Do we all hate Mason Rudolph ?

Teddy KGB

I like him, and I think the organization does too.

He’s improved every year.

He’s completed over 62% of his passes every season except as a true freshman (3 games and was around 57%).

He doesn’t have a rocket arm, but has enough to make every throw, and is accurate downfield. 

He has has a good throwing motion, and quick release, things that help with accuracy and are more difficult to change than footwork.

Most of his innacurate throws can be blamed on bad footwork. With simple changes here he can be a better player.

He can’t be blamed for the system he plays in. He played great in that system. If he’s smart enough (which I think he is), he’ll be able to adjust and learn a new system (although I would say to let him sit for at least half a season). 

He has good pocket presence, knows when to step up in the pocket.

To me I think he’ll be the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the draft.

Darnold has great intangibles but has small hands that will lead to more fumble issues, a wonky throwing motion, which leads to a slow release. I personally put a lot of emphasis on a Quarterbacks release time. If they get rid of it quick they’ll be more likely to succeed (ball reaches its point faster, less chance of taking sacks, etc.)

Mayfield has the height issues, and doesn’t make enough throws inside the pocket in my opinion. A lot of his stuff is roll outs and the type of stuff they tried to use here in the past with Tyrod. He’s going to get pressured to much on the edge in the NFL versus college. Also if Rudolph gets ripped for playing in a spread, Mayfield also plays in a spread, so what’s the difference. Also Mayfield has one of the best offensive lines in college football and doesn’t deal with a lot of pressure in his face. This doesn’t touch on his off-field issues (the arrest) or potential for on-field issues (crotch grabbing at Kansas, flag spiking at Ohio st., and “throat slice gesture”, before eventually losing to Georgia). 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Dkollidas said:

I like him, and I think the organization does too.

He’s improved every year.

He’s completed over 62% of his passes every season except as a true freshman (3 games and was around 57%).

He doesn’t have a rocket arm, but has enough to make every throw, and is accurate downfield. 

He has has a good throwing motion, and quick release, things that help with accuracy and are more difficult to change than footwork.

Most of his innacurate throws can be blamed on bad footwork. With simple changes here he can be a better player.

He can’t be blamed for the system he plays in. He played great in that system. If he’s smart enough (which I think he is), he’ll be able to adjust and learn a new system (although I would say to let him sit for at least half a season). 

He has good pocket presence, knows when to step up in the pocket.

To me I think he’ll be the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the draft.

Darnold has great intangibles but has small hands that will lead to more fumble issues, a wonky throwing motion, which leads to a slow release. I personally put a lot of emphasis on a Quarterbacks release time. If they get rid of it quick they’ll be more likely to succeed (ball reaches its point faster, less chance of taking sacks, etc.)

Mayfield has the height issues, and doesn’t make enough throws inside the pocket in my opinion. A lot of his stuff is roll outs and the type of stuff they tried to use here in the past with Tyrod. He’s going to get pressured to much on the edge in the NFL versus college. Also if Rudolph gets ripped for playing in a spread, Mayfield also plays in a spread, so what’s the difference. Also Mayfield has one of the best offensive lines in college football and doesn’t deal with a lot of pressure in his face. This doesn’t touch on his off-field issues (the arrest) or potential for on-field issues (crotch grabbing at Kansas, flag spiking at Ohio st., and “throat slice gesture”, before eventually losing to Georgia). 

Completely agree, I think he would be a match made in heaven for the WCO with the way he goes through his reads, steps up in the pocket and touch to complete down field throws.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

At this point he's my realistic choice, with Rosen being the only QB I'd be willing to bet the farm on. I wouldn't be surprised if he won the job in camp either, depending on who else we bring in.

You’d bet the farm on Rosen? I just see a nice looking truck with a really shotty engine. Rosen would scare the balls off of me.

I wouldn’t bet the farm on any of the QB’s coming out this year. 

I would have to research more via scouting reports and chats (yes I am simply a fan who takes in what he can and forms a fan opinion) ... I was originally under the perception he would go before us but Now I'm thinking he wil be there possibly into the 2nd rd.. Its going to come down to his arm strength showcase at pro days and combine iMO

I wouldn't be moving up to grab him, but I do think we could be looking at him with one of our 1st rd picks

Edited by ddaryl

29 minutes ago, simool said:

He has a lot of potential and looks really good on film, my problem is coming from the Big 12 what is he going to look like when there is an actual defense on the field?

He had a slow start, but recovered well against my Hokies who have a very respectable Defense, primarily because of their secondary. I came away from the bowl game impressed.

11 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

He had a slow start, but recovered well against my Hokies who have a very respectable Defense, primarily because of their secondary. I came away from the bowl game impressed.

First of all.  Hokies fan, I am really sorry about that. Hopefully you can either cut that off or get a pill for it. :lol:

The Hokies have a chump schedule.  They only played 3 games against ranked opponents.  Lost all three and did not lose in defensive games.  All three rang your bell I would say.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.