Green Bay CEO Calls Buffalo "A Playoff Team Without A Great Quarterback"

3 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Can't really argue, although it's debatable this team will be back in the playoff mix next year given the impending roster overhaul.

But with a good offseason, looking forward to NP taking a major step forward and being the franchise QB that takes this team deep in the playoffs, whether it's next year or 2019 and beyond.

just end it with "in my opinion". 

do you have short term memory loss? I'm not going to dig for it but it was a thread, a thread you created after the lac game. remember that thread?

I do.

20 minutes ago, Foxx said:

hmm. i wonder if icebowl67 is the Packers GM....

all I know is after the game that was my initial thought. a QB away from advancing. drag

well, the monkey is off our back and I have a real strong sense we'll see a couple different QBs going in to next season and none with the name taylor

54 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Couldnt be more wrong. With the constant coaching turnover, Whaley basically put together MULTIPLE playoff caliber teams while in Buffalo.

Re-signed Cordy Glenn

Re-signed Eric Wood

Signed Incognito

Signed Groy

Drafted Miller (who I believe is being mis/under-used)

Drafted Dawkins

Signed Clay

Drafted O'Leary

Traded for McCoy

Re-signed Kyle (multiple times I believe)

Traded for Hughes

Drafted Washington

Signed Alexander

Signed Poyer

Signed Hyde

Drafted White

Drafted Milano

That's basically the foundation of this team.

Not to mention, his guys Searcy, Cockrell, Bradham, Watkins, Woods, Dareus, Seymour, Ragland, and Darby are ALL in the playoffs with other teams.

Wow - problem with people like @DrDawkinstein is that they want to give Whaley credit for everything that went right with the Bills - including credit for drafting mediocre players (Groy, O'Leary), players who can't get on the field (Miller), average players on other teams (Searcy, Cockrell, Seymour), and even players that were drafted by McDermott during his lame duck period (2016 draft). 

Look, Whaley made some nice moves - mostly related to pro personnel decisions.  I will give him that.  But he also had no long term vision and he hurt the team badly with suspect drafting.  And yes - he is responsible for EJ.   Bottom line Whaley is what his record was as GM - a mediocre to slightly below average GM who had no clue how to build a team a long term.  

So happy he is gone...Thank you Mr. Pegula for doing the right thing and getting rid of this bad GM.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

Murphy's pretty ignorant if he thinks Whaley put this year's team together, with how few of the players he drafted or signed are left. 

Sooooo other than Gaines, Benjamin and Matthews.... how many guys are definitively not Whaley?

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

QB's worth trading up for that weren't mediocre that he could've tried to trade up for or just fall into his lap when he was GM?

Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, AJ McCarron (maybe), Jameis Winston (maybe), Marcus Mariota (maybe), Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Dak Prescott, Patrick Mahomes (maybe), Deshaun Watson... 

Again, some of those we passed on (several times), some we would've had to trade up for, but those are all guys that could've been targeted had he wanted to that he didn't go after.

Winston went #1, Mariotta 2 so those weren't really options.  For Goff- The Titans received two first-round picks, two second-rounders, and two third-rounders in exchange for sending their No. 1 overall pick plus a fourth- and sixth-round pick to the Rams last year. For Trubisky- to move up one spot!  Look at the cost No. 2: San Francisco → Chicago (D). San Francisco traded their first-round selection (2nd) to Chicago in exchange for Chicago's first-, third-, and fourth-round selections (3rd, 67th, and 111th) as well as their third-round selection in 2018.[source 1].

Bridgewater can't stay healthy and can be signed at a fraction of his rookie contract this offseason.

Prescott we might of blown it- we selected Cardale instead.  hindsight is 20/20.  And besides Prescott is not Aaron Rogers.

Wentz cost philly plenty.  To move from No. 8 to No. 2 overall last April, the Eagles offered up a first-, third- and a fourth-round pick in 2016, a first-round pick in '17 and a second-round pick in '18 in exchange for the rights to Wentz and a '17 fourth-rounder.  Too rich for me.  I would rather have Clevelands draft picks

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Sooooo other than Gaines, Benjamin and Matthews.... how many guys are definitively not Whaley?

On defense alone: Kyle Williams, Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer, Tre White, Cedric Thornton, Milano, Leonard Johnson, Ryan Davis.

Take away those eight players, and what kind of defense do we have?

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

On defense alone: Kyle Williams, Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer, Tre White, Cedric Thornton, Milano, Leonard Johnson, Ryan Davis.

Take away those eight players, and what kind of defense do we have?

So we aren’t counting guys he signed or draft picks made while he was here as his? And to top it off we are pretending none of those spots would’ve otherwise been filled by anyone? 

35 minutes ago, Pete said:

Winston went #1, Mariotta 2 so those weren't really options.  For Goff- The Titans received two first-round picks, two second-rounders, and two third-rounders in exchange for sending their No. 1 overall pick plus a fourth- and sixth-round pick to the Rams last year. For Trubisky- to move up one spot!  Look at the cost No. 2: San Francisco → Chicago (D). San Francisco traded their first-round selection (2nd) to Chicago in exchange for Chicago's first-, third-, and fourth-round selections (3rd, 67th, and 111th) as well as their third-round selection in 2018.[source 1].

Bridgewater can't stay healthy and can be signed at a fraction of his rookie contract this offseason.

Prescott we might of blown it- we selected Cardale instead.  hindsight is 20/20.  And besides Prescott is not Aaron Rogers.

Wentz cost philly plenty.  To move from No. 8 to No. 2 overall last April, the Eagles offered up a first-, third- and a fourth-round pick in 2016, a first-round pick in '17 and a second-round pick in '18 in exchange for the rights to Wentz and a '17 fourth-rounder.  Too rich for me.  I would rather have Clevelands draft picks

I specified people we could've targetted had we wanted to trade away a bunch of picks, that's it.

I also mentioned QB's we passed on that weren't "mediocre/overhyped" and we could've drafted, nothing more.

I mentioned this in both posts.

Edited by BigDingus

3 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I specified people we could've targetted had we wanted to trade away a bunch of picks, that's it.

I also mentioned QB's we passed on that weren't overhyped and we could've drafted, nothing more.

I mentioned this in both posts.

We never had enough firepower to pull off any of those trades

Edited by Pete

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

We never had enough firepower to pull of any of those trades

That's highly debatable. We could've traded players (we had them), and picks from the current/future drafts.

Besides the year after Watkins, we've had 1st round picks...we've had 2nd round picks. And again, some of those QB's WE PASSED ON. We had the opportunity to draft them and chose not to, several times. 

If you want to staunchly defend that position, I'll provide what picks we had, who we chose, and what assets we had both pick-wise and personnel wise to argue the opposite.

Edited by BigDingus

3 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I have lived in Washington DC, Seattle, Chicago and Houston over a period of 35 years.  I have always found BILLS groups, and we were ALL from the area.

Anybody I have met from WNY is a Bills fan. I love meeting them. Great guy at work, guys as good of a person as I have ever met. We all have our experiences. I know plenty of people like me exist.  Detroit market, the Bills were always on. We went to our first Super Bowl when I was 8. Somewhere in the 8-16 range you typically discover a team you like and that was an exciting team. I identified with the fan base over time. Our fan base stands for my value system. Buffalo has always felt like the perfect throwback. I can't not like the Bills, it didn't really feel like I got a choice in it either which I'm sure most you feel.   

5 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

I'm not talking smack about Whaley, you're simply wrong on arguing this point. Yes, the trade fell into our laps. Sorry if that doesn't fit your narrative. 

No, actually it doesn't fit your narrative,  being that Whaley could have rejected the trade all together or given them Alonzo and Woods.

It takes 2 to tango.  The trade was made.  Give Whaley credit.

Just now, BigDingus said:

That's highly debatable. We could've traded players (we had them), and picks from the current/future drafts.

Besides the year after Watkins, we've had 1st round picks...we've had 2nd round picks. And again, some of those QB's WE PASSED ON. We had the opportunity to draft them and chose not to, several times.

look at what other teams had to give up.  We never had that.  And what Bills players the past 10 years have been trade worthy?  Dareus went for a 5th.  Sammy got us a 2nd and Gaines- and will be franchised this year. Those were probably our best player not named McCoy.  Oh yeah- he only cost Kiko.  I think you are seriously overestimating our talent and trade value.  

7 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I thought this was fascinating, not because it's about Tyrod (we have a zillion threads about that) but because it's rare for the GM/CEO of one team to be commenting about the personnel of another team.  It also suggests that Tyrod might have a hard time finding a starting gig if the Bills cut ties.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/09/fourth-candidate-confirmed-packers-gm-search/1018451001/

“Doug Whaley really did a job with the interview,” Murphy said. “I think it was not confirmed, but he was the fourth interview. I knew him a little bit, so I enjoyed having a chance to spend some time with him. I'm a Bills fan, so I follow the Bills a little more closely than some of the other teams.  “But he put together that roster, and it's a playoff team without a great quarterback. It made the playoffs. They have a good roster."

So we’re a playoff team without a great quarterback you say?

In other news, we landed on the moon.