Do we all hate Mason Rudolph ?

Teddy KGB

On 1/10/2018 at 3:06 PM, ddaryl said:

the more I research different opionons on Rudolph there seems to be a huge concern in his abiltity to read a defense. He locks on to the 1st target often.. anbd/or misses wide open options that are right in front of him when its not his 1st read option

I think this is the kind of thing Beane meant when he said it was early in the process, they need to talk to the guys, find out how they think, etc.

IIRC there were similar pre-draft concerns about Dak Prescott and when the Cowboys talked to him, they decided he really did have a grasp of the game at the NFL level

Hopefully Daboll is spending his days and nights picking film apart

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

Gunner,  Don't fall into the stereotyping trap with Lamar Jackson.

I'm not. I'm falling into the have watched him trap.  Jackson has great upside and there is reason to believe he might still be improving, but if he never improves as a passer from what he is today then he can't play Quarterback at the NFL level.  And when you are there on a guy you can't have a first round grade on him.  He is a low second round pick by my grades.  He will go higher than that and I wouldn't hate the Bills taking a shot at 21 if my top 4 QBs are gone.  But he needs a full redshirt season and yes, I do think Mason Rudolph will be a better pro.  

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not. I'm falling into the have watched him trap.  Jackson has great upside and there is reason to believe he might still be improving, but if he never improves as a passer from what he is today then he can't play Quarterback at the NFL level.  And when you are there on a guy you can't have a first round grade on him.  He is a low second round pick by my grades.  He will go higher than that and I wouldn't hate the Bills taking a shot at 21 if my top 4 QBs are gone.  But he needs a full redshirt season and yes, I do think Mason Rudolph will be a better pro.  

With respect to the highlighted area I never said that he didn't need a redshirt year, or an extended apprenticeship. I also never said double mortgage the house for him although I am willing to go into debt for Mayfield or Darnold. 

When you enter the draft you can't have a hardened plan because you don't know how it will unfold. Teams that you never expected to move up make the jump. Teams that you believed would go in one direction go in the opposite direction. I see Jackson as a reasonable option at a lower slot if the draft scenario doesn't work out as we want it to do. Where I am taking a firm stand is that I believe that it is past over-do to get one of this year's crop of qb prospects on board. Let's not make perfect be the enemy of the good. If option A isn't there then go for option B, if option B isn't there then go for option C, etc., etc

As a player Jackson is better today than he was yesterday. The gamble is whether that upward trajectory continues in the pro game. My bet is yes while understandably  others are less confident about him. If I'm going to gamble I willing to do it for a player with raw talent who pairs it with a desire to get better. I'm putting my chips on the table for him.

As I stated on many occasions I'm open to many options. My resolute position is that we need to get a high end prospect in this year's draft. I will not waiver on that issue. 

• 2 weeks later...

From what little I saw of him in college, I like him.  As with most of the college QB prospects, opinions in the media are all over the place.  As with all the prospects, there are areas where growth and development need to take place.   I think Rosen, Darnold, and Allen are going to experience some growing pains too.  I would be fine with Buffalo drafting him if the think he's the best guy they can get where they are picking to upgrade the Bills' quarterbacking.

Intentional Scouting Episode Four: Mason Rudolph

During his time as a 3-year starter for the Cowboys, Rudolph was one of the more dynamic down-field throwers in the country amassing over 13,000 career passing yards. Add in a stellar 4:1 touchdown to interception ratio for his career and you can see why NFL teams are doing their homework on the 6’5, 230-pound signal caller.

In his latest mock draft, Trapasso had the Bills selecting Rudolph with the 21st overall pick and suggested the Bills might stay put and get a guy that, “checks all the boxes.”

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/intentional-scouting-episode-four-mason-rudolph

Edited by ALF

I think Rudolph has a chance to be a solid NFL qb. He has ideal size, good accuracy, anticipation, leadership and smarts. Watching him in interviews it is very easy to envision Rudolph as the face of a franchise (think Peyton Manning-that's how good he can be as a face of the franchise). In all likelihood, Rudolph will be the best candidate in the interview process and may win over some teams as a result. 

So what is the problem with Rudolph and why is he not going to be drafted at the top of the first round. (1)There are obvious questions about the style of offense he played in at OKS and how that will translate to the NFL. (2) There are also questions about Rudolph being surrounded by talented wrs that have made him look better than he really is in college. But I think the real issues that teams will have concerns with will be (3) Limited mobility and (4) Average arm talent.

As far as mobility goes, Rudolph is a classic drop back passer in the mold of a Matt Ryan and Matt Schaub type. It does not mean he cannot succeed but he will be limited in terms of escaping pressure and extending plays. Most young qbs coming into the league can extend plays (Prescott, Wentz, Luck, Wilson, Mahommes, Watson, etc.). The more mobile and elusive qbs can buy time and make things happen when things break down or when they miss a read (as many young qbs will do). Again, more stationary qbs can make it but they have to have a better o-line and they will have to be on point as far as making decisive reads and throwing with anticipation (this is a tall order to ask of a young qb who needs time to learn). 

The arm talent scares me as much or more than the mobility issue. There are so many qbs that look great passing the ball in college but just do not have the arm talent to succeed at the NFL level. There is a huge difference in the NFL as the windows are so small and the dbs are so fast jumping routes. If a qb does not have the ability to deliver an out route at the NFL level, it will be a problem (pick sixes are going to happen). Does Rudolph have enough of an NFL arm? He has the ability to throw a deep ball but there tends to be a lot of air under his deep ball. This can be a problem when playing in windy conditions and  against safeties who have much greater range. I'm not sold on his arm talent as far as throwing to the sidelines. There is not a lot of zip on the ball from what I have seen of Rudolph when throwing to the sidelines. That concerns me. Can it be improved, to a certain degree there can be some improvement. But qbs can either let it rip or they can't. I would have liked to have seen Rudolph play at the Senior Bowl. Throwing next to other NFL prospects would give us a better idea of how his arm stacks up with the other prospects. The NFL combine will be important for him. Limited mobility and arm talent is what is holding Rudolph back more than anything else. Look no further than last year and Patrick Mahomes. He played in an air raid offense but he also had a cannon for an arm and better mobility. Because of his talent he shot up the boards and was taken at pick 10. 

Edited by racketmaster
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.