How should the Bills address the QB situation, defend your position

Batman1876

On 1/12/2018 at 7:29 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

I think we have to look at our coach and GM. There are a lot of possibilities out there, but if their tendencies are any indication, I think we can rule some things out. 

1. I don't think there is any way we sign Kirk Cousins. Cutting half the team to sign a soon to be 30 year old quarterback 30 million a year is the opposite of "responsible spending." I don't think hitching their careers on Cousins is going to be seen as a wise move for Beane and McDermott. They have the support of the Pegulas so they have an opportunity to bring in a bridge and draft a young guy. The idea is to have long term stability at the QB spot. Bringing in a guy who is already 30, and really not special doesn't seem to fit that bill. We can easily be outbid by the Browns and the Jets. Both Todd Bowles and Hue Jackson have a short time to turn this thing around to save their careers. I think they go the veteran route. 

2. I can't see this regime drafting Baker Mayfield. He's a playmaker sure, but he just doesn't check many of the "process" boxes for McDermott and Beane. He does have the leadership qualities they talk about, but Beane has consistently emphasized having a guy who can win from inside the pocket. I don't think they are hitching their careers on what he calls a "sandlot" quarterback. I personally think he is going to get physically destroyed at the NFL level. I like Mayfield, I just don't think there is any way they are going to draft him. He is very similar to Tyrod in a lot of ways with size and escapability, though he is less athletic than Tyrod. Mayfield is definitely a better thrower of the football, but he just won't check enough boxes in the process.  That's not even including the arrests and crotch grabbing stuff (which is putting yourself before the team). 

I'm a bit weary on Josh Rosen, but I think he is everything they look for in a quarterback. I think it really depends on how their meetings with Rosen go. You have to get in the room and get to know the kid. Reports about his teammates hating him seem to be false. That said, I feel like their true target is going to be the squeaky clean Darnold. Beane mentioned draft capital, and last year they moved around the board to get the guys they wanted. Trading up for Zay Jones and Dion Dawkins shows that they are willing to be aggressive in their pursuit of their targeted players. I think they make the Browns or Giants an offer they can't refuse. The idea that Beane thinks about draft picks as capital makes me feel feel pretty good about the fact that they are willing to jump all the way up the board.  It has worked for Philly and LA in recent years. We can't settle for the "JP Losman" 4th quarterback off the board. Its Rosen, Darnold, or nothing at all in my opinion. 

There's a couple points. 

I don't disagree that we can be outbid by the Browns or Jets for Cousins and that might drive up his price beyond what we see as value.  However, even if we pay him in the Stafford range, we don't need to cut anyone.  We have $38M in cap, plus $18M dead cap that comes off the books this year.  This year's salary is a big signing bonus amortized over 5 years plus a moderate salary.  So if they think Cousins is The Man they should go for it.

I'm not opposed to drafting a QB high, but please keep in mind that the draft capitol needed to move up from 6 to 2 for Griffin was 2 additional 1st round picks and a 2nd.

To move up from 8 to 2 cost the Eagles an additional 1st and 2nd in future years, plus 3rd and 4th round this year.  One of those trades worked, one of those trades did not.

The Bills are at 21 and presumably need to mortgage even more.  Do you really think they'll view that much "draft capitol" on a rookie QB to be "responsible spending"?

I'm not opposed to either one.  I think Cousins is better than you think.  I have no opinion on college QB, other than when I google one I prefer not to see an article about his arrest as the top hit and an article comparing him to Russ Wilson as the second, which is what I got for Mayfield.  For those who don't know or remember, Russ Wilson had very Taylor-like passing stats his first 3 years in the league.  Average of 195, 210, 217 ypg.  He was a better passer then, and he's a far better QB now, but I think the difference in the NFL will be more incremental than most fans want to stomach.

23 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Does this not make your stomach turn a little bit looking at this?

A guy from my high school died from this injury while skiing.  Apparently the body can go into such deep shock that it can't recover.

Kneedislocation.jpg

That's scary indeed.  I do think Bridgewater has to be seen as a big medical risk.  Just like Bradford.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

McDermott will not want to take a step back so it's playoffs or bust for him.  These guys also cherish their draft picks so can't see them spending too much to move up to get a top 5 pick.  So...

I wouldnt be shocked if we pay tyrod his roster bonus and then trade him.   I mean Denver would be willing to part with some picks to get him.  Elway was high on him before. 

Then We will trade to get Smith or Bradford.    Will take a second this yesr and something next year...maybe the pick we got for ragland in 2019.  These guys would almost surely be able to get us to the playoffs which is where McDermott will want to be.  

Then we draft Mayfield or best available at 21.  We need this pick and Peterman to battle to see who is back up and eventual starter.  

Then we us the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks to fill holes and you got a team that should make the playoffs while developing the future franchise qb.

I think Cleveland signs cousins to the first fully guaranteed contract 5 years 115 to 120 all guaranteed half up front.  They have over 100 mil in cap space.  They trade out of 1 for a ransom and they hope Barkley is there at 4.  With later picks in the first rd they take a qb maybe mayfield  to develop behind cousins and add some weapons outside.  Depending on what Cleveland does in FA and Beane's relationship with Gettleman, I think Buffalo has a chance at either 1 or 2.  As long as neither Beane or Mcdermott are put off by Rosen they will move mountains for a chance at either.

The more I see and read about him, the more I would love it if the Bills drafted Lamar Jackson. 

His size, his arm strength, his running ability, we all know about...but he’s also improved his accuracy three straight years. His 3rd down conversion % is fantastic, and they guy is a leader. 

Lamar Jackson is going to be the next Wentz, the next DeShaun Watson in this league. 

And  do I hope it’s for the Bills.

32 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

I'm not enamored with Jackson's 57% college completion percentage.  That's pretty horrible.  He is athletic and can run, but so what?  So can Tyrod.  See what that got us.

look how his completion % improved every year....the guy can learn and improve. 

1. Kirk Cousins - I understand he will cost upper 20s to sign per year.   However, proven comodity in the league and a top 10 starter.  We cannot continue doing the same thing with these retread QBs.  Also, I know it would cost alot but we would be able to use our draft picks on improving the roster at a significantly cheaper price. 

2. Move up for Darnold, Rosen, or Allen.  Will likely cost both firsts and next years first; maybe Glenn involved in this trade? Not excited about Mayfield, Jackson or Rudolph.

I would be OK with Alex Smith but he has his limitations and still think we would have to take a QB high - so his numbers were inflated this year, saw somebody posted a stat a few days ago that his recievers had the most separation in the league - wonder why he had his best season? Ours were dead last in separation.

This is the year to take a QB and we have capital; who cares if we take an OL, DL, LB or whatever.  No other position matters until we get a QB.  Cousins or move into the top 3 and draft one of these guys!

14 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

1. Fire Dennison - Done

2. Keep TT

3. Draft a QB in top two rounds but do not trade up more than a few picks

4. Release Peterman at the end of training camp

None of those guys are worth more than one first round pick.  What you are suggesting is career suicide for Beane

I trust them to decide what those guys are worth which is why if THEY love one of them, go get him, if not they will wait for the later guys.

On 1/10/2018 at 5:52 PM, Batman1876 said:

Every year (at least at the old board) the forum is flooded with QB threads regarding the draft and free agency. This year in particular there is a ton of options, lots of free agents and draft realevant QBs, and the Bills have clearly indicated a desire to make a change.

So what do you think the team should do at the QB position?

what would it take to get that done?

and what risks do you see involved with it your preference?

The move is to sign Cousins IMO.  We would have won 3 more games to get to 12 wins this year with Cousins (Car, Cincy, and Chargers) and might have even pulled another win or two out from Jets and Both NE losses.  Hard to say Jets as everyone on the team was awful and the only one who came to play that week was actually Tyrod, so dont know Cousins changes that game, just a bad week.  Then spend all our draft assets filling other holes.

But Cousins isnt officially an option, so lets pull him off the table.  I have felt that Baker Mayfield would be a Bill next year before anyone here even believed in Mayfield (people repeatedly told me he wasn't going to 3rd round, 2nd at best).  However, Mayfield not only proved those here wrong, but now has played himself into a spot in the draft where the Bills would have to make an costly move up for.  The way Beane covets draft picks, I am growing more and more skeptical he will pull off a big enough move to get Mayfield, or any other QB.  So for the first time in months, I am changing my pick to someone other than Mayfield since I suspect we wont pay the price to get him.  

Prediction:  Bills stay patient and let the draft come to them in terms of QB, might even wait until the 2nd.  This would eliminate Rosen, Darnold, and Mayfield.  I do expect a 4th QB to come off the board before Bills pick, and if I had to guess today I think it would be Allen.  But the combine could shake up the QB board behind the big 3 as well, so little early to say.

So I think they choose either Allen, Jackson or Mason.  I wont rule out a trade up of some kind, just dont think they are going to give a bounty to get high enough to get one of the big 3.   Actually wouldnt be surprised if they packaged one first with either another pick between the 2nd and 4th (depending how high they moved) to trade up for a stud DT or LB so Beane can start to fix what he does best, defense.  If we hire Bevell as OC, I think Jackson definitely comes into play at QB more, anyone else gets hired and its a toss up based on the evaluations they do.  They may even wait and see who falls to the 2nd at QB because the QB's who should be there for our first round pick are all clumped together in grades IMO.  

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

The more I see and read about him, the more I would love it if the Bills drafted Lamar Jackson. 

His size, his arm strength, his running ability, we all know about...but he’s also improved his accuracy three straight years. His 3rd down conversion % is fantastic, and they guy is a leader. 

Lamar Jackson is going to be the next Wentz, the next DeShaun Watson in this league. 

Honestly, Jackson is very intriguing.  And I think if he hire Bevell he becomes even more in play.  But if he has a big combine and workouts, its quite possible he goes before we pick.  

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Honestly, Jackson is very intriguing.  And I think if he hire Bevell he becomes even more in play.  But if he has a big combine and workouts, its quite possible he goes before we pick.  

Jackson is not my favorite, but he is intriguing.  I worry about him staying healthy.  He seems very slight.  Don't want him crushed like RG3.

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Jackson is not my favorite, but he is intriguing.  I worry about him staying healthy.  He seems very slight.  Don't want him crushed like RG3.

Yeah thats a legit concern on whether his frame can hold in the NFL playing the style he does.

On January 12, 2018 at 8:28 AM, BuffaloHokie13 said:

One was the bowl game against VT!

He could've been watching the VT linebacker too. Hokie, what's your opinion of him?

5 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

This is my choice too. He's too dynamic not only as a passer, but a runner too. Get a bridge QB, because by the 6th game of the season we will see Lamar take over and a new era(no pun intended) begin.

10 hours ago, the skycap said:

He could've been watching the VT linebacker too. Hokie, what's your opinion of him?

I like Edmunds a lot, but I don't think he's what we're looking for in a LB. That being said, If Alexander is really shifting to DE then maybe he does fit a hole at OLB. His brother at Safety may be an option for us on day 2 though. And we have 2 CBs that fit McD's physical profile that should both be early day 3 types.

On 1/10/2018 at 9:21 PM, JMF2006 said:

The Vikes will not let him walk,I wouldn`t be surprised if they bring back Bradford and let Teddy B walk.

...Keenum is the ONLY healthy one.......I think they keep Teddy and let Bradford walk.......Sam needs TWO knee replacements with a one year warranty......

Bills should go the path of least resistance.  There should be minimal competition and no bidding war for the following high profile QBs :

Colin Kaepernick  

Pros :  He is a QB that has the Buffalo Barbarian seal of approval.  Has been to a Superbowl and was part of very successful San Fran teams.  Very athletic.   Has rocket arm and huge threat to run the ball.     I have heard here that he just had a down period and should bounce back.

Cons:   The anthem protest is a major off field distraction.  Also,  was never the most accurate QB .

Robert Griffin III

Pros:  Former 2nd overall pick that Washington traded the farm for .   Heisman Trophy winner.   Apparently had a "transcendent"  rookie season and is very accurate.     Also has a very good arm and is mobile.   Only reason he is down is because he was "ruined" by Shanahans.

Cons:    Not sure this guy knows how to operate in the pocket.   Diva attitude.

EJ Manuel

Pros:   Former number 1 pick of the Bills in 2013.  Has huuuge hands which apparently is a must in Buffalo weather.   Can throw the ball very far and is not a statue in the pocket.   Lots of TBD posters have gone to bat for this guy to be starter and still consider him to have been mishandled and never given a fair shot.

Cons:   Has less than ideal accuracy.    Still can't read a defense after several seasons.

Johnny Manziel

Pros:   Former Heisman Winner and 1st round pick.   Has good mobility and a good arm.   Can throw effectively on the run.   Likes to do his signature money gesture whenever TD is scored.   Endorsed by Buffalo Barbarian and a number of other TBD posters as one of the top QB options back in 2014 draft

Cons:  Parties too much  and may not show up for practice.    Probably won't operate very well in a a structured offense since he is used to streetball and his forte is running around like a chicken and throwing up jump balls.

Edited by prissythecat