One of the stories of this Sunday's playoff game

This sunday's Bills playoff game features two of the league's top running offenses: Jacksonville's #1 ranked run offense and Bills' 7th ranked run offense. Key to the game starts with running the ball successfully and stopping the other team's running game with equal success. 

So it is interesting that this is where the much hated (to the Bills fan) Marcel Dareus becomes an interesting character in this 22-man game. You see, Marcel Dareus, a long tenured Bills defensive lineman was traded just prior to week 8 of the NFL season to the Jacksonville Jaguars. 

Bills Rush Defense was at one time #1 in the league for several weeks early in the season. For weeks 1-7 it ranked #4 at the time of trading Marcel Dareus. This has dropped to 29th by the end of the season. Jacksonville was ranked 30th at the time of the trade. It ends the season ranked higher than Buffalo at 21st rush defense.

In weeks 8-17, the period after the trade, Bills rushing Defense ranked 31st in the league, or 2nd worst in the league giving up a total of 1,487 yards and 4.66 Y/A. Prior to the trade from weeks 1-7 Bills gave up only 507 rushing yards. In other words, Bills defense has given up 3x as many yards without Dareus as with him in the lineup.

Jacksonville on the other hand was 30th in the league in stopping the run without Dareus. That has improved to 7th best unit in the league with Dareus in their line up.

Bills and Shady McCoy with 7th ranked run offense will meet Jacksonville and Marcel Dareus' 7th ranked rush D on Sunday in the wild card playoff game. On the other side of the ball Jacksonville's #1 ranked rush offense will host the Bills' 31st ranked rush defense (since trade).

This story line will likely dominate the game's narrative and outcome given the make-up of these two teams. He whose name shall not be spoken will have an impact that out-sizes his girth.

13 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

No doubt that is true, other major theme is Blake Bortles, he can either be a hero or total goat.

Both teams are going to try and force the other QB to throw, unfortunately, I think there is a big advantage to Jax.

Completely agree.  Even more unfortunate is that I have little to no confidence in Dennison's ability to design a gameplan to counter the obviously superior Jax D-line. 

Imo, the only chance we have today is if our secondary continues to take the ball away and TT is able to get outside and actually complete a few throws in tight coverage. 

Rico has been saving it for the playoffs. No one will be ready for his dynamic game plan. Boo Yah!

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

So, a thread about Marcel Dareus, and our run D immediately tries to turn into another TT bashing thread.

I think I will just have to avoid this site, altogether, today...

Love your avatar!

30 minutes ago, JTown said:

Completely agree.  Even more unfortunate is that I have little to no confidence in Dennison's ability to design a gameplan to counter the obviously superior Jax D-line. 

Imo, the only chance we have today is if our secondary continues to take the ball away and TT is able to get outside and actually complete a few throws in tight coverage. 

Yeah I hope TT can get outside the pocket. I mean Dennison DID have designed roll-outs for Siemian last year in Denver. Have we seen it this year?  

24 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

So, a thread about Marcel Dareus, and our run D immediately tries to turn into another TT bashing thread.

I think I will just have to avoid this site, altogether, today...

Let's face it, this was a miscalculation on the part of Beane. He didn't understand our defensive scheme enough and traded away a guy with his huge contract because he didn't want to have to pay a guy he didn't draft.  

And I know there's been TONS AND TONS OF DENIAL by Bills fans that Dareus didn't mean JACK to this team. Yet our 2nd round picks and FA acquisitions haven't been able to fill his shoes. It's the same coaches, same 11 guys in defense save Dareus, why aren't they doing the job now?  The denial is unreal. You are in denial.

I love McDermott, but if he can't admit to this failure, and fixes it, we're not going to get better.

A good leader and a secure man, recognizes, and can admit to mistakes. Then he goes about fixing it. This will also be a proving point for McDermott going forward.

So the Bills and the coaching staff have a big challenge for them in an hour's time. They know whom they're facing. They know who their team is. It's time to meet the challenge. Analyze and scheme better to deal with who you are facing. Great coaching can over come any weaknesses and attack the opponent's weaknesses. Let Sunday be the proving ground for what we have in our coaches.

I'm excited that Bills are in the playoffs. I cried when they made it. We got room to improve. Coaching can mask our weaknesses. I hope our coaches are up to task for it.

Edited by CanadianFan

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

No doubt that is true, other major theme is Blake Bortles, he can either be a hero or total goat.

Both teams are going to try and force the other QB to throw, unfortunately, I think there is a big advantage to Jax.

The team whose quarterback is forced to throw the most in this game is going to be in trouble. If we can force Bortles to throw a ton we have a great advantage. I'm concerned Shady might only be 80-90%. All I ask is compete today boys.

33 minutes ago, CanadianFan said:

Let's face it, this was a miscalculation on the part of Beane. He didn't understand our defensive scheme enough and traded away a guy with his huge contract because he didn't want to have to pay a guy he didn't draft.  

And I know there's been TONS AND TONS OF DENIAL by Bills fans that Dareus didn't mean JACK to this team. Yet our 2nd round picks and FA acquisitions haven't been able to fill his shoes. It's the same coaches, same 11 guys in defense save Dareus, why aren't they doing the job now?  The denial is unreal. You are in denial.

I love McDermott, but if he can't admit to this failure, and fixes it, we're not going to get better.

A good leader and a secure man, recognizes, and can admit to mistakes. Then he goes about fixing it. This will also be a proving point for McDermott going forward.

I agree with this. There were many head-scratching moments this season regarding personnel. I think the Dareus trade was less controversial than some of the others, but this is a game where he will be missed. But as far as his impact in this game-  he isn’t a starter. I’m not sure I would put their improvements solely on his shoulders.