Green Bay CEO Calls Buffalo "A Playoff Team Without A Great Quarterback"

2 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Yeah I'm not saying it's bad. I just found it strange he would announce it. 

I hear you. I’d expect that a lot of people grew up with a favorite team, but you rarely hear them talk about it. 

2 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

If you can find a biography on Murphy, he is a very interesting story. I was on his high school team, he was a star in three sports and the nicest guy you could ever meet. Not surprised he would make a statement like that. It's a helluva story making the Redskins as a free agent in the George Allen era and where his career led him after his playing days.

I was a couple years behind Murphy but do recall his athletic ability (and his red hair) on basketball and football teams.  Very nice, humble guy. 

When GB won the SB a few years ago, my wife (also Clarence grad) and I just stared at the TV (and each other) when his name was called and he accepted the trophy. It finally clicked he was the same guy.  We had lost track of him after the Redskins.

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I thought this was fascinating, not because it's about Tyrod (we have a zillion threads about that) but because it's rare for the GM/CEO of one team to be commenting about the personnel of another team.  It also suggests that Tyrod might have a hard time finding a starting gig if the Bills cut ties.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/09/fourth-candidate-confirmed-packers-gm-search/1018451001/

“Doug Whaley really did a job with the interview,” Murphy said. “I think it was not confirmed, but he was the fourth interview. I knew him a little bit, so I enjoyed having a chance to spend some time with him. I'm a Bills fan, so I follow the Bills a little more closely than some of the other teams.  “But he put together that roster, and it's a playoff team without a great quarterback. It made the playoffs. They have a good roster."

I really don't think any team wants him as their starting QB. There's a reason he took a pay cut last year to stay with the Bills, and it's because it was his best chance at being the guaranteed starter.

And this season he's looked even worse, so it's unlikely his prospects suddenly improved.

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Couldnt be more wrong. With the constant coaching turnover, Whaley basically put together MULTIPLE playoff caliber teams while in Buffalo.

Re-signed Cordy Glenn

Re-signed Eric Wood

Signed Incognito

Signed Groy

Drafted Miller (who I believe is being mis/under-used)

Drafted Dawkins

Signed Clay

Drafted O'Leary

Traded for McCoy

Re-signed Kyle (multiple times I believe)

Traded for Hughes

Drafted Washington

Signed Alexander

Signed Poyer

Signed Hyde

Drafted White

Drafted Milano

That's basically the foundation of this team. (edit: And Im not even mentioning starters who I dont like, such as Mills and Preston Brown, who are yet still starters on our Playoff team).

Not to mention, his guys Searcy, Cockrell, Bradham, Watkins, Woods, Dareus, Seymour, Ragland, and Darby are ALL in the playoffs with other teams.

Honestly, I really don't get the hate for Whaley. 

That said, I wouldn't give him credit for this years draft, and would put Nix's last draft on him. That is just how I feel about the lame-duck GMs, who are basically replaced before the draft. 

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

A testament to the great job Whaley did for us.  That 2015 was the most talented Bills team in 20 years, and very deep.  Rex set this team back.  Sure Whaley never got that franchise QB.  But with all our high picks- who would that be?  It has been **** coming out at the QB the past 7 years.  Would it have been better to package multiple picks and trade up for Blaine Gabbert?  IMO it is much better to draft for value BPA.  I do not, nor ever want the Bills to mortgage one/two drafts to overreach for an overhyped mediocre QB for the sake of filling a need

True, but there have been non-overhyped mediocre QB's that would've been worth trading away picks for during his tenure. 

Still not saying he sucked, he didn't, but we also can't ignore there were QB's there that would've been worth trading up for (or just having fall into our lap).

1 minute ago, Pete said:

such as?

QB's worth trading up for that weren't mediocre that he could've tried to trade up for or just fall into his lap when he was GM?

Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, AJ McCarron (maybe), Jameis Winston (maybe), Marcus Mariota (maybe), Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Dak Prescott, Patrick Mahomes (maybe), Deshaun Watson... 

Again, some of those we passed on (several times), some we would've had to trade up for, but those are all guys that could've been targeted had he wanted to that he didn't go after.

1 minute ago, nucci said:

Why...the 2014 defense was really good...all we talked about was we would have been a playoff team with just a decent offense that season.

Yes, if people look back at predictions leading into the 2015 season, people all said "just a QB away" from being a viable contender in the AFC playoff picture. We were the "hot" pick by many people, and with Rex supposedly being a defensive guru, the expectations were sky-high that we'd field a loaded team absent of a QB.

1 hour ago, KzooMike said:

You might be surprised how many current 30-40 year old's grew up as Bills fans during the Kelly era and stayed with the team. They had a large national presence in that era. Wasn't uncommon for them to be on national TV 75% of the games. 

I have lived in Washington DC, Seattle, Chicago and Houston over a period of 35 years.  I have always found BILLS groups, and we were ALL from the area.

5 minutes ago, QCity said:

Complete bulls*&t.

2014 defense was sick. We shut down Manning and Rogers that year. The D held the opposition to just 289 Points Against, 4th in the league. They were also 4th in yards against. That is certainly championship caliber. The team went 9-7, just like our new Playoff team, if the O had been any better they could have been a powerhouse. But, you know... Nate Hackett

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

2014 defense was sick. We shut down Manning and Rogers that year. The D held the opposition to just 289 Points Against, 4th in the league. They were also 4th in yards against. That is certainly championship caliber. The team went 9-7, just like our new Playoff team, if the O had been any better they could have been a powerhouse. But, you know... Nate Hackett

the defense was really aggressive too. Fun group to watch.

28 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

That roster was torn down by McDermott and company so which is it?

Whaley was a good evaluator of talent. His problem was being QB blind and Rex Ryan.

The guy back-loaded contracts galore and the bottom was going to eventually fall out. "Torn down" aka forced hand to make difficult yet necessary managerial decisions for the good of the future of the franchise.

The key to winning 9 games in the 2017 season was the secondary led by Hyde, Poyer and Tre White - none of which were acquired by Whaley. 

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Virtually everything Whaley did? 

Yea the team wouldn't have made the playoffs with Sammy Watkins and Marcell Dareus still here.?

They went 9-7. Not 12-4. 

Maybe not.

I'm not going to look back in fondness at anyone that had anything to do with the 2000 thru 2016 teams, !@#$ them all... of course unless they participated in this year's team like Kyle, he's off the schnied. I guess Fred is OK too.:D

Edited by Rico

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I thought this was fascinating, not because it's about Tyrod (we have a zillion threads about that) but because it's rare for the GM/CEO of one team to be commenting about the personnel of another team.  It also suggests that Tyrod might have a hard time finding a starting gig if the Bills cut ties.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/09/fourth-candidate-confirmed-packers-gm-search/1018451001/

“Doug Whaley really did a job with the interview,” Murphy said. “I think it was not confirmed, but he was the fourth interview. I knew him a little bit, so I enjoyed having a chance to spend some time with him. I'm a Bills fan, so I follow the Bills a little more closely than some of the other teams.  “But he put together that roster, and it's a playoff team without a great quarterback. It made the playoffs. They have a good roster."

hmm. i wonder if icebowl67 is the Packers GM....