Green Bay CEO Calls Buffalo "A Playoff Team Without A Great Quarterback"

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

#4 in points allowed, #4 in yardage and top ten in sacks ... so you're saying that Whaley built the 2014 defense that racked up those stats, right? 

He's right, that is indeed bull ****.

That defense was overwhelmingly built during Nix's tenure as GM. Whaley became GM on May 16th, 2013. So the starters on that excellent defense brought in during Whaley's tenure were:   Preston Brown

Brought in under Nix: Brandon Spikes, Jerry Hughes, Dareus, Bradham, Stephon Gilmore, nickel CB Robey-Coleman, Aaron Williams, Da'Norris Searcy

Brought in before Nix: Kyle Williams, Leodis McKelvin

Whaley may well have had some influence on some of Nix's picks, but it's impossible to know if or how much or even if Nix was overruling him sometimes. Saying Whaley "built" that defense is indeed ridiculous.

He also didn't even have, much less "build" a top ten offense. Offenses under Whaley's tenure were ranked:

2013: 19th

2014: 26th

2015: 13th

2016: 16th

I have found that you can repeat the facts over, and over, and over, but it doesn't change anything. They keep saying the same things.

The facts don't enter into it.

16 hours ago, Rico said:

It's "they made the playoffs after 17 years by trashing virtually everything that Whaley did."

So true. But it's what needed to be done. Buffalo's ceiling was 9-7 with the team Whaley put together.

I will always find it ironic that Whaley had leaks going to types like LaCanfora to malign Rex at the end of 2016 in hopes of getting RR fired so he could hire his own HC. And then, TPegs hires McD, who recognized fairly quickly Whaley wasn't going to work and more than likely pushed for the GM to be fired in favor of someone he could work with.

Whales won the battle but lost the war at OBD. 

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

To me, the whole Levy/Brandon/Nix/Whaley lineage was basically one administration anyways.  Just a series of passing the baton to buy another few years so the fans wont revolt.

And perhaps that was because all were working under an uncertain ownership situation. Moves were made for the now without an eye on the future. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

Murphy's pretty ignorant if he thinks Whaley put this year's team together, with how few of the players he drafted or signed are left. 

I'm pretty sure most people believe the Bills have had a playoff roster for the last 4 or 5 seasons.

1 minute ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

outstanding stat.   I hope he gets a chance to run the show somewhere.  He never got to put his coaching staff together 

This is the most convenient - as well as the most significant - fact that the Whaley haters like to "forget."

In my opinion, with the ownership issues (both RCW and Pegs) and the end around coaching hires, I think Whaley was nothing short of a !@#$ing miracle worker.

12 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

He should look at his own team this year LOL

I thought Doug did a fine job. He definitely left the Bill in better shape than when he found them.

people forget how horrible the roster was the day Buddy walked in the door.  far from perfect but they turned the thing around.  They never got a qb and then Pegs picked ryan and that was that .   

1 hour ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

people forget how horrible the roster was the day Buddy walked in the door.  far from perfect but they turned the thing around.  They never got a qb and then Pegs picked ryan and that was that .   

True.

Doug tried really hard to get us a QB.  He or somebody while he was there drafted EJ in the first.  He also brought in a bunch  free agents including Kyle, Dennis Dixon, Matt Flynn, Hotrod, Josh Johnson, and Matt Cassel.  Guys who had some success other places.  None of them worked out (except Hotrod) but it's not easy finding a franchise QB.  He signed the QB that was our starter when we ended the drought.  I give him kudos for that.

We'll see if the new crew is any better.  So far they've gotten us Nasty Nate, Joe Webb III, and TJ Yates.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

This is the most convenient - as well as the most significant - fact that the Whaley haters like to "forget."

In my opinion, with the ownership issues (both RCW and Pegs) and the end around coaching hires, I think Whaley was nothing short of a !@#$ing miracle worker.

Rumor has it he wanted to hire Coach McDermott last time, but Rex watched the Super Bowl with the Kim and Terry.  He was in on the coach search this time that resulted in the coach that ended the drought.  Gotta give him some credit for that.  Maybe partial credit :)

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

I’ve met a few people here in the Sacramento area that are Bills fans who have no ties to Western New York. It was the Kelly led offense that attracted them.

OK, I get the attraction but could the Sacramento drug scene be easing the suffering that we're all going through?

18 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Anybody I have met from WNY is a Bills fan. I love meeting them. Great guy at work, guys as good of a person as I have ever met. We all have our experiences. I know plenty of people like me exist.  Detroit market, the Bills were always on. We went to our first Super Bowl when I was 8. Somewhere in the 8-16 range you typically discover a team you like and that was an exciting team. I identified with the fan base over time. Our fan base stands for my value system. Buffalo has always felt like the perfect throwback. I can't not like the Bills, it didn't really feel like I got a choice in it either which I'm sure most you feel.   

I worked in Richmond VA, with a guy from the West Seneca area that was a Dolfelons fan.  Obviously severe head trauma as a child!

20 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

OK, I get the attraction but could the Sacramento drug scene be easing the suffering that we're all going through?

I worked in Richmond VA, with a guy from the West Seneca area that was a Dolfelons fan.  Obviously severe head trauma as a child!

That's gross dude

On January 11, 2018 at 3:38 PM, Chicken Boo said:

So you have to instigate the trade to get credit for it?  Moving the goal posts, are we?  How about the Hughes trade?  The acquisition of Alexander or Clay or Incognito?

You wouldn't have gone for that trade in a millisecond?  Would you have had to really think it over?  

Give Whaley credit for doing accepting an offered gift, I guess.....

There shouldn't be any doubt that Whaley had a strong eye for talent. Where I think he fell short was his team-building philosophy. I don't think he prioritized chemistry in the locker room. And I believe he did his best to provide his coaches the types of players they wanted but I also think he very much wanted his coaches to know that he got to make the final call. Probably why he has friction with both Marrone and Ryan. 

And he also fell short in believing that drafting players from winning programs, players accustomed to winning regularly would carry over to the professional level and help change the culture. Instead, he ended up with rosters full of pretty talented players who really didn't know how to unify and come together and develop ways to overcome adversity. 

McDermott has enjoyed early success because he's built a team of players who share similar mindsets. Players who just wanna win above all else, players that will be accountable and play for the guy next to them, players that put the team first and come in ready to do their job. 

The next step, I hope, is that they can start to develop a little swagger. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

You wouldn't have gone for that trade in a millisecond?  Would you have had to really think it over?  

Give Whaley credit for doing accepting an offered gift, I guess.....

How about for not giving up Woods along with Kiko?  Pretty sure there was a negotiation that happened there.

The biggest issue we have right now is that if e intend to drsft our franchise qb, we likely have to try and leapfrog the Broncos and Jets. First two picks are probably  qb so now we pick from allen or Mayfield . 

There are only so many qbs  to go around

Edited by DJB

11 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

How about for not giving up Woods along with Kiko?  Pretty sure there was a negotiation that happened there.

It was clear The Eagles wanted Kiko.  They were happy to hand over McCoy for nothing it turned out.

They initiated the trade and got what they got.  No points for shrewd negotiation/answering the phone.

On 1/12/2018 at 11:10 AM, Gugny said:

He never got to select the head coach yes.  Coaching staff GMs generally do not have input to and they should since some coaches will hire friends/relatives because they are comfortable with them rather than them being the best candidates. I think the GM should have veto power over them since team pays for them.  If a coach wants to hire out of their own salary that is a different story.  Biggest example recently is Ronnie Jones hired to coach special teams with no experience in special teams and is currently an assistant coach at a high school.  A GM should be able to fire coaches he feels are not doing a good job on and control duration of contracts coaches signed for since they get paid even if they are fired.

16 hours ago, blacklabel said:

There shouldn't be any doubt that Whaley had a strong eye for talent. Where I think he fell short was his team-building philosophy. I don't think he prioritized chemistry in the locker room. And I believe he did his best to provide his coaches the types of players they wanted but I also think he very much wanted his coaches to know that he got to make the final call. Probably why he has friction with both Marrone and Ryan. 

Nothing wrong with GM having final call.  In fact it is their job unless the coach has been given that role.  It is up to the coach (who does not work in scouting department except as auxiliary) to convince GM that is right choice.