OC & QB coaches

CEN-CAL17

Currently we have Rick Dennison as our OC. Don’t think many fans have an overall issue with his offense, it’s just he doesn’t run it very well or at all.

Dennison also has 1 year experience as a QB coach. Not really necessary as an OC but could be very helpful.

Current QB coach is David Culley a prior staff member under Andy Reid in Philadelphia , zero NFL player experience. QB coaching experience prior Buffalo was at Middle Tennessee State in 1982 and SW Louisiana from 1985-1988.

Current OC candidate that is available is Mike McCoy runs basically the same system as Dennison but the past says his play calling ability is much better, but also has 6 years NFL QB coaching experience.

Current QB coach that is available is Ken Dorsey, worked on same staff as McD, has player experience as a QB at the NFL level and has 5 years QB coaching experience.

Seems like a no brainer!!! You got guys  on the street with TONs of knowledge at positions we need improvement as far as the Coaching Staff goes. Let Dennison go, Bring in McCoy and find Culley an Offensive Assistant job elsewhere or let him go. But if this FO is serious about getting a future Rookie QB, have a Vet groom him with the right coaching staff they need to make these changes.

Its night and day as far as experience goes in 2 coaching positions the Bills currently have and whats available.

The changes would seem to be an easy transition with so much to gained. It’s right there too! Just make the business move!

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

McCoy's playcalling is not much better.  It stinks to high heaven.  

Well like I said he’s had success in the past. And I feel he’s an improvement over Dennison, no real major changes in scheme. Plus also experience alone at the multiple positions I feel helps.

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1

26 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Well like I said he’s had success in the past. And I feel he’s an improvement over Dennison, no real major changes in scheme. Plus also experience alone at the multiple positions I feel helps.

Not much success in the past and he is not an improvement on Dennison.  He just got fired for doing worse than Dennison in his job.  Mike McCoy would be an atrocious hire as OC.  You would all be thinking "hey, Rico wasn't too bad" by week 5.  

McCoy's offensive rankings as an offensive coordinator:

2017 Broncos (10 games) - Pts: 27th; Yrds: 18th

2012 Broncos - Pts: 2nd; Yrds: 4th

2011 Broncos - Pts: 25th; Yrds: 23rd

2010 Broncos - Pts: 19th; Yrds 13th

2009 Broncos - Pts: 20th; Yrds: 15th

2012 is a huge outlier.  Why?  Well he had Peyton Manning at Quarterback.  

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 4

I’m trying to make a point that running the same system who do you want? Cause I really think they don’t want to change. But if you could grab McCoy.... So McCoy or Dennison?

You’re saying Dennison. I’m saying McCoy, plus McCoy has 6 years experience as a QB coach. It’s not a “what OC do you want most”

And Dorsey over Culley all day. 

Under Dennison Buffalo finished what 32nd YPG, 27th Points PG, 32nd Passing yards PG...

Yards per game it seemed like McCoy always fair well. Points avg better than 27th. 

2 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I’m trying to make a point that running the same system who do you want? Cause I really think they don’t want to change. But if you could grab McCoy.... So McCoy or Dennison?

You’re saying Dennison. I’m saying McCoy, plus McCoy has 6 years experience as a QB coach. It’s not a “what OC do you want most”

And Dorsey over Culley all day. 

Given a choice between Dennison or McCoy, yes I'd choose Dennison.  Given a choice between a dead parrot and McCoy I am taking the dead parrot.  

I don't know what in McCoy's 6 years of experience gives you hope?  His averages including the year where he was a passenger for Peyton are 19th in points and 15th in yards.  If you take out the Peyton year his averages are 23rd in points and 18th in yards.  He is not very good.  

13 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

It’s not a “what OC do you want most”

That is really the best question.  Who do I want.

Whoever the Bills feel is the best choice if it's Dennison or someone else.  The one thing I do know is that what goes on at practice, locker room, classroom, etc.;the people seeing that know 1000 times more than any body on this board thinks they know.  Just as everyone here, said how bad they'd do, lucky to win 4 games and they go 9-7 and make the playoffs is more evidence of how little we know.

33 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

That is really the best question.  Who do I want.

Whoever the Bills feel is the best choice if it's Dennison or someone else.  The one thing I do know is that what goes on at practice, locker room, classroom, etc.;the people seeing that know 1000 times more than any body on this board thinks they know.  Just as everyone here, said how bad they'd do, lucky to win 4 games and they go 9-7 and make the playoffs is more evidence of how little we know.

McCoy was McD first choice before he chose Denver. I’m just saying there’s a good chance McCoy is the guy, especially got the reasons I mentioned.

As far as who I want? That’s tough because I’m not a fan of past Coordinators. Yeah so I’m not a fan of McCoy or Dennison. I just think McCoy is more competent.

I lean more towards up and comers... Dorsey is intriguing but it’s a HUGE gamble. I really haven’t thought of the exact person I’d want cause it’s not realistic. It could be someone who no one has even brought up etc when there is writing on the wall of what might actually happen.

I honestly think if McD doesn’t try to go back to McCoy he may stick with Dennison. Cause I feel that realistically what may happen vs fans throwing out ever Coordinator they can think of thinking there’s a chance.

Realistically as far as names thrown out there...

1. McCoy - McDs first choice prior to Dennison, offense basically goes unchanged. 50% Chance

2. Mike Shula - Pretty sound OC, Maybe Beane prefers him due to history. 30% Chance

3. Ken Dorsey - Big Gamble!!! Young. Maybe Creative? maybe they like what he has to bring as far as philosophy, as well as Brings QB knowledge to accomplish what he want to run. 15% Chance

4. Rob Chudzinski - McD has worked with him, don’t know how well Beane knows him. This is a shot in the dark. 5% Chance

Anyone outside those 4 would be shocking.

9 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

Go get a QB then suddenly all the coaching issues go away.

100% true.

But it sounds like Dennison may not be the guy they want for that new QB.

Dennison received zero vote of confidence when it came to questions about coaching changes.

Mike McCoy is a good OC and in high demand. Don’t let this season on the Broncos fool you. Even Denver media reported McCoy wasn’t the problem with the offense and it got even worse once he left.

they had a top offense the 4 years with chargers too

Edited by BillsMafioso

57 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

Go get a QB then suddenly all the coaching issues go away.

There's a core of truth here.

But what bugs me about Rico is that he made  our offense noticeably worse with same QB and comparable talent surrounding that QB.

A new OC is supposed to make things better, not worse.

4 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

What about Bevell?

Why do we have to recycle other teams' trash?  Why can't we think independently and try something different, such as give an assistant/position coach a shot?

I have not paid a lot of attention to Seattle this season, but they seemed to have fallen off offensively from previous seasons.  There is a reason why Bevell, as well as some of these other OCs, are gone.

4 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Why do we have to recycle other teams' trash?  Why can't we think independently and try something different, such as give an assistant/position coach a shot?

I have not paid a lot of attention to Seattle this season, but they seemed to have fallen off offensively from previous seasons.  There is a reason why Bevell, as well as some of these other OCs, are gone.

Some of the best coaching hires in history have been retreads. I wouldn't mind looking at a guy who has been to 2 Super Bowls and won 1 of them, helped develop one of if not the best young QBs in the game, and has done it all with not exactly top notch offensive talent on the lines or at the skill positions. And this year they were not great offensively, but Wilson also accounted for 82.1% of his offense's yards, which is an NFL record, as well as a 34:11 TD:INT ratio. Not pounding the table for him, but still think he should be on the list, maybe even the short list.

Also open to looking for the next young up-and-coming guy, but can you give me a few ideas as to who that might be? 

1 hour ago, Billzgobowlin said:

At this point why don't we throw Bevell into the conversation.  I would do so with Tom Cable but he wouldn't be a match with McDerm

Is Bevell tied to McD or Beane?

52 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I like the thought of first timer, new philosophies etc. But it’s a huge risk unless you know that person is 100% ready