Do we all hate Mason Rudolph ?

Teddy KGB

the more I research different opionons on Rudolph there seems to be a huge concern in his abiltity to read a defense. He locks on to the 1st target often.. anbd/or misses wide open options that are right in front of him when its not his 1st read option

I like him.  Good accuracy on deep throws.  Big fella with good mechanics, and more than enough arm strength to play in Buffalo.  I like Josh Allen more, but I think it’s more realistic that Rudolph is there around 21-22.  I really, really don’t want to trade picks to move up for a QB.

I posted this in the other thread:

based on where we pick and his size it does make sense.  i think he is going to have a hard time breaking away from the stigma that surrounds the type of air raid offense they run at osu.  he reminds me too much of a Bryce Petty who in a similiar offense put up good numbers in college as well.  it's a big change to go from that to a pro style under center and have proper footwork and technique vs being in the shotgun and locking in on 1 read and just letting it fly quickly.  Rudolph is going to have to prove to scouts that he can work in the pocket and make proper reads and progressions before someone takes a 1st or even 2nd round chance on him.  but man, he does LOOK the part doesn't he?  big strong QB with a lot of starts under his belt.  the scouts are just really going to have to put him through the paces before taking that kind of chance on him

• Like (+1) 2

I really do want to like him, but I just don't see it. As kdiggz said above he really reminds of Bryce Petty, though Petty has a better arm and is a better athlete. He's big, but everything else seems so blah.

Most of the issues the boom or busts guys like Allen and Jackson have, Rudolph also has. Shoddy footwork, accuracy etc etc etc. But he has those same flaws without the upside or the huge arm or athleticism. Like I said I really do want to like him so hopefully he changes my mind over the next few months and I come around. To me he just isn't a franchise QB and his potential isn't much higher than Nathan Peterman's. 

• Like (+1) 1

I hate that people think Mason Rudolph is going to go higher than he will.

I think he winds up in the late second. And for where he is as a QB, that is already on the high end. 

Not a bad QB, but just as much as a project with his mechanics as Josh Allen is but without the same upside.

14 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I really do want to like him, but I just don't see it. As kdiggz said above he really reminds of Bryce Petty, though Petty has a better arm and is a better athlete. He's big, but everything else seems so blah.

Most of the issues the boom or busts guys like Allen and Jackson have, Rudolph also has. Shoddy footwork, accuracy etc etc etc. But he has those same flaws without the upside or the huge arm or athleticism. Like I said I really do want to like him so hopefully he changes my mind over the next few months and I come around. To me he just isn't a franchise QB and his potential isn't much higher than Nathan Peterman's. 

Dang shoulda read your post first, took the words right out of my mouth

• Like (+1) 1

Even better if we can get him in the 2nd. The Bills will definitely need to develop his mental game. Drop backs won't be that hard and he already has good pocket awareness.

I don't know why anyone would say he doesn't have a big arm. He's thrown plenty of great bombs and hits the deep out all day. Those Peterman interceptions will be completions for Rudolph.

Even better if we can get him in the 2nd. The Bills will definitely need to develop his mental game. Drop backs won't be that hard and he already has good pocket awareness.

I don't know why anyone would say he doesn't have a big arm. He's thrown plenty of great bombs and hits the deep out all day. Those Peterman interceptions will be completions for Rudolph.

Not the biggest fan of him.  He has a lot to work on.  He has shown putrid footwork and doesn't have a big arm.  A lot of times he just throws it up to his two great college wideouts and they make a play for him.  He tends to throw to his first read a lot and perhaps too often instead of going through his reads.  He just hasn't shown me anything that wows me.  I'd like to see how he does in his pro day and in his combine process.  Hopefully, he shows an improvement in some of the areas mentioned.  Otherwise, I have a difficult time taking him in the first round.  I see more of a second round QB in him.  Needs a lot of improvement. JMO

On 1/11/2018 at 11:37 AM, LeGOATski said:

Because he doesn’t have a cannon for an arm- there is a difference between throwing a bomb and a 30 yard rope.

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Because he doesn’t have a cannon for an arm- there is a difference between throwing a bomb and a 30 yard rope.

He does throw a 30 yard rope. That's what I'm saying. And we've seen him throw a deep out from the far hash. He does it effortlessly.

Arm strength is the least of worries with Rudolph.

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

He does throw a 30 yard rope. That's what I'm saying. And we've seen him throw a deep out from the far hash. He does it effortlessly.

Arm strength is the least of worries with Rudolph.

I just wish he had s little more zip on his passes

based on that highlight video (and nothing more) I like that he has a couple different speeds on his throws (fast ball and a touch throw) and seems to be strong in the pocket with a touch of mobility....but I don't really like his accuracy all that much, especially on deep out routes and go routes.  Like I've read in this thread, that seems to be more attributed to foot work which can be adjusted...but it's still a cause for concern to me.  He's a ball of clay, far from a finished product...put him in the right system with the right coach in his ear and it could work....would still prefer to have a vet bridge for a year or two... I think he has more potential than Peterman at this point, he could fill that clipboard role as an upgrade, at least

11 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Maybe. But as others have stated, do you remember some of the Ducks Peyton would throw? 

I'm sorry, I refuse to compare a guy that has yet to play a snap in the NFL to Peyton Manning, one of the greatest QBs of all time.  He was the king of anticipation, Rudolph is not in the same breath as his skill set in that area.  He's not good in either category in my opinion.  I've watched too many games to count of his over his career and have not been impressed by his arm.  Doesn't mean it can't improve with better footwork and other things but right now, he's not as good as many seem to think by simply looking at his numbers.  He went absent in big games too many times, his footwork was garbage most of the time, he doesn't have a strong arm and his accuracy was questionable in almost every game against a decent defense.  I watched him against Texas, Oklahoma and TCU and he was horrible.  Missed throws that were point blank wide open, footwork was poor, his pocket awareness seemed to disappear, his lack of arm strength was evident and hurt him in those matchups.  Again, I'm not one to blindly look at the stats.  I watched his games and came away unimpressed a lot of the time.  He did well against bad teams but when he played against a decent defense, he was questionable at best.  I can't imagine what he'd look like against an SEC defense.  Doesn't mean he can't get better but he has a long long way to go.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

I'm sorry, I refuse to compare a guy that has yet to play a snap in the NFL to Peyton Manning, one of the greatest QBs of all time.  He was the king of anticipation, Rudolph is not in the same breath as his skill set in that area.  He's not good in either category in my opinion.  I've watched too many games to count of his over his career and have not been impressed by his arm.  Doesn't mean it can't improve with better footwork and other things but right now, he's not as good as many seem to think by simply looking at his numbers.  He went absent in big games too many times, his footwork was garbage most of the time, he doesn't have a strong arm and his accuracy was questionable in almost every game against a decent defense.  I watched him against Texas, Oklahoma and TCU and he was horrible.  Missed throws that were point blank wide open, footwork was poor, his pocket awareness seemed to disappear, his lack of arm strength was evident and hurt him in those matchups.  Again, I'm not one to blindly look at the stats.  I watched his games and came away unimpressed a lot of the time.  He did well against bad teams but when he played against a decent defense, he was questionable at best.  I can't imagine what he'd look like against an SEC defense.  Doesn't mean he can't get better but he has a long long way to go.

Im not comparing. Or st least I didn’t mean to. All I’m saying is that there’s actually a decent amount of quarterbacks who don’t have the biggest or strongest arms but yet are very good quarterbacks. 

I understand your hesitations and doubt in the guy. I just don’t see how people can say that about Rudolph, yet act like Mayfield has been playing against the SEC. he had a solid game against Georgia, a great defense, but one game is a pretty small sample size. 

4 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Im not comparing. Or st least I didn’t mean to. All I’m saying is that there’s actually a decent amount of quarterbacks who don’t have the biggest or strongest arms but yet are very good quarterbacks. 

I understand your hesitations and doubt in the guy. I just don’t see how people can say that about Rudolph, yet act like Mayfield has been playing against the SEC. he had a solid game against Georgia, a great defense, but one game is a pretty small sample size. 

Like I said, Peyton was the King of anticipation.  Rudolph has a long long way to go in that area.  Also, I didn't say anything about Mayfield.  I have my doubts with him too but at least he showed up for big games,  Rudolph did not.

Edited by Buffalo30

To my uneducated eye, he looked pretty good the few times I've seen him.  Opinions around the world of draft fanatics vary widely.  I get the impression he might not have the strongest arm of any of the prospects, and he may be something of a project, but the latter is probably true of almost every prospect.  At this point in time I don't have a firm opinion about any QB in the draft.  If the Bills think he's worth drafting and pull the trigger on him, I'm OK with it.  We'll just have to see how it turns out.

• Like (+1) 1

The guy can definitely pass, but his pocket presence worries me. He doesn't climb up into the pocket which leads him to take some bad sacks. He also seems to throw an inordinate amount of INTs to DL for the same reason.

That said, he's got good accuracy and a great deep ball. To me he's a high ceiling project QB.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.