Green Bay CEO Calls Buffalo "A Playoff Team Without A Great Quarterback"

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

So you have to instigate the trade to get credit for it?  Moving the goal posts, are we?  How about the Hughes trade?  The acquisition of Alexander or Clay or Incognito?

Those circumstances were all different. 

Hughes trade was peak Whales. Tough that he peaked a week before he officially had the job.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I thought this was fascinating, not because it's about Tyrod (we have a zillion threads about that) but because it's rare for the GM/CEO of one team to be commenting about the personnel of another team.  It also suggests that Tyrod might have a hard time finding a starting gig if the Bills cut ties.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/09/fourth-candidate-confirmed-packers-gm-search/1018451001/

“Doug Whaley really did a job with the interview,” Murphy said. “I think it was not confirmed, but he was the fourth interview. I knew him a little bit, so I enjoyed having a chance to spend some time with him. I'm a Bills fan, so I follow the Bills a little more closely than some of the other teams.  “But he put together that roster, and it's a playoff team without a great quarterback. It made the playoffs. They have a good roster."

Bills made the playoffs despite the roster Whaley left, certainly not because of it.

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

So you have to instigate the trade to get credit for it?  Moving the goal posts, are we?  How about the Hughes trade?  The acquisition of Alexander or Clay or Incognito?

I'm not talking smack about Whaley, you're simply wrong on arguing this point. Yes, the trade fell into our laps. Sorry if that doesn't fit your narrative. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Murphy is from Western New York .

38 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I think 99.99% of BILLS fans are.  It's mostly been our cross to bear.

You might be surprised how many current 30-40 year old's grew up as Bills fans during the Kelly era and stayed with the team. They had a large national presence in that era. Wasn't uncommon for them to be on national TV 75% of the games. 

Edited by KzooMike

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Couldnt be more wrong. With the constant coaching turnover, Whaley basically put together MULTIPLE playoff caliber teams while in Buffalo.

Re-signed Cordy Glenn

Re-signed Eric Wood

Signed Incognito

Signed Groy

Drafted Miller (who I believe is being mis/under-used)

Drafted Dawkins

Signed Clay

Drafted O'Leary

Traded for McCoy

Re-signed Kyle (multiple times I believe)

Traded for Hughes

Drafted Washington

Signed Alexander

Signed Poyer

Signed Hyde

Drafted White

Drafted Milano

That's basically the foundation of this team.

Not to mention, his guys Searcy, Cockrell, Bradham, Watkins, Woods, Dareus, Seymour, Ragland, and Darby are ALL in the playoffs with other teams.

This does reflect that Whaley is a good evaluator of talent.  He did not get to pick his coaches.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

This does reflect that Whaley is a good evaluator of talent.  He did not get to pick his coaches.

Right on. And I didnt even include the other FAs he brought in that have been let go (like Zach Brown, etc).

Through the 5 drafts Whaley was officially GM for, he drafted for:

3 different HCs

4 different OCs

4 different DCs

None of which he got to hand-pick himself.

I think it's unfair, if not flat out lazy, to look back and simply say "Whaley sucked!". Dude found a ton of talent when he needed to.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I think he was, too.  I like Doug Whaley.  Scoffers can think what they like.  EJ misfire hurt him a lot.  (Yes, Nix, but he signed off on it and people blame him, regardless.)  I think he would have picked Mahomes or Watson at #10 if he had power over the 2017 draft.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Couldnt be more wrong. With the constant coaching turnover, Whaley basically put together MULTIPLE playoff caliber teams while in Buffalo.

Re-signed Cordy Glenn

Re-signed Eric Wood

Signed Incognito

Signed Groy

Drafted Dawkins

Signed Clay

Drafted O'Leary

Traded for McCoy

Traded for Hughes

Drafted Washington

Signed Alexander

Signed Poyer

Signed Hyde

Drafted White

Drafted Milano

Not to mention, his guys Searcy, Cockrell, Bradham, Watkins, Woods, Dareus, Seymour, Ragland, and Darby are ALL in the playoffs with other teams.

A testament to the great job Whaley did for us.  That 2015 was the most talented Bills team in 20 years, and very deep.  Rex set this team back.  Sure Whaley never got that franchise QB.  But with all our high picks- who would that be?  It has been **** coming out at the QB the past 7 years.  Would it have been better to package multiple picks and trade up for Blaine Gabbert?  IMO it is much better to draft for value BPA.  I do not, nor ever want the Bills to mortgage one/two drafts to overreach for an overhyped mediocre QB for the sake of filling a need

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

The McCoy trade fell into his lap? ^_^

I know you probably hate Whaley, but give the man his due.

IMO DW tried to cater to what ever Marron wanted then catered to Rex and what ever he wanted. He never did it his way and In the end he tried to please two coaches and it cost him his job.

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Re-signed Cordy Glenn

Re-signed Eric Wood

Signed Incognito

Signed Groy

Drafted Dawkins

Signed Clay

Drafted O'Leary

Traded for McCoy

Traded for Hughes

Drafted Washington

Signed Alexander

Signed Poyer

Signed Hyde

Drafted White

Drafted Milano

Its a shame he couldn’t find a capable QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

Murphy's pretty ignorant if he thinks Whaley put this year's team together, with how few of the players he drafted or signed are left. 

He could have correctly stated the Whaley built a championship level defense, a top 10 offense and a top 5 special teams. Just not all in the same season, with 2 coaches that he didn't hire.