QB Film Room: Josh Allen

Buffalo716

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The thing about Allen is, is he consistent and accurate when not under pressure? 

Voch Lombardi in his scouting film pointed out that with Lamar Jackson, he could predict when he would be inaccurate because his footwork was off before he threw (other throws, the mechanics are proper, and the throws on target).  But with Allen, he would see what looked like good mechanics and adequate time to throw, and sometimes his throw would still be off target.  If that's true, it may be harder for Allen to fix things.  The first challenge will be to identify the problem. 

Then there's that Senior Bowl throw at the nets.  Allen.  Net #2.  Sailing, sailing.  We'll see.

What bothers me about the "lack of talent Wyoming" thing, is that it seems to me it's also true of most of the teams he faced, so it should come out in the wash, vs guys who had more talent around them, but also faced more talent.

That is definitely a good point... a blue chip QB prospect doesn't fold up as much as Allen   Did against lesser competition 

25 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

716:  If you are Beane, how much would you be willing to get Rosen?

I think it it all depends on the trading partner and what they need.

I'd give both firsts this year and probably even a 2nd next year if it would get it done but it probably wouldn't 

Realistically that's like only giving up a first and second because we would be swapping one of our firsts to select Rosen

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think it it all depends on the trading partner and what they need.

I'd give both firsts this year and probably even a 2nd next year if it would get it done but it probably wouldn't 

Realistically that's like only giving up a first and second because we would be swapping one of our firsts to select Rosen

I would give up both of our first round picks, a second and include either a first or second round pick next year. If it takes more such as dealing off Cordy Glenn I would still consider it a fair deal. My line of thinking is if you believe as I do that the Bills are still in a multi-year rebuilding mode to become a serious team then the one essential ingredient is to acquire a franchise qb. Once the qb is secured then the team has more options to take through the future drafts, free agency and trades  to bring in more talent. 

Getting a legitimate franchise qb is more of a priority than addressing any other position. You can get useful temporary fill-ins for other position from free agency but it is unlikely that you can get an upper scale qb through free agency or trades. Another advantage of drafting a top tier qb is that for the next few years you are paying less for a premium position than if you sought your franchise qb through the market. 

Just think how differently we would be looking at this drafit if last year the Bills would have drafted a qb such as Mahomes or Watson? The priority mission this year is to get a high level prospect on board and then work on broadening the talent on the roster. 

21 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I would give up both of our first round picks, a second and include either a first or second round pick next year. If it takes more such as dealing off Cordy Glenn I would still consider it a fair deal. My line of thinking is if you believe as I do that the Bills are still in a multi-year rebuilding mode to become a serious team then the one essential ingredient is to acquire a franchise qb. Once the qb is secured then the team has more options to take through the future drafts, free agency and trades  to bring in more talent. 

Getting a legitimate franchise qb is more of a priority than addressing any other position. You can get useful temporary fill-ins for other position from free agency but it is unlikely that you can get an upper scale qb through free agency or trades. Another advantage of drafting a top tier qb is that for the next few years you are paying less for a premium position than if you sought your franchise qb through the market. 

Just think how differently we would be looking at this drafit if last year the Bills would have drafted a qb such as Mahomes or Watson? The priority mission this year is to get a high level prospect on board and then work on broadening the talent on the roster. 

Definitely though I'm still not sold on Mahomes..

Watson on the other hand I had rated much higher 

14 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's apparent that KC had a high view of Mahomes as a draft prospect. And after watching him in practice for a season it's also apparent that he met their expectations as demonstrated by their trade of Smith who still had time on his contract.My intention is not to debate about a particular qb as it is to emphasize that especially for a team that doesn't have a franchise qb you have to make it a priority to address that issue. 

Repeating what I have already said once that position is addressed a team has so many more options in building a roster. Without that issue solidified your team will continue to flounder.  

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It's apparent that KC had a high view of Mahomes as a draft prospect. And after watching him in practice for a season it's also apparent that he met their expectations as demonstrated by their trade of Smith who still had time on his contract.My intention is not to debate about a particular qb as it is to emphasize that especially for a team that doesn't have a franchise qb you have to make it a priority to address that issue. 

Repeating what I have already said once that position is addressed a team has so many more options in building a roster. Without that issue solidified your team will continue to flounder.  

Obviously they are sold on him and I understand your point

the top QBs this year are far ahead of last years draft

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

That is definitely a good point... a blue chip QB prospect doesn't fold up as much as Allen   Did against lesser competition 

That is a good point. Mike White had an oline that was horrible and bad WRs this year and was still able to produce. Rosen was able to produce with lack of talent as well. It just seems like that would be an excuse you would have to talk yourself into if you like Allen.

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I was just thinking about how last years draft compared to this years. 

I seriously think I have 10 QB prospects this year with higher grades than Davis Webb, that is crazy to think about. 

I don't have anyone graded as high as Watson last year but Darnold is close. Right now I have Darnold ahead of Rosen just because of the durability issues. 

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.