What does Buffalo need to improve

Ice bowl 67

6 hours ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

In order to become a Super Bowl caliber team next year? Which areas of the team defensively and on offense?

In order of priority...

1. Kirk Cousins at quarterback

2. A new offensive coordinator (Bevell, Shula, or Chudzinski would suffice)

3. Upgrade at starting defensive end opposite Hughes

4. Upgrade at starting DT opposite KWill (or if KWill decides to retire, two of them)

5. Upgrade at starting outside linebacker positions

6. Upgrade at starting WR opposite Kelvin Benjamin

7. Upgrades at the starting RT and RG positions

8. Upgrade at MLB

9. Talented, young backup running backs

10. Better depth

Beane has his work cut out for him this offseason.

OOOOOOOCCCCCCCC.....a brand new one...IMO......Fix the one side of the O line......new QB will help (depending on who they go with).....LB's....Big NT....a downfield Vet WR ....our secondary is very good.....please retain Gaines w/White and for all things holy please keep Hyde/Poyer.......dump Tolbert for crying out loud....no business for him being a 2nd RB.......than there are all those picks we have in the draft....im excited!                      hopefully......

1 hour ago, Manther said:

I thought Glenn was really good in pass protection with Chan Gailey.  It was Chan’s last year and Glenn’s first.

Glenn was really good in pass protection as a rookie LT.

There are 5 guys on the line. 1 guy does not make the unit good at pass protection.

And as I said, Glenn has a very good chance of being gone.

3 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

There are 5 guys on the line. 1 guy does not make the unit good at pass protection.

I am just stating that I think Glenn is good in pass protection and I have seen him be good at pass protection.

Just now, PolishDave said:

Yeah.   Of the 5 he is probably the best and worth keeping if he stayed healthy.

Agreed.  I hope he stays healthy AND the coaches have an open mind on Cordy.  If both those things happen (big IF) then we have a great T.  Fingers crossed, if this happens we get a lot better, a lot quicker.

Go Bills!

6 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

CAN you win a SB without a franchise QB anymore? Maybe. But, the rest of your team better be phenomenal. Our Defense needs 5 major pieces and I doubt we can get playmakers at LB AND DT AND DE in order to get to that step. The fastest way to improve your team is with a franchise QB and then you least have a SHOT to win games for 10-12 years. QB is priority 1-10 for this team.  

I think it's probably easier to build a top 5 defense and a good QB than it is to find the next Peyton Manning.  Good luck though.  There are only about 10 like you talk about in the whole world.

3 hours ago, PolishDave said:

Serious question.  Why do yall want to run off Glenn?  We need good offensive linemen to protect that new franchise QB.

Edited by reddogblitz

Addition by subtraction of Rex the team should have been better.  

I had said this when I came here last spring.  

A qualified QB  (not a faux one) should be enough to get the one or two wins.  

Three three point games with a very good 3rd down conversion rate has to point to the guy under center more than the OC.  

40 minutes ago, boater said:

Improve..?

The coaching adjustments between the first and second half.

THIS and it applies specifically to the offense. Counting the OT winner The Bills have ONLY SCORED 2 SECOND HALF TOUCHDOWNS since the Chargers game. That was Week 11. I really cannot stress enough how much the offense let us down for the FINAL THIRD of the season. Anyone on this board telling me Dennison or TT should stay need to look at that stat and realize there is ZERO excuse for it.  

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Serious question.  Why do yall want to run off Glenn?  We need good offensive linemen to protect that new franchise QB.

I don't want to run him off.    I think McDermott does though. - Probably because of durability.

1.Qb. Not making mistakes is great, but only part of the equation.

2. O line.  Give the Qb time and the Rb holes.

3. D line. Shut down the other team's run game and get consistent pressure.

4. Lb. Depth and reliable tackling to take pressure off secondary.

5. Wr.  Guys who can get separation and stay healthy.

6.A difference maker on special teams.  Either a dangerous returner or someone who can create blocked kicks or turnovers.

A QB Capable of reading defenses and adjusting at the line. OC that can give said QB plays that he can use to adjust too. If we go to a less mobile QB then we need to fix up the right side of the Oline or QB will be a sitting duck. Need a big physical Nose Tackle DT that can make teams think twice about running up the middle but also capable of creating pressure up the middle on passing plays. Another speedy LB that can run sideline to sideline and cover TE's. We need a backup running back to spell shady that can still be effective either through draft or free agency and possibly take over for Shady when he retires. Another Speedy option at WR wouldn't hurt shame we lost Goodwin.

19 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...QB, OL/DL, DL/OL, and a backup RB for starters....BTW Ice, what are your thoughts about the Thompson ouster and McCarthy still as HC?..................

I liked getting rid of Thompson. It was a good move and I think McCarthy is a good HC but too stubborn. He should have put Callahan in at QB way earlier rather than keeping Hundley in there.

23 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Pretty much everything. There are huge holes on both sides of the ball at every level. The more poignant question is which positions will the Bills be forced to IGNORE in the offseason. They can fix everything.

We have one of the best secondaries in the league..if we had any type of a pass rush they would be "shutdown".