Seahawks fire OC Darrell Bevell & OL coach Tom Cable

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Right?

Those two super talented undrafted free agents, Doug Baldwin and Jermain Kearse

What's your point?  Are you trying to assert their draft position defines their talent after what they've done in the league?

Kearse just had a career year with the Jets with McCown throwing to him.

10 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

You would have thought if they were going to fire him, it would have been after he ga e the Pats a SB........

I don't think Carroll is that knee-jerk kind of guy.  He apparently checked off on that play and he wasn't going to throw his guy under the bus for it.

I think Bevell being fired now reflects several years of "not getting it done" and downward trajectory on offense.  "Creative differences" maybe, since the last few years have seen the Seasnakes move away from the run-first philosophy that brought them success.

IMHO, the Seasnakes have lost a number of key pieces on O (Okung and others on OL, Lynch, Kearse) and been a "day late and dollar short" at replacing them, but apparently Carroll thinks it was "on" Bevell to do more (or differently) with what he had. 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think Carroll is that knee-jerk kind of guy.  He apparently checked off on that play and he wasn't going to throw his guy under the bus for it.

I think Bevell being fired now reflects several years of "not getting it done" and downward trajectory on offense.  "Creative differences" maybe, since the last few years have seen the Seasnakes move away from the run-first philosophy that brought them success.

IMHO, the Seasnakes have lost a number of key pieces on O (Okung and others on OL, Lynch, Kearse) and been a "day late and dollar short" at replacing them, but apparently Carroll thinks it was "on" Bevell to do more (or differently) with what he had. 

They haven't drafted an offensive skill position in the 1st round since 2002! The closest they've come is Paul Richardson at pick 45. They just don't invest in the draft at the skills positions although they have drafted Okung, Ifedi and Carpenter in the 1st. 

Seattle literally put players that never played oline before to block a superbowl winning QB.

They literally had to add a fat clause to the RB they signed to be the starter.

The QB went out and threw for the most TD in league.

They fire the OC.  Talk about a scrapegoat.

7 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

They haven't drafted an offensive skill position in the 1st round since 2002! The closest they've come is Paul Richardson at pick 45. They just don't invest in the draft at the skills positions although they have drafted Okung, Ifedi and Carpenter in the 1st. 

And they let Carpenter and Okung walk and arguably have not done enough to replace them.

The Seasnakes rose to prominence by the ability to identify skill positions on the UDFA and FA scrap heap, but sometimes you need to just bring in a talent infusion.

7 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Seattle literally put players that never played oline before to block a superbowl winning QB.

They literally had to add a fat clause to the RB they signed to be the starter.

The QB went out and threw for the most TD in league.

They fire the OC.  Talk about a scrapegoat.

That's pretty much how I see it. 

You might justly add: "you missed the playoffs, in a year when your D faded from top-5 to 13th, and you fire the OC"

I'm thinking their OL coach may be next?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For values of "no talent" that include Russ Wilson, Marshawn Lynch, Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, and Jimmy Graham, that is

A Marshawn Lynch they never replaced, a nice WR that he helped develop, a middling Jermaine Kearse and a disappointing, failed, Jimmy Graham.  You didn't even get to the OL and what they did there...

59 minutes ago, Maynard said:

I would rather have DeFilippo as well. 

I would be happy with any of DeFilippo, McCoy, or Bevell over Dennison. All 3 are former QBs themselves (McCoy and Bevell at much higher levels than DeFil) and very experienced in QB development. That is the biggest thing I'm looking for in an OC right now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Hypothetically speaking if Bevell is hired here.....Josh Allen might fit that mold.

my buddy just sent me an allen highlight vid yesterday. i'll be the first to admit I havnt seen enough of him to make any real judgement on him but O. M. G. the darts he throws while on the run. good lord its pretty. like, "how is that physically possible" sort of throws.... now after the initial awe of the plays wore off I understood that some of those are easy picks for nfl defenders but that still didn't stop me from popping like ten boners. I also caught the first half of his bowl game and watched in plop a 55 yarder into his wr's lap in stride at the endzone......... BONERS!

what an intriguing prospect.

55 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Sign me up. Checks my major box of developing a young QB

this was my immediate thought... has already developed a qb from relying on the run game and d to being a guy that can single handedly take over games on his own. and as an OC he seems to be ok with calling either type of game, depending on strengths of the unit.

5 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

my buddy just sent me an allen highlight vid yesterday. i'll be the first to admit I havnt seen enough of him to make any real judgement on him but O. M. G. the darts he throws while on the run. good lord its pretty. like, "how is that physically possible" sort of throws.... now after the initial awe of the plays wore off I understood that some of those are easy picks for nfl defenders but that still didn't stop me from popping like ten boners. I also caught the first half of his bowl game and watched in plop a 55 yarder into his wr's lap in stride at the endzone......... BONERS!

what an intriguing prospect.

this was my immediate thought... has already developed a qb from relying on the run game and d to being a guy that can single handedly take over games on his own. and as an OC he seems to be ok with calling either type of game, depending on strengths of the unit.

I'm not defending Dennison but watching  Dree Brees throw the ball during the Saints/Panthers game made me realize just how bad Bortles and Taylor are.

Just now, Mike in Syracuse said:

I'm not defending Dennison but watching  Dree Brees throw the ball during the Saints/Panthers game made me realize just how bad Bortles and Taylor are.

the problems with getting cute in the redzone didn't just start this last sunday

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

Interesting point raised in Joe Buscalia's podcast, Rick Dennison was not hired by Brandon Beane. 

Hmmmm...

Oh, Lordy, our press still surprised over non-issues.  Remember last year when they were shocked, shocked to find that Whaley had no authority to hire or fire a coach who reported in parallel to him, directly to the owner (something made clear from the intro presser on)?

It's SOP in the league for the coaching assistants to report directly to the coach and for the coach to have the freedom to hire and fire them.  Certainly McDermott was clear on that point in the year-end presser, saying it would be his call if Dennison were terminated, 'as with all the coaching assistants and staff'

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

1 hour ago, Maynard said:

That OL is disgusting. I’ve been watching his offense since 2012 though and it doesn’t do much for me. Dennison has been crap as well though. 

I would rather have DeFilippo as well. 

Then you need to take a few steps closer to your TV.

The Seahawks have had a top 10 Offense in points scored 5 times since 2012.  They were 11th this year--without a RB.  Wilson threw 34 TDs.

• Like (+1) 1

I think they definitely need to wait and see what happens in Indy in terms of who gets hired as a HC. If they go with a defensive guy, they may want to keep Chudzinski. If they go with an offensive guy, he may be let loose. If Chudzinski is let go I think he's probably the guy, with Bevell and McCoy as possibilities as well.  

• Like (+1) 1