The Right Off Season Plan

Domdab99

1 hour ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

This is why the Alex Smith to the Bills talk makes even more sense, on top of the perceived scheme fit. 

The Bills played their way out of the top QB lottery in the draft, even with two 1sts. There are numerous holes on the roster, and aging players. Smith (or a guy like him, not too expensive) can come in and keep the Bills competetive while they shore up the roster over the next 2-3 years, while also (hopefully) drafting a QB in the first couple of rounds this year and (if deemed necessary) next. Otherwise we're looking at a couple down years, regardless of schedule. 

Exactly.  I'm an advocate to getting Alex Smith in FA for a 3rd, who I think is a better passing QB than Tyrod.  Is Alex Smith going to solve all our problems?  No.  But I suspect he'll be an improvement to what we have now.  It is crazy to spend a fortune and move up to the top 5 with the amount of holes we have in other positions.  If we move up, it should be in the 10-15 range which won't cost as much.  QB is a gamble, and more so than other positions - maybe it will work out, maybe it won't.  Do we really want to find out that that a guy we bet the house on doesn't pan out?  Imagine the regret if that happens, since it will set us back years.

One of the worst throwing QBS in the league but we can not upgrade?

Went to the playoffs because of other teams help and Tyrod still couldnt do well enough to even get one TD.

It is a QB driven league and this team is a RB driven team, this team needs to get with the times. Throw the dam ball. Get a pocket QB

Edited by xRUSHx

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Exactly.  I'm an advocate to getting Alex Smith in FA for a 3rd, who I think is a better passing QB than Tyrod.  Is Alex Smith going to solve all our problems?  No.  But I suspect he'll be an improvement to what we have now.  It is crazy to spend a fortune and move up to the top 5 with the amount of holes we have in other positions.  If we move up, it should be in the 10-15 range which won't cost as much.  QB is a gamble, and more so than other positions - maybe it will work out, maybe it won't.  Do we really want to find out that that a guy we bet the house on doesn't pan out?  Imagine the regret if that happens, since it will set us back years.

Agreed. Making the playoffs may have earned McDermott and Beane some job security, but not much. They still have a lot of work to do, and the decision to keep the HC and/or GM or let them go will be based more on what they do in years 2 & 3. The easiest and most dependable path to having a "good" 2018 & 2019 is not to sell the farm and bring in a good vet QB on a 3 year deal, while using those picks on other players. 

This doesn't mean that I'm opposed to a trade up for "their guy", it's just that I don't see that as being possible with how the draft is set. Maybe Mayfield can be had if they trade up to around 7-12, but I doubt it. After him, you're taking a big risk by trading up, but a guy can be had for much less draft capital, so that's still a possibility, and they may still have one of their 1st round picks after that trade. 

But they still need a bridge. No way they're going to sink or swim with a project rookie QB or Peterman. McDermott has laid down a good foundation. Guys like Hyde have been singing his praises, as well as the team and city, after having a different view going in. Bringing in key free agents may not be as difficult, especially if the perception of coming to Buffalo is different because of things like that. Money talks, of course, so I don't expect anything flashy. Guys can come in a become solid contributors very quickly, at affordable rates, just like Poyer and Gaines have. Alex Smith will probably cost around $18-20 mil per year, which isn't bad, but they'll want to keep some extra cap space to help manage the following years. 

1 hour ago, xRUSHx said:

One of the worst throwing QBS in the league but we can not upgrade?

Went to the playoffs because of other teams help and Tyrod still couldnt do well enough to even get one TD.

It is a QB driven league and this team is a RB driven team, this team needs to get with the times. Throw the dam ball. Get a pocket QB

Who do you suggest?

4 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Agreed. Making the playoffs may have earned McDermott and Beane some job security, but not much. They still have a lot of work to do, and the decision to keep the HC and/or GM or let them go will be based more on what they do in years 2 & 3. The easiest and most dependable path to having a "good" 2018 & 2019 is not to sell the farm and bring in a good vet QB on a 3 year deal, while using those picks on other players. 

This doesn't mean that I'm opposed to a trade up for "their guy", it's just that I don't see that as being possible with how the draft is set. Maybe Mayfield can be had if they trade up to around 7-12, but I doubt it. After him, you're taking a big risk by trading up, but a guy can be had for much less draft capital, so that's still a possibility, and they may still have one of their 1st round picks after that trade. 

But they still need a bridge. No way they're going to sink or swim with a project rookie QB or Peterman. McDermott has laid down a good foundation. Guys like Hyde have been singing his praises, as well as the team and city, after having a different view going in. Bringing in key free agents may not be as difficult, especially if the perception of coming to Buffalo is different because of things like that. Money talks, of course, so I don't expect anything flashy. Guys can come in a become solid contributors very quickly, at affordable rates, just like Poyer and Gaines have. Alex Smith will probably cost around $18-20 mil per year, which isn't bad, but they'll want to keep some extra cap space to help manage the following years. 

Who do you suggest?

To draft I want them to move up for Darnold or Rosen. If not then have a modest move up and try for Mayfield/Rudolph.

I wouldnt mind Smith as long as they still draft a top pick like Rudolph.

ABT, anybody but Tyrod that ship has sunk.

Tyrod is no mentor, I would take Fitz back over Tyrod (not that i want him)considering how smart Fitz is and how I would think he would be a teacher of the game over Tyrod teaching how to hold a towel on his head. 

Edited by xRUSHx

4 hours ago, StevieJohnsonGOAT said:

This guy gets it.  The Jaguars have the best defense in the league and have NO CHANCE at winning the super bowl because their QB sucks.  No other position really matters other than QB.   Have to get your franchise guy no matter the cost

So what you're hoping for is to be like the Jags and reach for a QB so it can put us over the hump and be successful.  Kind of like how the Jags reached for Bortles at 3 in 2014? Essentially they are a threat because they built around Bortles. Just shows the volatility of reaching for a qb early, wed also have to sacrifice 3 first rounders too.

Edited by BillsMafia13
Rewording

3 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

To draft I want them to move up for Darnold or Rosen. If not then have a modest move up and try for Mayfield/Rudolph.

I wouldnt mind Smith as long as they still draft a top pick like Rudolph.

ABT, anybody but Tyrod that ship has sunk.

Tyrod is no mentor, I would take Fitz back over Tyrod (not that i want him)considering how smart Fitz is and how I would think he would be a teacher of the game over Tyrod teaching how to hold a towel on his head. 

Darnold and Rosen are going 1 & 2, unless the Browns go Brownsing again. But a trade up into the top 3 would cost the Bills both 1sts this year, a 1st next year, and probably another pick or two, unless they package a player in there as well. I wouldn't hate that, but I don't see it happening.

I would not mind Rudolph or Mayfield waiting behind Smith at all.

4 hours ago, CLTbills said:

Should we do it like Cleveland? Just burn our 1st every year on a QB, play him for a season, then draft another? Look, I'll be the first to admit that we NEED a QB. We are a halfway-competent QB away from being a real contender IMO. Just halfway freaking competent. However, drafting a franchise QB isn't that simple. If it was, everybody would have one. 

Drafting QBs is like the lottery, you have to be in it to win it.

Teams want the top of the class prospects and to get one you need to spend. Life is not simple and if you just give up on getting better you will never succeeded in life so you will never stop working at Burger King because hey at least it is a job and moving on is just too hard because hey you could end up a bum with no job at all. SMH

If you want better you have to take the chance and go get it. It is not like Tyrod is a top QB, he is the leader of one of the worse passing teams in the league. Just a minor upgrade at QB would have had us winning that Jacksonville game not stuck with just a FG.

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Like (+1) 1

I agree with the OP in that that it's much harder to find a franchise QB than it is to fail.  I always laugh whenever I see these posts, Beane needs to get a franchise QB and if he can't find one, he should be fired.  If it were that easy every team in the league would have one. In reality there are a half dozen or so true franchise guys and another 10 to 15 guys that are paid like top franchise guys, but struggle as they are making so much money , not enough cap space to pay enough other great players to keep on the team and the team is middle of the road.

I do think TT needs to be replaced as there's just been too many terrible games and doubt he'll ever learn.  I started out the season in the camp of keeping him and using all the picks  to surround him with great talent, but have seen enough of his play to realize he's just terrible.  So full am in favor of moving on, but do realize it's much riskier than many here seem to think and be prepared for potentially going backwards.

I also feel the team has enough holes all around that wouldn't want to give up all the picks needed to move up to the top two picks. Unfortunately the team was a little too good this year that they are drafting too low to move up that far without giving away the farm to do so.  Both Philly and LA seemed to have had move overall talent than the Bills did before getting their QB.  So here too wouldn't mind seeing them fill other holes first.

Something that I haven't seen mentioned at all would be the idea of taking one of the 1st round picks we have and trading to a team for next years (2019) 1st round pick and maybe pick up a another 2nd and/or 3rd for this year.  That would allow more spots to be filled this year pick up a middle of the road vet for this year and potentially put off the high draft pick QB for another year.  You could argue we'll likely again be middle of the road and would again take too much draft capital to move up, but if you picked up another 2nd and 3rd this year in a trade, plus our own 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, I wouldn't feel you'd need as many picks next year.  The other argument against this I'm sure is this years group of QB's is much better.  But even this year, in September this years class was talked about like it was the greatest ever.  Now everyone of them has some question mark about them so likely the same will happen next season too.

7 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

3. Use one of those picks on a QB...maybe even move up a few spots if it's someone dropping that we really love. Maybe Jackson, maybe Rudolph, who knows? Or, take a flyer on a Smith in the latter rounds. 

I agree with your take entirely and would add in Mike White as one of the later picks at QB.  Solid post.

3 hours ago, dneveu said:

Scout the hell out of the top 4 - if the top 2 are out at 1/2, and you love 3.  Make it happen.

scout the hell of the top ten or 20. You do not have one? you pour your resources into finding a couple who might be the key to Franchise QB success.

I am going to mention Andrew Luck, as the example of how NOT to do it. No O line to protect him. And poor development from their GM to get get solid players across the field.
always look to draft one. but geez louise, be smart about it for a nice change, Buffalo

Edited by 3rdand12

36 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Drafting QBs is like the lottery, you have to be in it to win it.

Teams want the top of the class prospects and to get one you need to spend. Life is not simple and if you just give up on getting better you will never succeeded in life so you will never stop working at Burger King because hey at least it is a job and moving on is just too hard because hey you could end up a bum with no job at all. SMH

If you want better you have to take the chance and go get it. It is not like Tyrod is a top QB, he is the leader of one of the worse passing teams in the league. Just a minor upgrade at QB would have had us winning that Jacksonville game not stuck with just a FG.

While I agree with pretty much your entire statement, you also just confirmed my point. You said, "Just a minor upgrade at QB would have had us winning that Jacksonville game not stuck with just a FG." Which is what I was saying. A minor upgrade, someone halfway competent, has us winning playoff games. I don't see the need to mortgage the future of the franchise, hoping you strike gold, when a "minor upgrade" (your words) is what is needed to be playoff-competitive.

Trade away one of those picks to move up a couple, OK i'll bite. But don't give it all away. 

I trust Beane in his evaluations....you know him and McD had a big part in our last draft which was phenominal.

If he think this is the year to use some of that draft capital we have biult up to take a real shot at a QB.....do it please.   It is the one thing we have not tried.

Yes we drafted EJ Manuel in the 1st round....but we drafted him in what was considered a poor QB draft

This draft is not being looked at that way....get your guy but please get a qb that FITS YOUR SCHEME.....dont draft a player and try to figure out how to make him fit.

15 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

While I agree with pretty much your entire statement, you also just confirmed my point. You said, "Just a minor upgrade at QB would have had us winning that Jacksonville game not stuck with just a FG." Which is what I was saying. A minor upgrade, someone halfway competent, has us winning playoff games. I don't see the need to mortgage the future of the franchise, hoping you strike gold, when a "minor upgrade" (your words) is what is needed to be playoff-competitive.

Trade away one of those picks to move up a couple, OK i'll bite. But don't give it all away. 

I said minor upgrade because IMO it won't take much to duplicate Tyrods 2017 season or even beat it. I want more, I want a chance at a top 10 QB and I want the Bills to go all in getting one. I do not want a minor upgrade, IF all i wanted was minor upgrade I would be asking for Fitz to return over Tyrod.

If they want Rosen/Darnold make the trades we have been waiting long enough for OBD to go all in on a franchise worthy QB. I would love either 

I am also in the just move up a little and grab Mayfield/Rudolph.  

IMO Allen has bust potential and Jackson is another running QB no thanks.

6 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

I trust Beane in his evaluations....you know him and McD had a big part in our last draft which was phenominal.

If he think this is the year to use some of that draft capital we have biult up to take a real shot at a QB.....do it please.   It is the one thing we have not tried.

Yes we drafted EJ Manuel in the 1st round....but we drafted him in what was considered a poor QB draft

This draft is not being looked at that way....get your guy but please get a qb that FITS YOUR SCHEME.....dont draft a player and try to figure out how to make him fit.

I agree man pull the trigger and get it done.

Time to take a real shot at one.

The fit the scheme idea I think is a knock on the running QB like Jackson. He needs a running scheme over the traditional pocket passer that could work in the majority of schemes. I think what he should have said was we want a pocket passer over the running first type. Just my opinion on the interview.

Edited by xRUSHx

5 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Beane was brought in after the draft. McDermott/Whaley worked this past draft. McDermott probably had final say on all draft choices last year.

1 minute ago, billieve420 said:

Beane was brought in after the draft. McDermott/Whaley worked this past draft. McDermott probably had final say on all draft choices last year.

You know the writing on the wall in that situation......they were going after players Beane was looking at in Carolina....take that for what its worth I guess

The Bills must draft a QB, it's plain and simple. They loaded up on picks for this reason, they also passed on QB Deshaun Watson which looks like another monumental mistake. This team must identify and draft a franchise QB, we will go nowhere without stability at QB. A stop gap is a short term solution and if you listen to the HC/GM closely, both preach about long term stability and that means successfully drafting and developing a QB imo.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel
  • Like (+1) 1