Green Bay CEO Calls Buffalo "A Playoff Team Without A Great Quarterback"

Can't really argue, although it's debatable this team will be back in the playoff mix next year given the impending roster overhaul.

But with a good offseason, looking forward to NP taking a major step forward and being the franchise QB that takes this team deep in the playoffs, whether it's next year or 2019 and beyond.

2 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Can't really argue, although it's debatable this team will be back in the playoff mix next year given the impending roster overhaul.

But with a good offseason, looking forward to NP taking a major step forward and being the franchise QB that takes this team deep in the playoffs, whether it's next year or 2019 and beyond.

In the time you typed that Peterman threw 3 picks and gave a rousing "I'll learn from this" presser.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I am looking forward to him holding a clip board for the duration of his rookie deal ;) 

If you can find a biography on Murphy, he is a very interesting story. I was on his high school team, he was a star in three sports and the nicest guy you could ever meet. Not surprised he would make a statement like that. It's a helluva story making the Redskins as a free agent in the George Allen era and where his career led him after his playing days.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

The McCoy trade fell into his lap? ^_^

I know you probably hate Whaley, but give the man his due.

I highly doubt Whaley would have given up one of his high 2013 draft picks, Alonso, so easily for McCoy. 

Whales (as Brandon called him) is a guy who, weeks into the 2015 season, traded the backup QB, Matt Cassel, to get Manuel on the game day roster.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Couldnt be more wrong. With the constant coaching turnover, Whaley basically put together MULTIPLE playoff caliber teams while in Buffalo.

Re-signed Eric Wood

Signed Incognito

Drafted Miller (who I believe is being mis/under-used)

Signed Clay (Clay has underperformed for the contract Whaley gave him, and is seen as a bad deal)

Drafted O'Leary

Traded for McCoy

Re-signed Kyle (multiple times I believe)

Traded for Hughes

Drafted Washington

Signed Alexander

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's basically the foundation of this team.

Not to mention, his guys Searcy, Cockrell, Bradham, Watkins, Woods, Dareus, Seymour, Ragland, and Darby are ALL in the playoffs with other teams.

While he may have technically been with the team through the draft, I wouldn't give him any credit for anything that was done after Sean McDermott was hired. 

He also gave Dareus that huge contract, that would have crippled us down the road. 

The Glenn signing doesn't look at hat good if he can't get back on the field, and Groy has been a backup all year. He couldn't beat out DuCasse, who most on here would agree is terrible. 

12 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

While he may have technically been with the team through the draft, I wouldn't give him any credit for anything that was done after Sean McDermott was hired. 

He also gave Dareus that huge contract, that would have crippled us down the road. 

The Glenn signing doesn't look at hat good if he can't get back on the field, and Groy has been a backup all year. He couldn't beat out DuCasse, who most on here would agree is terrible. 

It takes a team and full staff of scouts an entire year to put together a draft board, and scouting reports, and player profiles, and do interviews, etc., etc. McDermott did NOT have time to do his own recon while working as DC for the Panthers. That is not what coaches do, especially assistants.

While I agree that McD had a say in which specific players were drafted, just like all previous Bills HCs, he was definitely working off of Whaley's intelligence, information, and advisement. Each had equal hand in making that draft happen. It's also exactly why no matter who fell to us, McD was not going to draft a QB. He wanted his own GMs recon for a position that important. But White, Dawkins, and Milano were all standard Whaley guys.

Yes, he gave Dareus a huge contract, that at the time we ALL wanted to happen. Had he let our #3 overall choice, the highest draft pick the Bills had in over a decade, walk for nothing after his rookie contract was up, that would have been even worse. Just like the HCs get some credit/blame for the draft, some if not most of the details of that contract are on Overdorff who personally oversaw contracts and the cap. I won't ever say Whaley is completely innocent there, but he had to get Dareus signed.

Injuries are always hindsight, wrt Glenn, he still got the contract for our LT done, unlike most of the GMs before him. And I blame Castillo, who I say should be fired, for the way he has handled Groy and Miller while starting Ducasse.

The talent is there.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It takes a team and full staff of scouts an entire year to put together a draft board, and scouting reports, and player profiles, and do interviews, etc., etc. McDermott did NOT have time to do his own recon while working as DC for the Panthers. That is not what coaches do, especially assistants.

While I agree that McD had a say in which specific players were drafted, just like all previous Bills HCs, he was definitely working off of Whaley's intelligence, information, and advisement. Each had equal hand in making that draft happen. It's also exactly why no matter who fell to us, McD was not going to draft a QB. He wanted his own GMs recon for a position that important. But White, Dawkins, and Milano were all standard Whaley guys.

Yes, he gave Dareus a huge contract, that at the time we ALL wanted to happen. Had he let our #3 overall choice, the highest draft pick the Bills had in over a decade, walk for nothing after his rookie contract was up, that would have been even worse. Just like the HCs get some credit/blame for the draft, some if not most of the details of that contract are on Overdorff who personally oversaw contracts and the cap. I won't ever say Whaley is completely innocent there, but he had to get Dareus signed.

Injuries are always hindsight, wrt Glenn, he still got the contract for our LT done, unlike most of the GMs before him. And I blame Castillo, who I say should be fired, for the way he has handled Groy and Miller while starting Ducasse.

The talent is there.

It wasn't so much Dareus's huge contract, but the fact that there was no out or money we could get back when he was being a !@#$ up, that was the problem. 

47 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

The McCoy trade fell into his lap? ^_^

I know you probably hate Whaley, but give the man his due.

I give Whaley his due for being able to find the talent he found, especially in the middle rounds, and for the Hughes/McCoy trades. 

7 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

It wasn't so much Dareus's huge contract, but the fact that there was no out or money we could get back when he was being a !@#$ up, that was the problem. 

I'm aware, and agree. But those details were mostly Overdorff's responsibility. The buck stops at the GM (well, not really with Pegula's crappy flat structure, but I digress...) The buck stops at the GM, but the Bills had to get that contract done.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

You are so good at this!! You know the exact buttons to push and when to push them. 

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

So you have to instigate the trade to get credit for it?  Moving the goal posts, are we?  How about the Hughes trade?  The acquisition of Alexander or Clay or Incognito?

You're being absolutely ridiculous. Yes. If he'd called and asked for McCoy, then offered Kiko and it was accepted, it would be a completely different animal.