WNY ratings for National Championship

Kirby Jackson

9 hours ago, Cynical said:

What is there to fix? Before the post season, the CFB Playoff rankings, the AP rankings, and the coaches poll rankings all had the same 4 teams.

Yes, congrats to the undefeated UCF Participation National Champions.

You listed how it is a fix. UCF beat everyone put in front of them, and the team that beat both Alabama and Georgia and never had an opportunity due to human judgments. 

It is completely a rigged system inside and out filled with human biases and at no point relying upon a standardized system with a methodology that determines who gets in. It's a joke. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

29 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You listed how it is a fix. UCF beat everyone put in front of them, and the team that beat both Alabama and Georgia and never had an opportunity due to human judgments. 

It is completely a rigged system inside and out filled with human biases and at no point relying upon a standardized system with a methodology that determines who gets in. It's a joke. 

I did not list how it was fixed. I listed how 3 different groups came to the same conclusion.

So unless you can supply some kind of proof of collaboration among the 3 groups so they all produced the same rankings, it's not "fixed" or "rigged".

As for Auburn, the last time I looked, got stomped by UGA in the SECCG.

There are 128 teams across 10 divisions plus independents. How do you standardized that? Do you block the independents from playoff eligibility? If the independents are allowed to play, what methodology or test is used to make that determination?

On 11/01/2018 at 1:59 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

Agreed, they have a legit chance to run the table. They might be ranked. Will anyone notice/care? 

Both men's and women's basketball teams are #28 in RPI this week. Do people care? A little. The men's games get between 3-5,000 attendance.

3 hours ago, Cynical said:

I did not list how it was fixed. I listed how 3 different groups came to the same conclusion.

So unless you can supply some kind of proof of collaboration among the 3 groups so they all produced the same rankings, it's not "fixed" or "rigged".

As for Auburn, the last time I looked, got stomped by UGA in the SECCG.

There are 128 teams across 10 divisions plus independents. How do you standardized that? Do you block the independents from playoff eligibility? If the independents are allowed to play, what methodology or test is used to make that determination?

Different groups?  Hardly.  They all operate with the same shared goal:  to maximize short term profits.

That's why a loss in November is absolutely fatal to virtually every college football team.  But to Alambama?  Nope, you get a freebie, every time.

And it's not about who is assumed to be 'better' by biased humans, it's about who is more deserving.  Teams that fail to qualify for even their conference championship are clearly not deserving of an opportunity to play for a national championship.

You want to know how to standardize it?  Easy.  Only conference champions go to the playoffs, period.   But then we couldn't rig it to have multiple teams come from the southeast that will help to maximize ratings and advertising rates.

"Participation Champions" indeed.  Now that's some funny irony.

Edited by KD in CA

On 1/11/2018 at 2:16 PM, plenzmd1 said:

UB started football in 1930, so yes , after you lived  there

On 1/11/2018 at 5:50 PM, Augie said:

I guess it tells you something if I didn’t even know the program existed. 

Actually, UB gave up football after 1970, started a Division 3 team several years later, and didn't get back into Division 1 until 1999. 

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They’ve always cared about college basketball. 

At UB?  The picture in the Buffalo News this weekend had the backdrop of courtside sideline seats and I think I saw 4 people in about 25 seats pictured. 

1 minute ago, bbb said:

At UB?  The picture in the Buffalo News this weekend had the backdrop of courtside sideline seats and I think I saw 4 people in about 25 seats pictured. 

College basketball in general has been fairly popular in WNY. You had the Little 3, the Big 4, Bob Lanier, Christian Laettner, Calvin Murphy, etc... I’d venture to say that college basketball ratings in WNY are better than the NBA ratings. That’s a guess but it wouldn’t shock me. That’s not even close to the case in the rest of the country. My point was WNY has always had an interest in college basketball but as little interest in college football as pretty much anywhere in the country. That’s interesting to me.

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

College basketball in general has been fairly popular in WNY. You had the Little 3, the Big 4, Bob Lanier, Christian Laettner, Calvin Murphy, etc... I’d venture to say that college basketball ratings in WNY are better than the NBA ratings. That’s a guess but it wouldn’t shock me. That’s not even close to the case in the rest of the country. My point was WNY has always had an interest in college basketball but as little interest in college football as pretty much anywhere in the country. That’s interesting to me.

This is what a Bona crowd looks like vs. what a UB crowd looks like (granted, the students were not here for this UB game, but students were gone for the UMass-Bona game and it was packed - but I can't find a picture of that game.  This is the Yale game 12/9):

bonaizaiahjpg-083128f544342112.jpg

The picture from the paper this weekend:

1009471698%20UBMhoops%20scull%2015.JPG

3 minutes ago, bbb said:

This is what a Bona crowd looks like vs. what a UB crowd looks like (granted, the students were not here for this UB game, but students were gone for the UMass-Bona game and it was packed - but I can't find a picture of that game.  This is the Yale game 12/9):

UB was sold out last game I believe. Either way my point wasn’t about UB. It was about WNY and their lack of interest in college football. 

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

UB was sold out last game I believe. Either way my point wasn’t about UB. It was about WNY and their lack of interest in college football. 

Witherspoon is a perfect fit for Canisius. He is a good recruiter and is smart about getting the right type of recruit who would fit in their niche environment. He is not going to go after the four star recruit because that caliber of player is going to prefer the more high profile setting. A Witherspoon team is a well coached team and a team that improves as the season advances. 

I would love to see UB, Canisius, Niagara and Bona collectively upgrade their programs and revitalize a once intense and entertaining local rivalry. Hurley did a good job at Buffalo in his short stay there and parlayed that effort into the Arizona State job where he is also doing a terrific job. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Witherspoon is a perfect fit for Canisius. He is a good recruiter and is smart about getting the right type of recruit who would fit in their niche environment. He is not going to go after the four star recruit because that caliber of player is going to prefer the more high profile setting. A Witherspoon team is a well coached team and a team that improves as the season advances. 

I would love to see UB, Canisius, Niagara and Bona collectively upgrade their programs and revitalize a once intense and entertaining local rivalry. Hurley did a good job at Buffalo in his short stay there and parlayed that effort into the Arizona State job where he is also doing a terrific job. 

I’m a Canisius guy (we are season ticket holders) and I’m happy to see this team that they have on the floor. I went to the Rider game when I was homeboy over the holidays and was impressed with the level of talent Reggie had assembled. They are young but may be (and probably are) the best team in the MAAC.

UB and Bona are plenty talented and can be tournament teams. Niagara is improving as well. This is a great time for college basketball in WNY. It’s POSSIBLE that they have 2-3 NCAA teams!! 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

26 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Who debated that?

17 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Both men's and women's basketball teams are #28 in RPI this week. Do people care? A little. The men's games get between 3-5,000 attendance.

He was talking about UB. 

1 minute ago, bbb said:

He was talking about UB. 

FYI: Latest RPI has UB at #26!!

44 minutes ago, bbb said:

What else is there to do in Olean?  :devil:

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

FYI: Latest RPI has UB at #26!!

I would be very glad about that, since it would help Bona's case in March, seeing that we beat UB.........But, Bona has crashed and burned the last two weeks, and the only way we're getting in is if we win the A10 tourney. 

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m a Canisius guy (we are season ticket holders) and I’m happy to see this team that they have on the floor. I went to the Rider game when I was homeboy over the holidays and was impressed with the level of talent Reggie had assembled. They are young but may be (and probably are) the best team in the MAAC.

UB and Bona are plenty talented and can be tournament teams. Niagara is improving as well. This is a great time for college basketball in WNY. It’s POSSIBLE that they have 2-3 NCAA teams!! 

This Canisius team is a young team. So much wasn't expected this year. However, Reggie has coached them up. They play good team ball with good ball movement. With Reggie if you don't play defense you don't play. He is an old school coach who makes his players earn playing time. If your effort lags in practice then your asss is going to be attached to the bench come game time. 

Canisius has had a string of good coaches. But what sets him apart from the prior coaches is that he is a more aggressive recruiter with a wider radius to draw from. He sees Canada as a rich location to draw from. In the college ranks there are a lot of sharks in the coaching ranks. Witherspoon is a high character guy with a moral compass. His demeanor is tranquil but the core is steel. I like him a lot. And as a Canisus grad I'm proud to have a person like this represent the school. 

On 1/14/2018 at 7:21 PM, Ol Dirty B said:

UCF’s schedule was a joke. And beating a middling uninspired Auburn proves little. 

6 hours ago, iinii said:

UCF’s schedule was a joke. And beating a middling uninspired Auburn proves little. 

They were undefeated and Auburn' s inspiration isn't their problem.

Auburn was playing for a playoff spot in that sec championship game. That's not really middling. But whatever finebaum tells ya, go for it.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.