Green Bay CEO Calls Buffalo "A Playoff Team Without A Great Quarterback"

I thought this was fascinating, not because it's about Tyrod (we have a zillion threads about that) but because it's rare for the GM/CEO of one team to be commenting about the personnel of another team.  It also suggests that Tyrod might have a hard time finding a starting gig if the Bills cut ties.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/09/fourth-candidate-confirmed-packers-gm-search/1018451001/

“Doug Whaley really did a job with the interview,” Murphy said. “I think it was not confirmed, but he was the fourth interview. I knew him a little bit, so I enjoyed having a chance to spend some time with him. I'm a Bills fan, so I follow the Bills a little more closely than some of the other teams.  “But he put together that roster, and it's a playoff team without a great quarterback. It made the playoffs. They have a good roster."

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I thought this was fascinating, not because it's about Tyrod (we have a zillion threads about that) but because it's rare for the GM/CEO of one team to be commenting about the personnel of another team.  It also suggests that Tyrod might have a hard time finding a starting gig if the Bills cut ties.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/09/fourth-candidate-confirmed-packers-gm-search/1018451001/

“Doug Whaley really did a job with the interview,” Murphy said. “I think it was not confirmed, but he was the fourth interview. I knew him a little bit, so I enjoyed having a chance to spend some time with him. I'm a Bills fan, so I follow the Bills a little more closely than some of the other teams.  “But he put together that roster, and it's a playoff team without a great quarterback. It made the playoffs. They have a good roster."

Murphy played at Clarence High School.  

4 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

Murphy's pretty ignorant if he thinks Whaley put this year's team together, with how few of the players he drafted or signed are left. 

The only lasting thing Whaley gave this team is McCoy...and let's be honest. That trade fell into his lap. And it helps when Chip Kelly is a moron. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Yeah I'm not saying it's bad. I just found it strange he would announce it. 

Imagine if Beane said something like "I'm a big Vikings fan!" - TBD would melt down at the gall of a Bills GM liking anything other than the Bills! :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

The only lasting thing Whaley gave this team is McCoy...and let's be honest. That trade fell into his lap. And it helps when Chip Kelly is a moron. 

The McCoy trade fell into his lap? ^_^

I know you probably hate Whaley, but give the man his due.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Philadelphia called US to offer McCoy. Asked for Woods and Kiko and accepted a counter of Kiko. We were not the instigators of that trade. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Philadelphia called US to offer McCoy. Asked for Woods and Kiko and accepted a counter of Kiko. We were not the instigators of that trade. 

So you have to instigate the trade to get credit for it?  Moving the goal posts, are we?  How about the Hughes trade?  The acquisition of Alexander or Clay or Incognito?

7 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Story was Kelly called him. All Whaley did was tell Kelly to look at the roster. Kelly called back and said Kiko. Yea...fell into his lap. 

He did some things well. Creating a foundation for success going forward was not one of them.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

Murphy's pretty ignorant if he thinks Whaley put this year's team together, with how few of the players he drafted or signed are left. 

Couldnt be more wrong. With the constant coaching turnover, Whaley basically put together MULTIPLE playoff caliber teams while in Buffalo.

Re-signed Cordy Glenn

Re-signed Eric Wood

Signed Incognito

Signed Groy

Drafted Miller (who I believe is being mis/under-used)

Drafted Dawkins

Signed Clay

Drafted O'Leary

Traded for McCoy

Re-signed Kyle (multiple times I believe)

Traded for Hughes

Drafted Washington

Signed Alexander

Signed Poyer

Signed Hyde

Drafted White

Drafted Milano

That's basically the foundation of this team. (edit: And Im not even mentioning starters who I dont like, such as Tyrod, Mills and Preston Brown, who are yet still starters on our Playoff team).

Not to mention, his guys Searcy, Cockrell, Bradham, Watkins, Woods, Dareus, Seymour, Ragland, and Darby are ALL in the playoffs with other teams.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2