All-22 of Bills-Jags from Cover1

Haven't seen this linked here, excuse if I missed it.

Analysis of Bills-Jaguars by Cover1's Nate Turner

http://www.cover1.net/execution-comes-up-short-against-a-talented-jaguars-defense/

The bottom line doesn't change: Any time your defense holds the opponent to 10 points, you should win the game.  But some good stuff there I haven't seen elsewhere, such as the Jags using some obvious and snipeable defensive signals (Cover-3 and Palms) coverage that we missed.

He gives Dennison props for having enough in the game plan to win and puts a lot on the players for not executing.  On the one hand, sure - Taylor especially, the drops, the penalty calling back Shady's run.  On the other hand, if someone has been lacking at something all season, why ask them to do it in a playoff game?  If blocking assignments have been an issue for your OL all season and you haven't been calling traps, do you really want to dust off a trap just so's you can watch them mess it up?  Dance with what brung ya I say.   

Again, bottom line, our D came through, we had good enough talent and offensive game plan to win, we were just a handful of successful plays short.  Nate puts it mostly on Taylor, and maybe it belongs there.  OTOH, Nate is a clever analyst, and clever analysts appreciate clever play concepts by clever offensive coordinators - which is great provided the team has the right pieces to pull it off.  Sometimes it's better to KISS and stick to the things your men can execute really well.  Maybe that wouldn't have worked either.

Good read, have a look.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Definitely on Taylor.

I know it's a playoff game, but this staff expects to be in the playoffs every year. The missteps by the players provide valuable learning opportunities. This is the system they're running. Do it right or you'll be embarrassed in the wild card round. They're not going to change it up for you.

Good read thanks for sharing. Shows Denn called a good game and the execution was a fail. IMO Also shows Tyrod didn't do enough homework on noticing the Jags hand signals because if he did he would have known what they were calling with those signals. Tyrod has bad throws and reads but also shows he doesn't study.

IMO Tyrod is just not good enough, I hope this is his last season. It was a playoff game a team needs to add wrinkles to the game plan to get the win, too bad the QB can only run a short bus scheme.

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

So hard to be a receiver on this team. You beat your man over and over and never get a ball thrown to you.

It's been a fun couple of years with Taylor and I wish him the best, but I sure hope we upgrade the position this off season.

• Like (+1) 2

The majority of the blame is undoubtedly on Tyrod after seeing that.

However, we are not in the meetings when the coaches are coaching players.

Are the coaches teaching Tyrod the defenses correctly? Are they helping him find the nuances?

I like to think they are. I like to think they are very prepared. Hence the open receivers. 

In the end, Tyrod is a warrior, and exciting to watch and cheer for. He's made some awesome plays. However, I think it's time we move on. Thanks for the good times. 

8 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Depressing to read and relive it, this was such a pathetically winnable game.

Indeed it was! To lose to a QB like Blake Bortles was the worst.

I believe the Bills can build a championship defense in time. It's the offense that troubles me with the likes of Dennison/ Castillo running things. 

Good stuff HBF thanks for posting!

Edited by Nihilarian

3 hours ago, MJS said:

So hard to be a receiver on this team. You beat your man over and over and never get a ball thrown to you.

It's been a fun couple of years with Taylor and I wish him the best, but I sure hope we upgrade the position this off season.

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Great stuff.

Mills was garbage in this game and shouldn’t be a starter in the NFL.

Benjamin is either very injured or incredibly disinterested.

These receivers and tight ends get zero separation and it was negligent of Beane to let the roster look like this.

So which is it?

17 minutes ago, eball said:

So which is it?

The receivers and tight ends are not great route runners.  I am not sure Deonte Thompson knows what a route is.  I think he just heads in a general direction after the snap.  But the scheme is designed to get guys open for the ball to come out at a certain time and there are windows, however small, in which plays can be made and the ball is not coming out on time.  Then when someone does run a good route and beat their man as O'Leary did down the seam towards the endzone Tyrod misses them.  A starting NFL Quarterback has to make that play.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The receivers and tight ends are not great route runners.  I am not sure Deonte Thompson knows what a route is.  I think he just heads in a general direction after the snap.  But the scheme is designed to get guys open for the ball to come out at a certain time and there are windows, however small, in which plays can be made and the ball is not coming out on time.  Then when someone does run a good route and beat their man as O'Leary did down the seam towards the endzone Tyrod misses them.  A starting NFL Quarterback has to make that play.  

And this is why I don't believe TT is in the plans for the future.     

Q: Brandon, along those lines though, well, it’s about quarterback and are you satisfied with how this offense produced with Tyrod Taylor running the show?

BB: We’re not satisfied with the whole offense, and it wasn’t just about Tyrod. There’s a lot of hands in the cookie jar, so to speak, and Sean and I – we’re going to talk about everything and we know we have to get better on offense, on defense, [and] on special teams. We are far from a finished product. I don’t know if you’re ever going to hear us say we’re a finished product but we have a lot of work to do and we know that and that’s going to get started pretty quickly after this press conference.

Q: Sean, when you went to Nathan Peterman in the Chargers game, did we as media and fans jump the gun thinking that you had concluded that Tyrod was not going to be here [next year]? The circumstances have changed, but did we jump the gun there, thinking that you had already made your mind up on Tyrod?

Sean McDermott: Well, I guess that’s your decision. That’s your call. I know why we did what we did. Brandon and I sat down that week and discussed what was in the best interests of this football team, like we do with every decision we make. That was, we felt, the right decision at that time for this football team.

Q: As you go through evaluations and should you determine that maybe you need an upgrade on quarterback, do you feel you have enough arsenal in your arsenal [with] draft picks to make whatever moves you need to come April?

BB: Yeah, I mean, the good thing is we have a lot of draft capital and we can stay there and pick, we can move up, we can move back, we can do a lot of different things. It’s so early in the process. I mean, we’ve seen these college guys on the field, but we’ve yet to meet any of them and to know who they are. You rank these guys [from] what you see on the film, but until you know them and know how they know the game and all of that, talking about the quarterback position, there’s so many layers of what it takes to play quarterback in this league – and we’ve talked about them – that we’re still a long way to go. It’s too early for me to answer what we would do, whether we’d do it or not, but yes, we will go where we need to go to get the right players.

http://www.espnrochester.com/articles/wgr-am-article/full-transcript-brandon-beane-and-sean-mcdermott-year-end-press-conference

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Interesting about that play in particular - looking at it again in those clips, Ty seemed to think O'Leary was going to run a wider route down the seam, but O'Leary ran more of a post and that's why the throw was so far off.  I assume the error is Tyrod's because your best chance of success is to lead O'Leary back toward the middle of the field, but it's far from certain whose fault that was.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Interesting about that play in particular - looking at it again in those clips, Ty seemed to think O'Leary was going to run a wider route down the seam, but O'Leary ran more of a post and that's why the throw was so far off.  I assume the error is Tyrod's because your best chance of success is to lead O'Leary back toward the middle of the field, but it's far from certain whose fault that was.

The WCO has more prescribed routes than the E-P concepts NE runs and Gailey used to run, but even so, I believe there are route adjustments based on coverage and that sometimes when a throw looks quite off target,  it's because the QB and the WR saw it differently.

Obviously that's not the whole story - there are frustrating times when Taylor simply doesn't pull the trigger at all - but it has seemed to me that this year more than last, Taylor and his WR are on different pages.  I had thought it was likely on the WR (since they're a constantly changing cast and many did not have much time in this offense) than TT, since he has a reputation as a big film guy.  Cover1 spells out places where Taylor misreads the coverage (I need to read up on Palms coverage) so I'm wondering if more of that is on him than I thought.

Very frustrating game to watch, and frustrating to read about.

6 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Definitely on Taylor.

I know it's a playoff game, but this staff expects to be in the playoffs every year. The missteps by the players provide valuable learning opportunities. This is the system they're running. Do it right or you'll be embarrassed in the wild card round. They're not going to change it up for you.

People keep saying this but it's really such BS (the "this is the system...not going to change it".  It may be mostly on Taylor I don't know).  We hated it when Gailey called a clever offense suited for Aaron Rodgers while he had Ryan Fitzpatrick back under center.  All successful OCs adjust their concepts and playcalls to fit the skills of the guys they have.  All of them.  If Dennison thinks he shouldn't have to, he's can expect anything he likes but he's not going to get to the playoffs too much.

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Great stuff.

Mills was garbage in this game and shouldn’t be a starter in the NFL.

Benjamin is either very injured or incredibly disinterested.

These receivers and tight ends get zero separation and it was negligent of Beane to let the roster look like this.

From what he said Ducasse doesn't win any prizes either.

Why do you say this?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

O'leary wasn't just missed, it looked like he was throwing the ball to the third row. That play and the 1st and goal on the 1/2 yard line sealed our fate.

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

People keep saying this but it's really such BS (the "this is the system...not going to change it".  It may be mostly on Taylor I don't know).  We hated it when Gailey called a clever offense suited for Aaron Rodgers while he had Ryan Fitzpatrick back under center.  All successful OCs adjust their concepts and playcalls to fit the skills of the guys they have.  All of them.  If Dennison thinks he shouldn't have to, he's can expect anything he likes but he's not going to get to the playoffs too much.

It would be different if they planned on keeping Tyrod long term. They never did.

What good is it to install a system based on Tyrod's skill set that they'll have to completely switch up next year? That's doing the rest of the offense, especially the rookies, a huge disservice.

Dennison made compromises for Tyrod as much as possible, as evidenced by the various films studies we've seen.  But the development of Zay, Dawkins, and the rest of the offense is much more important than a journeyman QB who will be gone next year.

Now everyone's up to speed and can bring the newly-drafted QB up to speed even faster.

Edited by LeGOATski
*Zay

The Jags have a really good defense and are even better at home.

Thought Dennison had a really good gameplan in the 1st half and didn't make enough adjustments to it in the 2nd half.

The reality is that the Bills needed to be able to run the ball better and just didn't get it done.  Tyrod missed some throws down the field and some receivers didn't make plays but the gameplan probably was predicated on the Bills having success running as the game went on and mixing in some play action.

Against Cover 1, have to think the Bills best chance was running or using the TEs or slot against Jags safeties/3rd CB.

The most frustrating part from a playcalling/decision making stand point for me was when they ran the same play and had the same result on each of the 1st plays of the last two drives in the 4th quarter.  The Jags knew what was coming and sat on it.  Even if McCoy makes the catch, he would get crushed.  Have to go to the next progression.