How should the Bills address the QB situation, defend your position

Batman1876

2 hours ago, snafu said:

To me, Cousins is overrated and not worth all the money he'd suck up from the cap. He hasn't elevated the Redskins and he will be hated here if he doesn't bring wins.  Better off getting a cheaper FA who's teams have about a .500 career win% and spend the money on upgrading the holes in the roster.  Throwing all that money on Cousins seems like a stupid idea for where this team is right now.

You are paying him all the money and he hasnt really won anything in the NFL.  Matthew Stafford and Carr will be bench marks but I would argue both those guys have way more potential.  Cousins to me is who he is.  He is kind of an enigma.  Why wouldn't Washington commit long term?  It would have cost them mush less money against the cap?  Keenum reminds me an awful lot like Fitzpatrick.  Those are both legitmate FA that will be expensive.  Imo I would put money into the defense front 7 and make a move to the top 3 for a Qb.

I think we should trade for Carson Wentz.  Anyone agree?

6 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

1. Make Jimmy Garoppolo an offer he can't refuse. I believe he's a free agent.

2. Tradea 2nd and what we got for Dareus to the Chiefs for Alex Smith. Draft Baker Mayfield at 22.

3. If #1 and #2 don't work out then sign Bradford for two years without over paying and draft Baker Mayfield. Have one Okie QB teaching the ropes to another Okie QB.

4. Draft a QB in the first and let him Peterman and any veteran QB fight it out in preseason.

San Fran is keeping Garoppolo for a long time.

I think we should make a push for Kirk Cousins then we will have the position solved and we can use or first 4 picks in the first 2 rounds to fill in the roster and be ready to contend in a year or two.

At 21/22 we will be out of reach of the top QB talent.

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I'm going Alex Smith, and a trade up for Rosen/Darnold. We have tried a lot of different things over the past fifteen years to try and get a QB. The one thing that we haven't tried is a bold trade up for an elite prospect. I think now is the time for that move. I think a trade up with the Giants can definitely happen. What they need more than anything is a offensive line. At 21 and 22 the Giants could grab the best LT available like McGlinchey or Connor Williams and get a guy like Billy Price. That instantly takes them to playoff contenders again and lengthens Eli's career. They could also ask for Cordy Glenn in trade scenarios. The Beane-Gettleman connection certainly helps.  

I think, just cap space wise, Kirk Cousins goes to the Browns or the Jets. Teams like us, Jacksonville, Denver, Arizona are simply not able to afford him. The Browns and Jets have enough cap space to sign him without blowing up their entire team. We can't afford Cousins, and even if we could we are in competition with people who have way more money under the cap. Finally, if you sign the 30 year old Cousins, he isn't a bridge, he is your guy, which solidifies the position for 5 years or so. Then we are looking again for a long term answer. 

Drew Brees is a huge wildcard, but I don't see him leaving New Orleans. If he did he'd go to a dome like Minnesota or Arizona. 

Here's a guess on how things play out in QB carousel 2018: 

Browns - AJ McCarron - I think they get it done this time by trying something different than drafting  a young guy.  They have tried to draft guys and it hasn't worked. Get AJ and use your two top picks to get Barkley and Minkah Fitzpatrick. Or use one of those picks to trade down.  I think they like Kizer as a developmental guy. 

Jets - Cousins - They have a ton of Cap and if I'm Cousins I'd pick NY over Cleveland. Bowles has a chance here with his mini contract extension. Drafting a guy high guarantees he won't be the head coach when that guy is ready. I think they go veteran as Cousins can save his career. It makes zero sense for this coach and GM to go with a rookie QB.  

Vikings - Keenum - I think they would be crazy to let him walk after this year. I think they should keep Bridgewater, but I think they have to keep Keenum. 

Redskins - Bradford - He's a good fit for what Jay Gruden does. I think they draft a guy this year. I'm going Mason Rudolph here. 

Broncos  - I think they will make a play for Cousins. They are also a great fit for Alex Smith. KC will not trade him in the division in my opinion. To me the Broncos wind up with Jay Cutler or something like Nick Foles, Josh McCown and draft a young guy. I'm guessing Josh Allen. Seems like what Elway would want.  

Cardinals - Can't really say until they hire their coach, but I'm going Teddy Bridgewater. He's 25 years old and a great fit in a dome. This allows you to use your first round pick on something else. 

Jags - I think they are our biggest competitor for Alex Smith. I could see them making a play for Josh McCown if the Jets sign Cousins. Bortles should be out and I'm assuming Marrone will want a veteran. I could see them making a play for Bradford as well. 

If this scenario plays out, we'd be left with Alex Smith and would just have to get things done in the draft. I do think that Andy Reid gives the Bills a slight discount on an Alex Smith trade. They need to move him because he has a 20 million dollar cap hit. They also clearly want to move on to Mahomes and are looking for an excuse to do so. You just need to offer them something respectable like a 3rd rounder or two. In my opinion, they will not cut him for fear that he will go to the Broncos in their division. The Bills biggest competition would probably be the Jags or Redskins. 

I seen a report the other day that Denver was eyeing up Rudolph and could move back a few slots then grab him before Buffalos pick.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, frostbitmic said:

The Eagles aren't trading Wentz.

Garoppolo is a free agent and his cost would likely be in the Cousins ball park.

My Wentz comment was pure sarcasm.

49ers have first crack at Jimmy and they're not going to let him go.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/John-Lynch-We-Want-Jimmy-Garoppolo-to-Be-a-Niner-for-a-Long-Long-Time/3e137ea5-8777-42fb-9d50-eae0dd84deae

• Like (+1) 1

AJ Mcarron as the Bridge with the possibility of being the guy. I could see McCarron passing for 3,800 26 TD's and 12 INT's.

I like Baker Mayfield and if he drops past 12 I think we make a move to trade up and get him. He would learn behind McCarron for a few years and then we keep the better QB and trade the other for draft picks. 

Peterman is a wild card but I like that he isn't afraid to make passes into tight coverage and let his offensive playmakers make plays. It's hard to get a read on Peterman with the crazy circumstances he's had to play in. I wish we could've seen him play against the Colts in somewhat normal football conditions. Either way he will be competing with AJ McCarron and Mayfield for the right to be the starter. 

Having these 3 QB's on the roster would make me feel excited about the direction of the team and allow us to take a injury at the position and still be competitive.

18 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

The Eagles aren't trading Wentz.

Garoppolo is a free agent and his cost would likely be in the Cousins ball park.

The 49ers are going to use the franchise tag on him.

They didn't just trade a 2nd round pick to not keep him around long term. 

There is a 0% chance we add Jimmy G. 

Edited by jrober38

7 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

AJ Mcarron as the Bridge with the possibility of being the guy. I could see McCarron passing for 3,800 26 TD's and 12 INT's.

I like Baker Mayfield and if he drops past 12 I think we make a move to trade up and get him. He would learn behind McCarron for a few years and then we keep the better QB and trade the other for draft picks. 

Peterman is a wild card but I like that he isn't afraid to make passes into tight coverage and let his offensive playmakers make plays. It's hard to get a read on Peterman with the crazy circumstances he's had to play in. I wish we could've seen him play against the Colts in somewhat normal football conditions. Either way he will be competing with AJ McCarron and Mayfield for the right to be the starter. 

Having these 3 QB's on the roster would make me feel excited about the direction of the team and allow us to take a injury at the position and still be competitive.

I like Mayfield a lot but I think he is gone in the top 6.

for those who say "develop peterman"...what the hell is there to develop? He throws like an infant...no thanks, doesn't cut it in the NFL. That throw that took four and a half minutes to get across the field in the playoff game is ALLLLLL you need to see to know his baby arm cannot compete...

Bring in a vet who is capable of reading defenses and attempting throws and who can start for one maybe two years, draft a guy IF YOU THINK HE CAN DO IT, and build the team....if the rookie surpasses the vet, then great...

* you need to take shots in the draft on QBs but only if you actually think they can do it. I guess they tried with Peterman but its obvious he does not have the physical tools to get it done (one good pass because he threw with anticipation, on the play Benjamin got injured, other than that he has looked like warm dog shat). Guys who argue to draft a QB just because we need one are idiots, yes its obvious we need a QB, but we need the RIGHT QB...if theres one there, draft him.

Cousins would be a sufficient upgrade, the problem with him is he'll most likely be the highest paid QB in the league when it's all said and done, do we have the salary cap to handle that sort of contract? We could make it work but at the expense of not being able to sign a few of our own guys, we would strictly have to find players in the draft, which we should be doing anyways and I'm all for it but I don't think this would be Cousins' 1st choice in an open market imo. 

The best route would be to draft our own, the downside is if you draft the wrong player your team is set back for years and the coaching regime is most likely fired but only trying twice in 18 years at a 1st round QB is unacceptable. This seems like a good year to go up and grab a QB, it will be expensive but the rewards could pay off big time. I believe this is the route the Bills should take because we can still sign free agents for the next 4 years if need be to compliment our QB. I'd rather have long term stability than a stop gap like Alex Smith who's shown he isn't good enough to take a team past the playoffs unless he has a dominant defense.

14 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Add one of group A.     Smith, Bradford, Keenum, Bridgewater, Mccown, Mccoy, Mcccaron. 

Add one of group B.      Rudolph, Mayfield. 

Alternative is all in for Rosen, and start him day 1. 

That is my plan as well. I would like to add a bridge QB. My preference would be Bradford. If he stays healthy we have a legit QB for the whole season and the rookie can sit an learn. He usually gets injured around week 8 and the rookie QB should be ready to go. My preference at this time for the draft is Rudolph. 

I would sign Bradford to a 1 year 15 million dollar contract with a team option for a second year. 

Then I would jump the Cardinals and the Bengals in the draft to make sure we get Rudolph. It will probably cost us a 1st, 2nd, and 5th but I am not messing around waiting for a franchise QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

1. I would fire Rico.

2. Sign Cousins.

3. Use this draft to lay the foundation for years to come:  Build both lines through this draft.

Some people love to hate on Cousins. His numbers over the last 3 seasons are absolutely awesome. Maybe 3-5 QB's in the NFL have better overall numbers than Cousins over that time period; he's been that good. The guy lost both his WR in the off season; lost his OC; lost his star TE to injury; had crap at RB; lost half his OL; and still managed to throw for 27TD this season (a "down" year).

I'd pay him whatever he wants. We have the money. He's 29. He's got a solid 5 years left of 27-32 TD/4500-4800yd passing seasons. What rookie can we make that guarantee for?. We have loads of draft picks. Build him a premier OL and improve the defense even more. We'll be in the playoffs for the next 5 years at least. 

For people who point to his W/L record:  Drew Brees and the Saints went 7-9 in 2014; 2015; and 2016. They went 11-5 this year for the same reason they went 11-5 in 2013 - they have a more complete team. Kirk Cousins isn't as good as Drew Brews, but the point is that the QB can only do so much when the team around him is subpar on various levels.

The redskins defense has never been great while Cousins has been there - they've ranged between average and flat out bad;  he's never had a running game; and Gruden is simply a subpar coach. The skins would've been better off firing Gruden and promoting McVay. 

If i'm Cousins - the Bills are a very attractive option. Shady still has juice left. We have at least 1 really good WR (we need to get another). We have a great young HC. And we have boatloads of picks. The arrow is pointing up. 

Edited by bobobonators

Lets see what Beane is made of.  There are about 6 Qbs that have potential to go first rd.  My order would be 1. Rosen 2. Darnold 3. Allen 4. jackson 5. Mayfield 6. Rudolph.  Also, you have an intersting situation in Minnestoa.  Bradford when healthy is very good.  Keenum is playing out of his mind and everyone in Minnesota thought Bridgewater was the guy.  Add in Cousins has put up consistent top 10 number the last 3 years and he will hit the open market.   I will even add in what is going on with Luck?  Cousins will cost the most money and Rosen, Darnold, and Allen will cost the most in terms of trade value.  What way does Beane go.  This year has some of the most Qb options than any year in recent memory.  This is going to define the current regime they ge the right guy they get statues if they pick the wrong one they are gone.  if they dont pick any they are gone sooner.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

1. Go all-in on Kirk Cousins.

2. If #1 fails, try to get either Case Keenum or Teddy Bridgewater. Then choose a quarterback with one of the first four picks in the draft (21, 22, 53, or 56).

3. If #1 and #2 fail, trade for Alex Smith then draft a quarterback with one of the first four picks in the draft (21, 22, 53, or 56) or trade up for a QB.

4. Trade draft picks 21 and 22 for a Top 10 pick and choose a QB. Let Peterman and the rookie battle it out in training camp for the starting spot.

Pretty much where I am at

• Like (+1) 1

Offer Cousins what we think he's worth or Move up in RD1 and draft a QB. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that we can turn our two first rounders into a early first round pick if we follow the Eagles playbook and package one of our 20s with a player to move up around 10 and then trade the other 20 and the 10 and maybe kick in a third for an early pick this year. Use that pick to draft whomever we like at QB and then invest heavily in the OL. 

I think that it may be impossible for us to land Cousins. A top ten QB has never hit the free agent market before without there being some sort of injury issue looming.  On top of that Washington has spent 3 years jacking up his market value  by franchising him and having him play well. On top of that free agency always raises the value of the contract. Clay is a good example of that on our team and Gilmore is an example of that as well (or remember the deal Bird signed).  The first time a top 10 QB ever hits free agency is going to cause a feeding frenzy. Cleveland and the Jets both have 3 times the cap space we have so there is no way we win a bidding war with them. All in all I am beginning to think Cousins is a pipe dream. 

My first choice would be to sign Kirk Cousins in FA if he truly becomes available. Doing that would obviously cost a ton of $, but would also alleviate the need to draft one in the early rounds this year. Instead those picks could be used to bolster the lines and other areas. That IMHO would be the best case scenario and almost certainly leads to a better 2018 product on the field.

If Cousins is not available (and assuming no serious franchise QB is likely to be on the board at 21/22), then I honestly do not believe that there is another realistic option -- based on age, experience, skill, etc. -- available in free agency that would "solve" the QB issue for the long-term. So I would try to work the phones in hopes of using the heavy 2018 draft capital to move up for a franchise QB in the draft. If this happens, then I would like to see a journeyman veteran (Bradford, McCown, Moore, etc.) come in to help mold the rookie.

If legitimate options do not present themselves to trade up for a franchise guy, then I pray that the team does not over-reach for a lesser guy. Instead, there is no reason we can't push the draft capital back another year. That is, 21 and 22 are prime spots for teams who want to move up from the 2nd round to get that 6th year option on a player in the later part of the 1st round. Such a move would move one of our first rounders back to the 2nd round -- but garner another later 2018 pick in addition to an extra 2019 1st. In that scenario, you still draft a QB in 2018 if/when the value dictates AND acquire a second-tier QB that can start for a couple of years (Alex Smith or whomever).

So in summary:

1. Sign Cousins; only draft a QB if BPA in given round

2. Package picks to trade up for Rossen/Darnold/whomever; sign inexpensive veteran to mentor and possibly start early in the season

3. Sign a serviceable starting QB in FA (like Alex Smith); draft BPA QB; trade down with one of our 1st round picks to get an extra picks this year plus 1st rounder in 2019 and hope for a better shot at a franchise guy in 2019