All-22 of Bills-Jags from Cover1

I said this on game day that Dennison called a good game and their were plays that could've been made with a better QB. The Jags are a top defense and we would've won that game with better QB play. McD and Frazier with better talent on the D-line and LB position will create a top 5 defense here. 

Castillo needs to be fired, their is only one guy on the O-Line that has improved and that's Dawkins. Tice would be a HUGE upgrade over the below average Castillo.

3 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I said this on game day that Dennison called a good game and their were plays that could've been made with a better QB. The Jags are a top defense and we would've won that game with better QB play. McD and Frazier with better talent on the D-line and LB position will create a top 5 defense here. 

Sal Capaccio said the same thing after watching film.

Now he did say that he doesn't think Dennison is safe but believes he did a good job in the Jax game.

I agree with Coach Tuesday. Beane did this to this team and we had plenty of chances to upgrade during the season.

They knew what they had in Tyrod, they should have known that they needed someone other than a 5th round rookie at back up qb. They knew we were very slim at several positions and they did nothing except trade our best defensive run stopper for a 5 round draft pick!

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The receivers and tight ends are not great route runners.  I am not sure Deonte Thompson knows what a route is.  I think he just heads in a general direction after the snap.  But the scheme is designed to get guys open for the ball to come out at a certain time and there are windows, however small, in which plays can be made and the ball is not coming out on time.  Then when someone does run a good route and beat their man as O'Leary did down the seam towards the endzone Tyrod misses them.  A starting NFL Quarterback has to make that play.  

What was evident in this game is that even when TT completed a pass his ball placement was poor. There were two or three completions where if the placement was better the receiver  would have gained a first down and kept the drive going. The qb futility for both teams in this game was both laughable and gut wrenching. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What was evident in this game is that even when TT completed a pass his ball placement was poor. There were two or three completions where if the placement was better the receiver  would have gained a first down and kept the drive going. The qb futility for both teams in this game was both laughable and gut wrenching. 

which is why so many of us are ticked off 

Even Shady if you saw the video clip 

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

which is why so many of us are ticked off 

Even Shady if you saw the video clip 

An Orton caliber of qb would have been a difference maker in this game. What is exasperating is that this franchise that has had so much misfortune was in a good situation to win a playoff game. With merely mediocre qb play this opportunity was ready to be seized. Instead, we got atrocious play. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Great stuff.

Mills was garbage in this game and shouldn’t be a starter in the NFL.

Benjamin is either very injured or incredibly disinterested.

These receivers and tight ends get zero separation and it was negligent of Beane to let the roster look like this.

Just a couple of tidbits of info to add to what you said:

Regarding Benjamin, in the end of season press conference, both McDermott and Beane admitted that since Benjamin was injured in the Chargers game, he has never been back to 100%. They praised him for toughing it out to be out there. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do when fully healthy and with a full offseason with our program.

Regarding the separation of our receivers, I saw a chart yesterday on Twitter from (I believe) Matt Harmon, who writes for NFL.com and other outlets. The chart contained "next gen stats" and indicated average yards of separation of WRs at the time of QB release for all 32 teams. The Buffalo Bills were dead last in this metric. One interesting note was that the Chiefs were #1.

46 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It would be different if they planned on keeping Tyrod long term. They never did.

What good is it to install a system based on Tyrod's skill set that they'll have to completely switch up next year? That's doing the rest of the offense, especially the rookies, a huge disservice.

Dennison made compromises for Tyrod as much as possible, as evidenced by the various films studies we've seen.  But the development of Zay, Dawkins, and the rest of the offense is much more important than a journeyman QB who will be gone next year.

Now everyone's up to speed and can bring the newly-drafted QB up to speed even faster.

Okay.   But what good is it to install a system when the personnel are going to be different next year?   Different QB.   Different receivers.    Exactly who is the system supposed to benefit for next year?   Zay (stone hands) Jones?   Whatever system Dennison ran is going to be new to whoever comes in here next year anyway.

Kelvin Benjamin wasn't here till late in the season.  Can't say it was for his benefit that they ran some system they intend to run next year.

Dennison should have schemed to maximize the physical talent of his starting QB and starting half back.   He did neither.   Tyrod has tremendous physical skills not tremendous cerebral skills.    Everyone but Dennison knows that apparently.

7 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

Good read thanks for sharing. Shows Denn called a good game and the execution was a fail. Also shows Tyrod didn't do enough homework on noticing the Jags hand signals because if he did he would have known what they were calling. Tyrod has bad throws and reads but also shows he doesn't study.

Tyrod is just not good enough, I hope this is his last season. It was a playoff game a team needs to add wrinkles to the game plan to get the win, too bad the QB can only run a short bus scheme.

How is it that you single out Tyrod for this.      Dennison is old enough to be Tyrod's father.   And he is the coach.    What about the QB coach?   What about the head coach?   Why aren't you sharing the blame where it belongs?

Tyrod could have noticed it sure.   But friggin nobody did.   And those other guys have WAY more experience than Tyrod breaking down defenses.    You are blaming Tyrod just because you are a hater.   You aren't being objective about it at all.   Realistically it is a complete COACHING fail.    

If the coaches come out and say they did notice it and did integrate that into the game plan and Tyrod just ignored it, well then okay - Tyrod's fault.   I didn't hear anyone say that.  Did you?

I hate defending Tyrod now because I think he flat out sucked in that game.   You bastards make it impossible to ignore though because of your incessant blame on him for anything and everything that isn't Tom Brady perfect.   WTF man?  WTF?

1 hour ago, PIZ said:

This guy is very intelligent and knows a ton about the Bills personnel.

He is indeed.  Forgotten more football than I'll ever know.  I disagree on specific plays occasionally and always 2nd or 3rd guess myself.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Love this thread....thank you

You are welcome.  I'm looking to make a positive change against the Troll Infestations

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

It would be different if they planned on keeping Tyrod long term. They never did.

What good is it to install a system based on Tyrod's skill set that they'll have to completely switch up next year? That's doing the rest of the offense, especially the rookies, a huge disservice.

Dennison made compromises for Tyrod as much as possible, as evidenced by the various films studies we've seen.  But the development of Zay, Dawkins, and the rest of the offense is much more important than a journeyman QB who will be gone next year.

Now everyone's up to speed and can bring the newly-drafted QB up to speed even faster.

LeGOAT, I think you aren't making an important distinction between installing a system and drawing up a gameplan/calling a game.  Installing a system means the type of offense (WCO, E-P) and within those broad categories, the terminology, the route trees, etc.  This is the stuff that takes continuity and several seasons to grasp, and you don't want to choose it or limit it just on the skills of one player.   You need to start teaching your system from Day 1.

Now, out of your three thick-ass binders, you pull plays and install a game plan for each game, trying to win matchups and put your guys in a position to win.  This is where, frankly, it's critical to make compromises for the players you'll have available each week!  Is McCoy out injured?  Don't call the same plays that you would for Mccoy, using Tolbert and Murphy.  This is where you look at your OL and say "OK, this concept would work vs this team, but can the guys I've got execute against their opponent?"  "This would work vs this coverage, but can Taylor make the correct read and the correct progressions?" "this would work, but can Ducasse sell it?"  And you throw plays out and put in other plays where maybe it's not as clever, but your guys do it well and you polish.  Then you adjust some more for the 2nd half based on how the first half went.

Especially when you've got young players or limited players, it's important not to get too clever and install too thick of a game plan, or plays that require more physical skill or more judgement than you've got.  (That is why Vance Joseph is said to have fired  Mike McCoy - because he was designing brilliant game plans without enough thought to the capabilities and limitations of his players).  And Dennison did make changes gradually during the season and during games - but IMHO too little, and too late.

And this is where I part ways a bit with Cover1's slant on the game giving Dennison a pass and putting more on Taylor and our players.  He points out that Dennison designed a plan that, often enough, put the Bills players in a position to succeed, and they too often failed to execute, and of course since Taylor is the guy on every play, he takes the lion's share.   I see it as Dennison failing to take his players and their skills into sufficient account.  Why call a trap if you know your OL is struggling with the protections they call and run every week?  KISS!  Why call a brilliant run play Tolbert can't execute, he's not fast enough?

It smacks of an OC who spends too much time with computers and paper, and not enough in the trenches learning his players and teaching.  The Jags defensive signals Palms and Cover 3 - isn't it also on the coaches to make sure they pick up on that from film and to coach Taylor to look for it and react accordingly?  The whole thing with Peterman is consistent with that - I hear Peterman is great in the film room and has a fantastic memory for plays and progressions, can learn them and spit them back flawlessly and that's why Dennison had him some Peterman love.  But in practice,  his ability to recognize what he's seeing in real-time and execute wasn't there yet and a lot of folks in the building knew that.

Just exactly what do you think Zay Jones and Dawkins are learning from a busted play, based on coverages Taylor can't read and progressions he can't make?  Do we need a QB who can make them?  Sure!  But this week, craft a game plan for the strengths of the guys you've got.  It's frankly scary to think of Dennison crafting game plans and calling plays for a brand-new rookie, even if his rookie never misses a single throw.

57 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Sal Capaccio said the same thing after watching film.

Now he did say that he doesn't think Dennison is safe but believes he did a good job in the Jax game.

See above - in the abstract, I'm persuaded he did a good job.  I'm not persuaded he did a good job in reality.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PolishDave said:

How is it that you single out Tyrod for this.      Dennison is old enough to be Tyrod's father.   And he is the coach.    What about the QB coach?   What about the head coach?   Why aren't you sharing the blame where it belongs?

Tyrod could have noticed it sure.   But friggin nobody did.   And those other guys have WAY more experience than Tyrod breaking down defenses.    You are blaming Tyrod just because you are a hater.   You aren't being objective about it at all.   Realistically it is a complete COACHING fail.    

If the coaches come out and say they did notice it and did integrate that into the game plan and Tyrod just ignored it, well then okay - Tyrod's fault.   I didn't hear anyone say that.  Did you?

I hate defending Tyrod now because I think he flat out sucked in that game.   You bastards make it impossible to ignore though because of your incessant blame on him for anything and everything that isn't Tom Brady perfect.   WTF man?  WTF?

Dave did you go to the link? You say how do I single Tyrod out, see below.

From the link.

Quote:

Taylor was fooled by the Jaguars on several occasions. This caused him to lock on to specific targets rather than letting the coverage dictate where the ball goes. 

Quote:

Not only did Taylor struggle processing coverages, but when plays were open he or his teammates missed opportunities. 

Quote:

Another first down play action call that is there, but Taylor fails to take what the defense gives him.

Quote:

They gave Taylor the keys to the offense, allowed him to read the defense and make the decisions to run or pass, often referred to as run/pass options.

Quote:

Taylor also missed a very nice window on this dig route to WR Kelvin Benjamin.

Quote:

On this play, Jones gets some separation, but the ball isn’t thrown accurately enough for Jones to catch it. Instead, he has to wait on the ball and it allows the defender to make a play. Was the defender there early? Sure, but a better pass and that doesn’t even occur.

My comment:

This one shows his film study IMO considering it is what Jags and I Quote:(The signals have been the same the entire season.)

. A QB is suppose to study what a D has a been doing in other games, Sure maybe the OC should have seen it but does this QB notice anything to help his OC and offense?. Good film study makes a good QB:

Quote:

.On the final drive and possibly Taylor’s last play as a Buffalo Bill, he again misses a pass to the flat versus the very same ‘Palms’ coverage the Jags played earlier in the game on the interception. I find it very difficult to stomach how the offense isn’t seeing the hand signals by the Jags. When the defenders show their palms to the sky it signaled ‘Palms’ coverage (the following play), and when they point to the sky it was Cover 3. The signals have been the same the entire season.

Quote:

Taylor’s tendency to hold on to the ball and not pull the trigger left some easy yardage on the field.

Quote:

Taylor’s decisions and shortcomings were all evident in the biggest game for the Bills in the last 17 years.

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

LeGOAT, I think you aren't making an important distinction between installing a system and drawing up a gameplan/calling a game.  Installing a system means the type of offense (WCO, E-P) and within those broad categories, the terminology, the route trees, etc.  This is the stuff that takes continuity and several seasons to grasp, and you don't want to choose it or limit it just on the skills of one player.   You need to start teaching your system from Day 1.

Now, out of your three thick-ass binders, you pull plays and install a game plan for each game, trying to win matchups and put your guys in a position to win.  This is where, frankly, it's critical to make compromises for the players you'll have available each week!  Is McCoy out injured?  Don't call the same plays that you would for Mccoy, using Tolbert and Murphy.  This is where you look at your OL and say "OK, this concept would work vs this team, but can the guys I've got execute against their opponent?"  "This would work vs this coverage, but can Taylor make the correct read and the correct progressions?" "this would work, but can Ducasse sell it?"  And you throw plays out and put in other plays where maybe it's not as clever, but your guys do it well and you polish.  Then you adjust some more for the 2nd half based on how the first half went.

Especially when you've got young players or limited players, it's important not to get too clever and install too thick of a game plan, or plays that require more physical skill or more judgement than you've got.  (That is why Vance Joseph is said to have fired  Mike McCoy - because he was designing brilliant game plans without enough thought to the capabilities and limitations of his players).  And Dennison did make changes gradually during the season and during games - but IMHO too little, and too late.

And this is where I part ways a bit with Cover1's slant on the game giving Dennison a pass and putting more on Taylor and our players.  He points out that Dennison designed a plan that, often enough, put the Bills players in a position to succeed, and they too often failed to execute, and of course since Taylor is the guy on every play, he takes the lion's share.   I see it as Dennison failing to take his players and their skills into sufficient account.  Why call a trap if you know your OL is struggling with the protections they call and run every week?  KISS!  Why call a brilliant run play Tolbert can't execute, he's not fast enough?

It smacks of an OC who spends too much time with computers and paper, and not enough in the trenches learning his players and teaching.  The Jags defensive signals Palms and Cover 3 - isn't it also on the coaches to make sure they pick up on that from film and to coach Taylor to look for it and react accordingly?  The whole thing with Peterman is consistent with that - I hear Peterman is great in the film room and has a fantastic memory for plays and progressions, can learn them and spit them back flawlessly and that's why Dennison had him some Peterman love.  But in practice,  his ability to recognize what he's seeing in real-time and execute wasn't there yet and a lot of folks in the building knew that.

Just exactly what do you think Zay Jones and Dawkins are learning from a busted play, based on coverages Taylor can't read and progressions he can't make?  Do we need a QB who can make them?  Sure!  But this week, craft a game plan for the strengths of the guys you've got.  It's frankly scary to think of Dennison crafting game plans and calling plays for a brand-new rookie, even if his rookie never misses a single throw.

Excellent well thought out and well explained post!

Coaching is more than just desigigning a scheme that can work.   You have to teach your guys to execute it too.   That is like at least half of the coaches' duties.   If the players can't execute what you are telling them to do, well then you aren't doing your job well enough.  You either aren't teaching them or you are asking them to do too much.

People like to just blame the players for lack of execution.  That is only fair if you think all players are superstars and should be able to execute anything thrown at them.    There probably aren't more than 3 or 4 players on each team that can execute anything thrown at them.   The truth is - different guys have different things they are good and bad at. 

It is up to the coach to devise a system they can execute and teach them to execute it exceptionally well.

This again lends more weight to the idea of simplifying everything until you can execute all the basic stuff really well.   Then build on that and complicate things more as you go on.   

But most coaches (in my guestimation) start right out with complicated stuff and keep trying to run it even when their team has proven they can't execute it.  And say the players just aren't good enough.   Maybe they aren't.   But if they aren't, it is at least partially the coaches' fault.

Does anyone think that this BIlls' offense is executing these plays with a high degree of success in practice?   I don't.   At least not against live fire action.    Maybe in walk throughs.     Because how could you possibly suck that bad in the game if you are executing them well in practice?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PolishDave said:

Okay.   But what good is it to install a system when the personnel are going to be different next year?   Different QB.   Different receivers.    Exactly who is the system supposed to benefit for next year?   Zay (stone hands) Jones?   Whatever system Dennison ran is going to be new to whoever comes in here next year anyway.

Kelvin Benjamin wasn't here till late in the season.  Can't say it was for his benefit that they ran some system they intend to run next year.

Dennison should have schemed to maximize the physical talent of his starting QB and starting half back.   He did neither.   Tyrod has tremendous physical skills not tremendous cerebral skills.    Everyone but Dennison knows that apparently.

To me this is not completely accurate.  Tyrod has played in this offense before.  Dennison was his QB coach in Baltimore.  This is what is so infuriating about it.  The Dennison hire was actually good on the surface because this was a guy your QB that you brought back had already worked with.  Why TT struggled in an offense he was supposed to already familiar be with I do not know.  But it is what it is at this point.

Edited by NewEraBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, xRUSHx said:

Dave did you go to the link?

From the link.

Quote:

Taylor was fooled by the Jaguars on several occasions. This caused him to lock on to specific targets rather than letting the coverage dictate where the ball goes. 

Quote:

Not only did Taylor struggle processing coverages, but when plays were open he or his teammates missed opportunities. 

Quote:

Another first down play action call that is there, but Taylor fails to take what the defense gives him.

Quote:

They gave Taylor the keys to the offense, allowed him to read the defense and make the decisions to run or pass, often referred to as run/pass options.

Quote:

Taylor also missed a very nice window on this dig route to WR Kelvin Benjamin.

Quote:

On this play, Jones gets some separation, but the ball isn’t thrown accurately enough for Jones to catch it. Instead, he has to wait on the ball and it allows the defender to make a play. Was the defender there early? Sure, but a better pass and that doesn’t even occur.

My comment:

This one shows his film study IMO considering it is what Jags and I Quote:(The signals have been the same the entire season.)

. A QB is suppose to study what a D has a been doing in other games, Sure maybe the OC should have seen it but does this QB notice anything to help his OC and offense?. Good film study makes a good QB:

Quote:

.On the final drive and possibly Taylor’s last play as a Buffalo Bill, he again misses a pass to the flat versus the very same ‘Palms’ coverage the Jags played earlier in the game on the interception. I find it very difficult to stomach how the offense isn’t seeing the hand signals by the Jags. When the defenders show their palms to the sky it signaled ‘Palms’ coverage (the following play), and when they point to the sky it was Cover 3. The signals have been the same the entire season.

Quote:

Taylor’s tendency to hold on to the ball and not pull the trigger left some easy yardage on the field.

Quote:

Taylor’s decisions and shortcomings were all evident in the biggest game for the Bills in the last 17 years.

I did not talk about any of that.  Tyrod sucked in the game.  I said that he did.

I specifically bolded the part where you blame him for not exploiting the hand signals that Jacksonville defenders used.

That isn't on him unless you know that the coaches made an emphasis on that and integrated it into their game plan.   You literally blame him for every single friggin thing.   The team around him isn't great either and neither are his coaches.    Let's be reasonable.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

I did not talk about any of that.  Tyrod sucked in the game.  I said that he did.

I specifically bolded the part where you blame him for not exploiting the hand signals that Jacksonville defenders used.

That isn't on him unless you know that the coaches made an emphasis on that and integrated it into their game plan.   You literally blame him for every single friggin thing.   The team around him isn't great either and neither are his coaches.    Let's be reasonable.

Yes please let's be reasonable.

Hey man I took quotes from the article. I blame him because basic stuff for a good QB is to study what the D is doing and if our OC missed it the QB should have seen it if he did his homework IMO. 

One more Quote from aritcle:

As a fan and analyst of the team, watching this film was very disappointing. As McCoy stated, this was a winnable game. It was a game in which the offense had enough in the playbook to win. In fact, they had a lot of the concepts and personnel to do some damage. In my opinion, there were just too many plays left on the field to put the blame on the game plan. Taylor’s tendency to hold on to the ball and not pull the trigger left some easy yardage on the field.

My comment.

So I am sorry you did not like my comment man but to answer your bold this quote really gets me.

Quote:

I find it very difficult to stomach how the offense isn’t seeing the hand signals by the Jags.

Edited by xRUSHx

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Nice post.

Players learn just as much from a busted play as they do a successful one, maybe even more. This off-season Peterman and the rookie QB can study game film of this offense in real NFL games and learn exactly what to do/not to do, while observing tendencies of players who are actually on their team. 2017 was an installation year and the experience is going to make the 2018 learning curve that much smaller.

Agree to disagree about the game plan. Calling only the plays that your QB is comfortable with eventually gets super predictable. They may have been even worse off with that kind of approach. Maybe Tyrod didn't even want that, anyway. Maybe he's pushing himself to take the next step. Who knows.

Dennison designed a game plan that could beat the Jags' #1 defense. They prepared that game plan all week. The players aren't surprised by the calls. They know what they have to do and the responsibility is on them to get it done. Seeing successful play designs gives me hope that they could put up a lot of points on any defense with the right QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Yes please let's be reasonable.

Hey man I took quotes from the article. I blame him because basic stuff for a good QB is to study what the D is doing and if our OC missed it the QB should have seen it if he did his homework IMO. 

One more Quote from aritcle:

As a fan and analyst of the team, watching this film was very disappointing. As McCoy stated, this was a winnable game. It was a game in which the offense had enough in the playbook to win. In fact, they had a lot of the concepts and personnel to do some damage. In my opinion, there were just too many plays left on the field to put the blame on the game plan. Taylor’s tendency to hold on to the ball and not pull the trigger left some easy yardage on the field. 

I don't get this place sometimes.   Sometimes it is just impossible to have a clear (on-point) conversation.

When I specifically BOLD things in a response to people I assume that they know THAT is what I am responding to.   And not all the other stuff they wrote.  Wrong assumption on my part I guess.

This has happened with other posters too.    I bold something in their response thinking they will know that is SPECIFICALLY what I am talking about - and then they respond back to me with something I was not even talking about.  It feels like talking to a wall.

I usually go back and correct my grammar when it is horribly wrong.  I fix my typos a lot of the time for the sake of clarity.  I try to use bold letters, capitals, quotations and brackets for added clarity when I write.

Even after doing all of that, I guess my communication skills still truly just suck.   - Like as bad as Tyrod sucked in that playoff game.   I thought I was better than this.   Sorry to waste your time.   (And sorry to waste mine.)

• Haha (+1) 1

Hapless Bill I get what you are saying but I'd take a slightly different take.  You ask why call a trap?  You call a trap because when you looked on film you noticed that it was one of the running plays that the Jags struggled with tremendously.  They don't struggle with much in this department, but they do struggle with the trap.  So your run game coordinator looks at that and says he Rick, here is what I seen them struggle with.  Your run game coordinator trusts that his guys can run that play.  That's why the play is called.  It's not just Dennison at play here.

1 minute ago, PolishDave said:

I don't get this place sometimes.   Sometimes it is just impossible to have a clear (on-point) conversation.

When I specifically BOLD things in a response to people I assume that they know THAT is what I am responding to.   And not all the other stuff they wrote.  Wrong assumption on my part I guess.

This has happened with other posters too.    I bold something in their response thinking they will know that is SPECIFICALLY what I am talking about - and then they respond back to me with something I was not even talking about.  It feels like talking to a wall.

I usually go back and correct my grammar when it is horribly wrong.  I fix my typos a lot of the time for the sake of clarity.  I try to use bold letters, capitals, quotations and brackets for added clarity when I write.

Even after doing all of that, I guess my communication skills still truly just suck.   - Like as bad as Tyrod sucked in that playoff game.   I thought I was better than this.   Sorry to waste your time.   (And sorry to waste mine.)

Well I am sorry too man, I thought we were having a conversation and I pulled the quotes from the article so you could see what i was seeing.

I thought I answered your bold as to why I thought IMO that blame should be on Tyrod for not doing enough film study to notice a tendency the Jags do. Never assume because hey it makes a ___ out of you and me is the assume saying. Have a good day man sorry I got you so mad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1