Lorax says more DE for him next year

8 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I get that but how can McD/Beane make any guarantees without FA and the draft.

Again I have no issues with the Lorax but it's not like he's a spring chicken and he certainly didn't have the year he did last season although played the best game of his career in the playoffs against the jags.

Accepted a renegotiated contract i might guess ?

Rotational DE and situational pass rusher. I like it.

be interesting to lose Hughes. Defenses seriously account for him regardless of stats

ps

I am  Fan of 55 . no question.

Edited by 3rdand12

3 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Accepted a renegotiated contract i might guess ?

Rotational DE and situational pass rusher. I like it.

be interesting to lose Hughes. Defenses seriously account for him regardless of stats

ps

I am  Fan of 55 . no question.

I've never been a big fan of Hughes mostly because of the stupid penalties. But he did not have a great year for this team when it was expected he would return to form like he did under St. Doug/Pettine/Schartz's 4-3 schemes.

Not all his fault obviously but will be interesting to see what this team does given he's another high salary player from the previous regime.

4 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I've never been a big fan of Hughes mostly because of the stupid penalties. But he did not have a great year for this team when it was expected he would return to form like he did under St. Doug/Pettine/Schartz's 4-3 schemes.

Not all his fault obviously but will be interesting to see what this team does given he's another high salary player from the previous regime.

No question about his effectiveness this year. But he still looked fast off the ball and has the bend. another i still miss Jim S and Mike P. The whole line was kicking assets
I wonder his stats are against the run this year ?

Go Lorenzo ! Hope it is all true getting you back

Edited by 3rdand12

3 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

No question about his effectiveness this year. But he still looked fast off the ball and has the bend. another i still miss Jim S and Mike P. The whole line was kicking assets
I wonder his stats are against the run this year ?

Go Lorenzo ! Hope it is all true getting you back

PFF actually had JH graded out well for pass rush efficiency, but sacks and turnovers created from them matter and JH pretty much had the worst season of his career in terms of finishing.

22 minutes ago, WMDman said:

They love his leadership and his ST play, that goes a long way with this staff. He’ll prolly take a pay cut

I don't know that he'll be asked to take a pay cut. He and Kyle (and Wood) are appreciated for their leadership as you state, and it takes a few years to really ingrain the culture they desire. I'm sure McD would love to have Kyle and Lo back for one more year. 

You dont get better by getting rid of all your good players.....Hughes was very good against the run this year.

The problem is no edge on the opposite side for teams to really game plan for........and lack of talent in the middle of the DL....in this defensive scheme down linemen HAVE to get pressure because we dont blitz a ton.

Hughes will still be here because he is our best DE of a team of mediocre DE's.

Lorax will be here because he provides invaluable leadership and his leadership will be even more important considering our team is set to get a whole lot younger this next coming season.

24 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Too bad. He's our only legitimate pass rusher and one of the most physically durable players we've ever had.

Had a tough year though. 

Minimal pass rush, missed sacks, not containing the edge.

While he was a very good player, he didn't really have a good year

The best thing he does is rush the passer...surprisingly from the middle of the line many times because he is quick enough to split the gap between the linemen but also big and strong enough to not be disrupted going through

37 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

How does he even know he's going to be on the team?

I like Zo and he's a great story, but given his age and contract not sure he fits into this team going forward especially as a starter.

His contract is only a couple of million and it only goes up by $400k next year.  That's pretty cheap.

34 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

They will listen to offers for him, if they get one that they like Hughes will be traded

Smart...get rid of the guys who actually harass opposing QBs...pretty sure his PFF stats for disruptions was still pretty high this year even tho it didn't always translate into sacks...plus he is literally never injured...hard to get rid of a guy who can always be counted on to be on the field.

Edited by matter2003

6 minutes ago, TPS said:

I don't know that he'll be asked to take a pay cut. He and Kyle (and Wood) are appreciated for their leadership as you state, and it takes a few years to really ingrain the culture they desire. I'm sure McD would love to have Kyle and Lo back for one more year. 

renegotiate might mean more guaranteed money while reducing cap. Good for both parties ?

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

How does he even know he's going to be on the team?

I like Zo and he's a great story, but given his age and contract not sure he fits into this team going forward especially as a starter.

I dont think anyone said he'd be a starter....I think he still has 1 or 2 more years left in him, just enough time for McD to get this team where he wants it i think

10 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Had a tough year though. 

Minimal pass rush, missed sacks, not containing the edge.

While he was a very good player, he didn't really have a good year

not sure about the edge containment comment here. seems he nearly always drove outside, forcing the play or passing  lane inside the tackle.
but yes he was not able to finish enough.
Pressures< turnovers were the key this season. sacks? not so much

Edited by 3rdand12

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

not sure about the edge containment comment here. seems he nearly always drove outside, forcing the play or passing  lane inside the tackle.
but yes he was not able to finish enough.
Pressures< turnovers were the key this season. sacks? not so much

I was more referring on passing plays.

Seemed like he ran by the QB a lot of the time, opening up a huge lane for the QB to either run or step up and throw.

I could be wrong, it just seemed like he did that pretty frequently though

6 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I was more referring on passing plays.

Seemed like he ran by the QB a lot of the time, opening up a huge lane for the QB to either run or step up and throw.

I could be wrong, it just seemed like he did that pretty frequently though

And by design if we had dominat interior players a QB that did that would be stepping right into a sack.

Our issues have just as much (if not more) to do with lack of interior pushing of the pocket.

1 minute ago, John from Hemet said:

And by design if we had dominat interior players a QB that did that would be stepping right into a sack.

Our issues have just as much (if not more) to do with lack of interior pushing of the pocket.

Fair enough, no disagreements on how bad the interior of the line was.

But at the same time, a Defensive ends job is not to run by the QB and lose contain lol