Bills' Free Agent Stay or Go List.

Unrestricted Free Agents To Keep

RB Travaris Cadet
WR Deonte Thompson - if cheap 
DL Kyle Williams
LB Preston Brown - Only at our price. I'm not overpaying this guy because he led the league in tackles.  
CB EJ Gaines - Only on a team-friendly deal tied to the number of games he plays. 

Exclusive Rights Free Agents - Keep Them All

TE Nick O’Leary
TE Logan Thomas

DE Eddie Yarbrough

CB Lafayette Pitts

Edited by ndirish1978

RB Taiwan Jones

WR Jordan Matthews

DL Kyle Williams

CB EJ Gaines

That's my definite keep list.

Gaines is mandatory, plays well in MCD system, and our secondary was one of our strengths, night as well keep them together.

KW is a no brainier. He's earned the right to play with us until he hangs up the cleats, and is still has enough in the tank.

Matthews I think we should make a fair offer to.

I'm tired of losing good WRs due to a perceived lack of production when they've had "tentative tyrod" throwing to them.

Taiwan Jones based solely on his name.

1 hour ago, mob16151 said:

Is it wierd I want them to keep Webb?

I would be fine with it.  But, he will be QB4 instead of QB3.  I would assume we draft a QB, sign or trade for a vet and Peterman.  So, 3 QBs next year.

But, I think there is value to Webb and his flexibility and versatility. 

I am having a tough time with Preston Brown. I don't think he is very good and I think he is extremely slow. The problem is that the free agent landscape is barren and I am not so sure if there is a game changing MIKE in the draft aside from Georgia's Smith. Tahir Whitehead, Mason Foster, Christian Jones, Will Compton...those are the type of MLB available in free agency this year, and I'm not so sure they are upgrades over Preston. Tahir Whitehead is probably the best of the bunch. I really wouldn't mind Preston coming back and sliding into the part time SAM spot that Lorax occupied. He's actually a pretty good fit for that spot as he can set an edge and also has very long arms. I don't hate him coming back, but he has to move to SAM and be a two down player.

We really need a game changing MIKE, and outside of Roquan Smith, I just don't see one anywhere. 

Although I would like to keep Jordan Matthews I think he will command a higher cost than worth keeping. Gaines is a must to resign, dude was a big part of the teams secondary. If Deonte Thompson could be had for cheap he certainly would be good depth if affordable. On top of that I think O'Leary is a nice backup player worth keeping. Not sure if the other secondary players are worth keeping or not. Kyle Williams I hope hangs it up, he was still a pretty solid player but far from the dominant player he once was. I would rather see him hang it up after leading the team to the playoffs and still being an effective player. 

I think Gaines is the one big must keep though. 

14 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yes, that's a long list of current roster players but with all the draft picks the Bills acquired it ends up being a numbers game. Throw in a few free agent acquisitions and don't think the decisions will be all that hard for the front office. Like every year the entire offseason will come down to three of four players on the hot seat.

There aren't that many starters on the list, Matthews, Gaines, Preston Brown, and Kyle being the only major starters that are free agents (And I think outside of Gaines there aren't any must keep players.). You can cherry pick the best backups on the rest of the list like O'Leary and let the rest go. I think that the list is pretty manageable esp considering the team has decent cap space and a lot of draft capital. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, stony said:

He is the man, but he's not the same player he was.  And that's fine.  But for a 34 yr old making $7.5, what's a reasonable number to bring him back?  Will he be willing to take 50% less on a 1 yr deal?  

Disagree, he is not getting run over and still making plays. When we get a big DT next him , his numbers will go back up, not that they were bad.

We must keep Tate at all costs.  I don't think I could get through a Sunday without screaming at the TV "for the love of God just kneel down" every time we are receiving a kick off, before starting at our own 17.  :wub:

The fact that this list is so large, and I don't see too many players I think they'll keep, makes me believe they will keep their picks. It also makes me think they'd move back out of the first if the opportunity presents itself. I see McDermott/Beane clashing here. Beane made it clear he wants a QB. But I believe McDermott would value a deeper, more consistent roster. With lots of holes to fill, including QB, the question becomes 'who wins'? 

Beane, and go all in on the QB position in the draft, patch through FA? 

Or 

McClapper, draft as many of their 'guys' to beef up roster and fill vacant holes, taking a QB where they feel comfortable doing so without moving up. I see McD wanting to fill the QB void with a vet in FA 

Just my two cents 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

On 1/10/2018 at 9:44 PM, TigerJ said:

Here's a little cut and paste job if all you want is names and don't care to read the whole article.

Unrestricted Free Agents

QB Joe Webb

RB Mike Tolbert
RB Travaris Cadet
RB Taiwan Jones

WR Deonte Thompson
WR Jordan Matthews
WR Brandon ate
WR Jeremy Butler

OT Seantrel Henderson

DL Kyle Williams
DL Cedric Thornton

LB Preston Brown
LB Ramon Humber

CB EJ Gaines
CB Leonard Johnson
CB Shareece Wright

S Colt Anderson
S Shamarko Thomas

Exclusive Rights Free Agents

TE Nick O’Leary
TE Logan Thomas

DE Eddie Yarbrough

CB Lafayette Pitts

By the way, I wonder what it was that Brandon ate.

Out of that list, all depending on contract demands I'd take: Cade, Henderson (I know, but kid has so much promise), Kyle (of course if he decided to come back), Gaines (aforementioned price issue), O'Leary (duh?), Yarbrough....Preston and Cedric as depth signings...Preston is not a starter in McD's style of Offense, but he can be an asset if used properly.

Honorable Mention: Logan Thomas, he's still making the transition and does have great athleticism, but  at this point I just want the Bills to find another TE that is similar to O'Leary.

3 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Out of that list, all depending on contract demands I'd take: Cade, Henderson (I know, but kid has so much promise), Kyle (of course if he decided to come back), Gaines (aforementioned price issue), O'Leary (duh?), Yarbrough....Preston and Cedric as depth signings...Preston is not a starter in McD's style of Offense, but he can be an asset if used properly.

Honorable Mention: Logan Thomas, he's still making the transition and does have great athleticism, but  at this point I just want the Bills to find another TE that is similar to O'Leary.

Preston is going to want to start and he probably will command a decent salary given his experience, if you are retaining Brown it is not going to be as a backup. The  Bills have 38 million in cap space, they could retain Gaines and maybe Kyle and cherry pick the rest for somewhere between 15-18 million depending on what Kyle commands. That would leave them with around 20-23 million in cap space. However you do have some hefty salaries on the roster like Tyrod, Glenn, Hughes, and Clay, I suspect that the Bills will try to restructure one or two of those bigger salaries to free up a little more space. 

I would like for the Bills to make one or two significant moves in free agency, they don't have to go crazy but the DT market is a buyers market and they need at least one good DT, they could also look at the LB market, Miliano is the only LB worth bringing back as a starter, you should at least plug one of those 2 LB spots with a solid free agent. 

On 1/10/2018 at 10:17 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

He was awful. He looked so slow. I'd love to see an upgrade in the return game. We simply got no explosive plays back there this year. 

I wouldn't mind keeping Tawain as a 3rd RB/KR/PR. He's shifty and has good vision. Probably won't cost much after coming off of injury.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

I wouldn't mind keeping Tawain as a 3rd RB/KR/PR. He's shifty and has good vision. Probably won't cost much after coming off of injury.

I thought he was doing a really nice job as a gunner as well. He'd be a good keep. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Preston is going to want to start and he probably will command a decent salary given his experience, if you are retaining Brown it is not going to be as a backup. The  Bills have 38 million in cap space, they could retain Gaines and maybe Kyle and cherry pick the rest for somewhere between 15-18 million depending on what Kyle commands. That would leave them with around 20-23 million in cap space. However you do have some hefty salaries on the roster like Tyrod, Glenn, Hughes, and Clay, I suspect that the Bills will try to restructure one or two of those bigger salaries to free up a little more space. 

I would like for the Bills to make one or two significant moves in free agency, they don't have to go crazy but the DT market is a buyers market and they need at least one good DT, they could also look at the LB market, Miliano is the only LB worth bringing back as a starter, you should at least plug one of those 2 LB spots with a solid free agent. 

And when you take off the salaries of those guys who are most likely not on the team next year, your Cap space balloons to about $60 million. That's where I think the Bills would be if they found a way to trade or cut, Tyrod, Richie, Hughes and Glenn....

36 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I thought he was doing a really nice job as a gunner as well. He'd be a good keep. 

Good point. You would think that versatile guys like him would have a better chance to stick around. Those are the type of signings that I expect between now and FA.

He may not be the best option at RB if the top two go down, but that run late in the Bucs game shows that he's at least capable.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
  • Like (+1) 1

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:44 PM, TigerJ said:

Here's a little cut and paste job if all you want is names and don't care to read the whole article.

Unrestricted Free Agents

QB Joe Webb - go  A QB needs to be able to throw the ball.  He can't.

RB Mike Tolbert - stay
RB Travaris Cadet - go
RB Taiwan Jones - go

WR Deonte Thompson - stay
WR Jordan Matthews - stay at the right price
WR Brandon ate - whatever
WR Jeremy Butler - whatever

OT Seantrel Henderson - stay

DL Kyle Williams - is going to retire
DL Cedric Thornton - go

LB Preston Brown - stay
LB Ramon Humber - go

CB EJ Gaines - stay
CB Leonard Johnson - stay
CB Shareece Wright - whatever

S Colt Anderson - go
S Shamarko Thomas - go

Exclusive Rights Free Agents

TE Nick O’Leary - stay
TE Logan Thomas - stay

DE Eddie Yarbrough - stay

CB Lafayette Pitts- stay

By the way, I wonder what it was that Brandon ate.

1 hour ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

We are likely drafting a back this year at some point. He's never really stayed healthy anywhere and he's never really produced anything anywhere.  You don't pay a player like this the vet minimum, you find a rookie to do what he did and save the cap space.

Edited by That's No Moon

7 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

And when you take off the salaries of those guys who are most likely not on the team next year, your Cap space balloons to about $60 million. That's where I think the Bills would be if they found a way to trade or cut, Tyrod, Richie, Hughes and Glenn....

Cutting Glenn and Hughes only save you about 9+ million in 2018, cutting Charles Clay saves you nothing unless you do a post June 1st cut but that eats into two years worth of cap. This team was put in a lot of bad contracts cap wise during the previous administration. I think you could restructure Glenn and save 7 million which I think will happen. Hughes you are better off cutting in 2019 and saving nearly the full amount of his contract. If the Bills do clean house on these vets it's a move to build cap space for 2019 not 2018. 2019 could see the Bills have massive cap space since Dareus's cap penalty goes away freeing up 14 million and if you cut Hughes, Glenn, and Clay you see a windfall of freed up space but you just don't see that space until 2019. 

Richie should stay for one more year but he would actually save you 6 million if cut. He played well this past season even if he wasn't as dominant as he was in 2015-2016 he still played above average and I think the team could get one more year out of him and his contract number for an above average guard is pretty reasonable, draft a guard in round 4 and have him learn for a season then let Richie go in free agency. 

Tyrod I would say is more than likely gone but the veteran they will replace him with will cost as much if not more than him so there is no savings on that contract. Looking at the other big ticket items on the roster I say Shady is safe they should try to get one more good year out of him, draft a RB circa round 3 and have him learn for a season. 

Edited by billsfan89