Do we all hate Mason Rudolph ?

Teddy KGB

Here's my thing.  How are you grading a QB?  Here's quite a few Rudolph games, what criteria is being used to grade him?

Snaps vs TCU : 

vs Colorado 2016

vs Texas Tech

vs OU

vs Va Tech

vs Iowa State

vs Tulsa

vs Baylor

vs West Virginia

Edited by NewEraBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEraBills said:

Here's my thing.  How are you grading a QB?  Here's quite a few Rudolph games, what criteria is being used to grade him?

Snaps vs TCU : 

vs West Virginia

....interesting that Beane personally scouted him twice, first at the WVU game and then in the bowl game............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I'm pretty sure they like his frame.  Probably also like Allen's frame.  They both have Cam Newtonesque frames.  Allen has Newtonesque zip on his passes.  Rudolph hasn't shown that type of zip.  Not sure 

16 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....interesting that Beane personally scouted him twice, first at the WVU game and then in the bowl game............

The one thing I will say after watching a couple of those is that on fly routes the WR does not have to be open for Rudolph to throw it when it is 1 v 1.  I like that.  He takes the 1 v 1 because he trusts Washington to win it.  He doesn't hesitate and is not timid in pulling the trigger on that (TT was timid all season on these).  But there are some things I'm seeing that, ehhh, needs some refinement.  He's not always consistent in his mechanics, which probably makes some of his throws look kinda weak.  He doesn't always step into his throws.  In any case I want to watch more.

Edited by NewEraBills

1 minute ago, NewEraBills said:

I'm pretty sure they like his frame.  Probably also like Allen's frame.  They both have Cam Newtonesque frames.  Allen has Newtonesque zip on his passes.  Rudolph hasn't shown that type of zip.  Not sure 

The one thing I will say after watching a couple of those is that on fly routes the WR does not have to be open for Rudolph to throw it when it is 1 v 1.  I like that.  He takes the 1 v 1 because he trusts Washington to win it.  He doesn't hesitate and is not timid in pulling the trigger on that (TT was timid all season on these).  But there are some things I'm seeing that, ehhh, needs some refinement.  He's not always consistent in his mechanics, which probably makes some of his throws look kinda weak.  He doesn't always step into his throws.  In any case I want to watch more.

....I have not seen him play nor do I get to see college ball, so your assessment is greatly appreciated....from what I've read, he will probably be there at 21 or 22 when Buffalo picks and may be the safe (yet unsexy) pick.....but it allows this gang to preserve draft capital for OL/DL or DL/OL whichever is the order of preference.......and they also have FA dollars to spend....makes a helluva lot more sense to me than the Cousins conjecture.......

I don't hate him at all...I think he's got some real nice things to work with, and some things he certainly needs work on...

It's been my opinion for a while now that Rudolph is the Bills guy...It's a lot of connecting dots...But I think he's the guy they want...I really do...B-)

Bills are going to love his intangibles but he has bust written all over him.

He just doesn't think quick enough for me.  Lacks pocket awareness and his accuracy is not good in tight spaces.  In the beginning of the year he looked good, but as the season went on and teams game planned for him, he just didn't cut it for my liking.

Like someone stated earlier, his WRs were a huge help.  Think of Mike Evans and Johnny Manziel.

He play on the field doesn't pass the eye test to me.

Edited by Ittakestime

Guys, I have s gut feeling we are going to draft Rudolph...and here’s why:

first off off let me just say I’m not sure how I feel about this- but I might have to start getting used to the idea...

1- Darnold and Rosen gone

2- Mayfield will be drafted by either The Broncos, Jets, or Cardinals- as good as he is I just can’t see the Bills trading MAJOR asserts to move up for a guy that may be perceived to have “character” issues by the team...not to mention he does not have elite size or arm strength (just saying what the Bills might be thinking).

3- this leaves Jackson, Allen, and Rudolph...of the 3, Rudolph is the only senior, plus he has elite size (even though he doesn’t have elite arm strength). McD’s entire 2016 draft were seniors...he loves experience.

4- Rudolph is also a Christian with excellent character on and off the field...rumor has it he is also loved by his team mates.

Therefore, as of 1/16/18 I predict the Bills draft Rudolph...and I am so so with how I feel about this, mainly because Sal had a broadcaster on his show from OSU who said Rudolph’s biggest weakness is accuracy...ugh

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Guys, I have s gut feeling we are going to draft Rudolph...and here’s why:

first off off let me just say I’m not sure how I feel about this- but I might have to start getting used to the idea...

1- Darnold and Rosen gone

2- Mayfield will be drafted by either The Broncos, Jets, or Cardinals- as good as he is I just can’t see the Bills trading MAJOR asserts to move up for a guy that may be perceived to have “character” issues by the team...not to mention he does not have elite size or arm strength (just saying what the Bills might be thinking).

3- this leaves Jackson, Allen, and Rudolph...of the 3, Rudolph is the only senior, plus he has elite size (even though he doesn’t have elite arm strength). McD’s entire 2016 draft were seniors...he loves experience.

4- Rudolph is also a Christian with excellent character on and off the field...rumor has it he is also loved by his team mates.

Therefore, as of 1/16/18 I predict the Bills draft Rudolph...and I am so so with how I feel about this, mainly because Sal had a broadcaster on his show from OSU who said Rudolph’s biggest weakness is accuracy...ugh

The dots are connecting a lot like the Daboll dots were. I think fans will be severely disappointed. Baker is worth the assets to move up

• Like (+1) 2

I can see Rudolph being one of the steals of the draft a year or two down the road.

I would rather have him than Allen who has bust written all over him imo. 55% passing the last two years in an extremely subpar conf, unrecruited out of high school. Average performance in a below average conf, another winner of the prototype award, the hype will build at the combine. Meanwhile Rudolph is 6'5 235 and has accomplished so much more, I hope he continues to be in the 2nd tier because I don't want the Bills to give away much draft capital. Too many needs and I don t see a sure thing.Go get Smith and Gabriel, and draft Rudolph or someone, to learn. Smith was top notch many times this year and lack of D and conservative O with the lead did them in imo. Beef up the lines and lbs. With a new qb and offense, better lines and lbs, more depth, I think the Bills will continue getting better.

Edited by Turk71

Please no Rudolph!  If I checked out the college forums more I would’ve been post #2.  Just have a bad feeling about him.  I feel like if Trent Edwards, Bryce Petty and Landry Jones had a baby and it was Mason Rudolph.  And one helluva story to tell,   That being said, I believe he’s going to be the pick.  The other 5 QBs will be off the board and he’s the consolation. Ugh.  I’d rather wait and pick up a qb in rd 2-3 as that’s what I see Rudolph as.  Trade down and stockpile picks or trade up for Rosen or Darnold.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Please no Rudolph!  If I checked out the college forums more I would’ve been post #2.  Just have a bad feeling about him.  I feel like if Trent Edwards, Bryce Petty and Landry Jones had a baby and it was Mason Rudolph.  And one helluva story to tell,   That being said, I believe he’s going to be the pick.  The other 5 QBs will be off the board and he’s the consolation. Ugh.  I’d rather wait and pick up a qb in rd 2-3 as that’s what I see Rudolph as.  Trade down and stockpile picks or trade up for Rosen or Darnold.

This will test how smart McBeane really is

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, wppete said:

I think this may hurt him a bit. Teams want to see what he looks like in a pro style offense in practice and in the game. This will still be an unknown and might hurt his stock a bit. 

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

This will test how smart McBeane really is

100%. How McBeane handles this quarterback search will truly define their regime. That's why I don't think they will draft a mid tier guy, I think they will do everything they can to get up to the top 2. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have him on that 1st/2nd round borderline.  Worth repeating again that he is asked to throw the football down the field more than any of the other Quarterbacks at the top of this draft class.  His is a relatively simple offense conceptually and has a small playbook and teams will want to probe his ability to grasp more complex concepts but this is about as far removed from the gimmicky bubble screen and YAC offense as you can find.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have him on that 1st/2nd round borderline.  Worth repeating again that he is asked to throw the football down the field more than any of the other Quarterbacks at the top of this draft class.  His is a relatively simple offense conceptually and has a small playbook and teams will want to probe his ability to grasp more complex concepts but this is about as far removed from the gimmicky bubble screen and YAC offense as you can find.  

If you get a chance go back and watch the Oklahoma vs OKState game. Rudolph was very good while Mayfield was stunningly dynamic. I'm not bothered by the fact that a qb plays a gimmicky offense. If the qb is accurate, has a good arm, has good pocket presence and can go through simplified progressions then there is a good chance that his college game will translate to the pro game. 

Although I am still very open-minded about the qbs my concern about Rudolph is that he is a Matt Schaub type qb. If I'm going to make a mistake on a qb I would rather it be for the qb with upside over a qb that is facelessly bland. Gunner, if you put more jalapeno pepper in your sauce you will get a bigger jolt! Sometimes those tears from intense heat can turn into tears of joy. Don't be fearful---be bold or go home. :D

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

If you get a chance go back and watch the Oklahoma vs OKState game. Rudolph was very good while Mayfield was stunningly dynamic. I'm not bothered by the fact that a qb plays a gimmicky offense. If the qb is accurate, has a good arm, has good pocket presence and can go through simplified progressions then there is a good chance that his college game will translate to the pro game. 

Although I am still very open-minded about the qbs my concern about Rudolph is that he is a Matt Schaub type qb. If I'm going to make a mistake on a qb I would rather it be for the qb with upside over a qb that is facelessly bland. Gunner, if you put more jalapeno pepper in your sauce you will get a bigger jolt! Sometimes those tears from intense heat can turn into tears of joy. Don't be fearful---be bold or go home. :D

I watched that game. I have Mayfield higher than Rudolph. I think for three and a half quarters the two Quarterbacks were equal but in the clutch Mayfield outplayed him and that always matters in my evaluations. Rudolph does have a worrying tendency to play small in big moments. 

It is Jackson I disagree with you on.... not Mayfield. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I watched that game. I have Mayfield higher than Rudolph. I think for three and a half quarters the two Quarterbacks were equal but in the clutch Mayfield outplayed him and that always matters in my evaluations. Rudolph does have a worrying tendency to play small in big moments. 

It is Jackson I disagree with you on.... not Mayfield.

Gunner,  Don't fall into the stereotyping trap with Lamar Jackson. Without a doubt he is more of an unfinished product than some of the other qbs in this draft. His game went from being mostly an athletic qb two years ago to being more of qb. Don't be fooled by the stats. The leap in playing a more polished game this year was a quantum leap forward. While you are hesitant to go  to the betting window I'm racing up to the window with my money..  

I'm confident this isn't a Tyrod situation where Tyrod was Tyrod from beginning to end with little progression. Lamar is a talent and a devoted student of the game who wants to be great. If you want give me some money and I'll place a bet on your behalf. I'll only take a small cut as a service charge. :D

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.