Predict the 2018 OC/Rookie QB combo

YoloinOhio

Bills 2018 OC/Rookie QB will be...  

125 members have voted

1. 1. OC

• Brian Da-BOLL
    • Brian DA-boll
  2. 2. Rookie QB

Just a quick reminder of what Beane said about what he looks for in a QB in May:
- Intangibles are more important than prototypical size & shape

- Leadership Qualities

- Ability to throw from the pocket is a must

- Mobility when necessary is appreciated

- Values Accuracy over Arm Strength as long as arm strength is adequate; acknowledges gains in arm strength at this level are minimal at best

- Willing to take calculated risks, specifically in situations like 3rd & long. Mentioned wanting them to go through their progression let it rip and thread the needle rather than take off and run like many college guys tend to do these days - acknowledging that speed is different at the NFL level and that doesn't work as much.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Not the ones that matter.

His arm is average, he's not particularly mobile and he has no experience operating an offense where he's required to read a defense or call plays. His accuracy is also inconsistent and he was frequently bailed out by his extremely talented group of wide receivers. I don't see any difference between him and Bryce Petty coming out of college. 

Do you know which ones matter to McBeane? We only know the ones they have shown/discussed they believe in. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Do you know which ones matter to McBeane? We only know the ones they have shown/discussed they believe in. 

No, but I assume they're a lot of the things Rudolph doesn't possess.

The guy is tall, and throws for a ton of yards in the Big XII, but his game doesn't translate to the NFL.

• doesn't have a big arm
  • doesn't have any experience under centre 
  • doesn't have any experience going through progressions 
  • doesn't have elite accuracy 
  • doesn't have good mobility 

I think Rudolph winds up going a lot later than expected. Like I said, what's the difference between him and Bryce Petty? 

6 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Just a quick reminder of what Beane said about what he looks for in a QB in May:
- Intangibles are more important than prototypical size & shape

- Leadership Qualities

- Ability to throw from the pocket is a must

- Mobility when necessary is appreciated

- Values Accuracy over Arm Strength as long as arm strength is adequate; acknowledges gains in arm strength at this level are minimal at best

- Willing to take calculated risks, specifically in situations like 3rd & long. Mentioned wanting them to go through their progression let it rip and thread the needle rather than take off and run like many college guys tend to do these days - acknowledging that speed is different at the NFL level and that doesn't work as much.

Sounds like he's describing a lot of what Baker Mayfield brings to the table. 

• Like (+1) 1

Player over scheme all day.

Scheme makes players like Dareus, Ragland, Gaines and Hogan

Best football player first. 

Best athlete second

Best fit third.

Wait until we have a scheme that is working to build into it with players that fit it.  And this is why I am concerned with our 2018 defense. We are Hodge podge right now and the need at LB is so refined to this "scheme" we are running uphill.  But I like Ryan Davis, Yarborough, others. Would think star latoweewaaleebeebopbo would be the cream on top with a good vet linebacker and a rookie to work in...

39 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

After hearing Beane talk about the QB's....would you eliminate Jackson and Rudolph?  He basically said he doesn't want a QB that's so scheme specific this morning on WGR.

I would rather have Brady's pocket awareness where he makes a small move that is always in the right direction to buy him a few more seconds. I will take pocket awareness over a athletic QB all day long. Brady's eyes are always looking down field even when he is moving in the pocket.

39 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

IMO, Jackson more than Rudolph.  

I really think Beane just wants that traditional pocket passer and IMO, that's not Rudolph or Jackson.

Did you listen to the WGR interview?  He basically said the negative of getting a scheme specific QB is if you have success, that OC gets a HC job somewhere, then you have to identify another OC that specializes in this QB's skill set.  They want someone that can adapt to most schemes.  

That could indicate we go after McCoy as OC since he was known for developing a scheme for Kyle Orton and then Tim Tebow. 

Just now, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would rather have Brady's pocket awareness where he makes a small move that is always in the right direction to buy him a few more seconds. I will take pocket awareness over a athletic QB all day long. Brady's eyes are always looking down field even when he is moving in the pocket.

Brady is the greatest QB of all time moving inside the pocket.  He slides and steps up better than anyone to play that position.

It's almost like Floyd Mayweather....you think you got him but then you don't.  But he's still within arms reach.

tom-brady-avoids-sack-4th-quarter-744-oa

51 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

After listening to the press conference yesterday and then the ensuing interviews with McBean... predict what you think they will do. Not what you want to happen, but what you actually think will be the OC/ Rookie QB combo in 2018.

i think it is clear they aren’t happy with the offense (they said that) and they are going to take a QB in the 1st round (Beane said he’s “seen all the QB’s that matter” and clarified that to mean those projected to go in the 1st).

I wish it were possible to vote on OC without QB.  I don't watch enough college football to have an opinion worth the powder to blow it to hell on college QB and I don't have the energy to look up stuff I think matters, like completion %, on all of them.

I wish they would go after Cousins, but perhaps they put out feelers and decided he had priced himself out of their market given the number of teams competing and the number of gaps they need to fill.

2 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

I'm not for or against Rudolph but he had a 65% completion rate this year and 63% over 4 years. Why is anyone saying he has bad accuracy?

There's a reason scouts watch the games and don't just look at the box score. 

4 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

I'm not for or against Rudolph but he had a 65% completion rate this year and 63% over 4 years. Why is anyone saying he has bad accuracy?

Accuracy isn't just completion percentage, it's also an ability to accurately throw to a spot on the field that a  receiver can make a play on a ball and/or throw guys open. I mean that's why those that watch Tyrod are so critical because from a box score he looks like a good QB yet if watch him he's far from accurate. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Brady is the greatest QB of all time moving inside the pocket.  He slides and steps up better than anyone to play that position.

It's almost like Floyd Mayweather....you think you got him but then you don't.  But he's still within arms reach.

tom-brady-avoids-sack-4th-quarter-744-oa

He has pocket awareness, but I don't give him "greatest" at that - not even best of the current crop.  That would be Drew Brees IMHO, closely followed by Aaron Rodgers.

Brees is amazing.  It's like he's coated with teflon and has eyes in the back of his head.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He has pocket awareness, but I don't give him "greatest" at that - not even best of the current crop.  That would be Drew Brees IMHO, closely followed by Aaron Rodgers.

Brees is amazing.  It's like he's coated with teflon and has eyes in the back of his head.

100%

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Accuracy isn't just completion percentage, it's also an ability to accurately throw to a spot on the field that a  receiver can make a play on a ball and/or throw guys open. I mean that's why those that watch Tyrod are so critical because from a box score he looks like a good QB yet if watch him he's far from accurate. 

True dat, but I have to say for whatever reason I don't see our WR adjusting on the ball and making those arms-reach catches top WR on other teams seem to haul in.

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I agree but TT throws only to the RB and TE. He also does not throw for major yardage, which Rudolph did, he beat TT by 2100 yards. TT also had a lower completion rate with 60 less attempts.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They are good but I still have Brady the best at eluding pressure in the pocket.  He slides and steps up better than anyone I've seen.  He feels the pressure and knows where to move just enough to elude the sack while keeping his eyes downfield.  Of course, I've seen Brady a lot more than Brees or Rogers.

Romo in a game talked about it too and had the same opinion.  

Just now, Starr Almighty said:

I agree but TT throws only to the RB and TE. He also does not throw for major yardage, which Rudolph did, he beat TT by 2100 yards. TT also had a lower completion rate with 60 less attempts.

Please stop using college stats. They're completely irrelevant when projecting QBs to the NFL. 

44 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I do not think Lamar Jackson fits their player profile or QB profile but he’s projected to go in the 1st so i included him. 

Another OC who is available is Matt Canada from LSU. He was Peterman’s OC at Pitt. It’s a bit out of the box. But he’s creative and highly thought of. I don’t think it worked out with Orgeron but it wasn’t from an Xs and Os basis from what i hear. 

I did not realize that Canada was available. I'd like him a lot. A bright, creative, innovative guy is not a bad way to go. Look at the Rams. 

As far as QBs go my guess is that Beane likes Josh Allen. Why? Because he was Director of Player personnel in Carolina when they picked another circa 6'5" 235 pound QB who could run like the wind and had a very strong arm. There were lots of questions surrounding Cam's ability to transition successfully to the NFL passing game (some might say there still is lol). He couldn't throw a shallow out at the Combine but the Panthers were confident that he could develop and they were right. Some folks also question Allen's accuracy but the funny thing is it's the "easy" throws that he needs to work on. His long ball accuracy is considered very good. When Beane says he does not want a scheme specific QB I think he's signaling his preference for a prototypical big boy pocket passer. If the guy is mobile that's a plus for sure. I think Allen goes to Arizona or Denver. They may have to move up to get him.