Crazy EJ Gaines stat

4 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You just said that all the starters in the secondary are better than him. Which I agree with, we can sign a FA or draft a guy. He is replaceable.

Using this 8-3 stat is lunacy. If you think they went 1-4 in the other games because he didn't play, I don't know what the hell you are watching. 

He's been good, I'm fine with keeping him, but he isn't nearly as critical piece to this team as the 8-3 stat makes him look.

Ditto.  His replacement(s) haven't been all that bad and we don't lose games just because he doesn't play.  I hope we keep him but I'd rather spend free agency $$$$ on a stud DT or pass rushing LB. 

Edited by MyDogLuvsPB
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ganesh said:

The problem is we have committed big dollars to the Safeties..It will be hard to pay 3 of the 4 starting DB FA money.  We need to shore up our DT (and taht will be two if Kyle retires) and 2 of the 3 LBs and a Pass Rusher.  I think the Bills will go tot he Draft to get a CB in the 2nd round. 

We got Poyer very cheap, and Hyde has a manageable deal. At the price mentioned, it would definitely be affordable

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ganesh said:

The problem is we have committed big dollars to the Safeties..It will be hard to pay 3 of the 4 starting DB FA money.  We need to shore up our DT (and taht will be two if Kyle retires) and 2 of the 3 LBs and a Pass Rusher.  I think the Bills will go tot he Draft to get a CB in the 2nd round. 

Even if you pay Gaines in the 8-10m range, I’d guess we likely have at worst average money locked up in the secondary, maybe less than average. 

That would be below average cb1 dollars, a rookie deal at cb2...

Hyde is 18th on the safety list and poyers like 40th (so middle of the pack)

i dont know where gaines ends up landing on the pay scale but we have some space before it becomes questionable to invest in the secondary 

9 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

the kids got to stay healthy and he's worth a long term deal 4 yrs 22m

4-22?  3 for 22 if we’re lucky.  I’m thinking more like 4-30 could get it done if he wants to be a Bill.  Will probably get more on the open market.  A few weeks ago it seemed to be a tough decision to give an injury prone player 8+ mill per year.  After his play over the course of the season, I’d say it’s a no brainer.  He’s been really good.  Just need to make sure our CB depth is better than this year.  

I'd like to see the Bills re-sign Gaines.  The price, however, is going to go way up.  Even though it's preferable to keep a player who is a known quantity, it's always possible the Bills could find another player, either in the draft or free agency who is the equal of Gaines or even better.  GMs always have to keep sight of the big picture when making personnel decisions and avoid player myopia (focussing in on a single player as a "must have").

6 hours ago, Pbomb said:

A luck stat? You mean that he plays good and helps the defense out incredibly. The only luck is bad luck that he keeps getting hurt. I didnt think it was possible for soneone to think wright is better 

So give a player a huge contract that has basically played in one season in the past 2?  I personally prefer a player like White that plays every single week. then one that has been injured 15 times since coming into the league. The luck/coincidence stat is us being 8-3 when he is in the game. The bad luck stat (injuries) you refer to is not luck of any kind when it's happened 15 times in a 3 year career. 

For me it's a pass. Draft a replacement or snag a reliable one in FA. 

10 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

How bout find a replacement in the draft that isn't injury prone? He not worth the contract based off a luck stat when he is out all the damn time.

I honestly like Wright better

The Bills always do that though. It's the vicious cycle of letting good players go and then drafting the same position.

I hope they can sign Gaines personally. I know he is injury prone, but the guy can flat out play

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

The Bills always do that though. It's the vicious cycle of letting good players go and then drafting the same position.

I hope they can sign Gaines personally. I know he is injury prone, but the guy can flat out play

Worked out great letting Gilmore walk and drafting White, wouldn't you say?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

The only DB that left and went on to have a great career was Winfield.  Clements, Byrd etc had a so-so careers post Bills.

As I wrote, Gaines is going to be a tough signing...they have committed alreayd significant dollars to Poyer and Hyde

12 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

I did not see that stat, but it is pretty obvious watching the games. Even though I fell Hyde, Poyer, Tre, and Kyle are all better players, Gaines is the puzzle piece we can't live without. I would like to see him re-signed and draft a corner somewhere in the 3rd-5th for when he misses games. Shareece Wright is a disaster.

We could draft a replacement potentially...Gaines just can't seem to stay on the field regularly...at least twice he has been hurt from making standard run support tackles...

29 minutes ago, Doc said:

Worked out great letting Gilmore walk and drafting White, wouldn't you say?

Only if White stays in Buffalo. If he goes in 3 years we will be spending another 1st on a corner, and spending a 1st round pick on a corner every 4 years forces you to neglect other positions. 

But yes, White is much better yhan Gilmore imo... Though Gilmire always has his body in the right place, White plays the ball better and is not allergic to tackling. Not to mention his exuberance which is infectious. Gilmore is a flatline.