Gruden to get 10 year/$100M Contract

7 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Despite all of that, Gruden is still the best head coach the Raiders have had ever since they moved back to Oakland.

Since Gruden was fired from the Raiders in 2002, the Raiders head coaches have been: Bill Callahan, Norv Turner, Art Shell redux, Lane Kiffin, Tom Cable,  Hue Jackson, Dennis Allen, Tony Sparano & Jack Del Rio. JUST WIN, BABY!

I don’t think he was fired.  I think Oakland traded him to Tampa. Then Tampa beat Oakland in the Super Bowl.

9 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Absolutely. Even if the Raiders win a Super Bowl under Gruden(and I don't think they do)...it's not going to end well. 

It will become the Mario William contract to them. Even if he's good he won't live up to the contract.

Who cares how much they pay him. It doesnt count vs the cap. It doesnt impact the roster. This is nothing like the Mario Williams contract. Its the owner’s money. Not the fans’. 

It instantly injects tons of energy to a franchise with tons of talent. 

Edited by bobobonators

1 minute ago, bobobonators said:

Who cares how much they pay him. It doesnt count vs the cap. It doesnt impact the roster. This is nothing like the Mario Williams contract.

The Raiders don't have tons of talent.  They actually don't have much.

1 minute ago, bobobonators said:

Who cares how much they pay him. It doesnt count vs the cap. It doesnt impact the roster. This is nothing like the Mario Williams contract.

Not referring anything about the cap. Talking simple economics about returns on an investment. That really is all coaches and players are...investments. Energy is awesome...for about the first 3 games. This world we live in has an attention span about as long as a tweet. 

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Raiders don't have tons of talent.  They actually don't have much.

They went 12-4 last year with numerous all pros by accident. They lost Musgrave. That hurt a lot. Del Rio’s time there ran its course. Carr broke his back. Perfect storm for a bad season. 

I 100% agree that Gruden isn't worth this money, but I don't agree with the assertion that a coach isn't worth $10M a year, or even $20M a year.

I'd pay Belichick $20M.  He's worth that kind of cash.

Edited by sullim4

4 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Not referring anything about the cap. Talking simple economics about returns on an investment. That really is all coaches and players are...investments. Energy is awesome...for about the first 3 games. This world we live in has an attention span about as long as a tweet. 

Who cares as a fan how much the owner is willing to pay a coach for his services. Are you Davis’ financial planner? Are you going to talk financial planning with Davis? Whats a good return on investment for a HC?

If Davis wanted Gruden, Gruden’s salary has absolutely no impact on the product on the field. Zero. 

Edited by bobobonators

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

What is with super wealthy folks having the worst hair ever? Maybe nobody ever said to Mark Davis "bro, you look like an fat 9 year old". If I had a buddy with hair like that, I would be a good enough friend to tell him he looks rediculous.

It's bro code. You see a thong, car crash, etc you point it out to your buddy, same goes with when he's got a giant booger hanging out of his nose or a freakin rediculous haircut that looks more like a boardwalk caricature.

11 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Who cares as a fan how much the owner is willing to pay a coach for his services. Are you Davis’ financial planner? Are you going to talk financial planning with Davis? Whats a good return on investment for a HC?

If Davis wanted Gruden, Gruden’s salary has absolutely no impact on the product on the field. Zero. 

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this board was used to share thoughts and opinions. And silly me, being fooled by the topic thought that the contract was part of the discussion. 

And again, you have no clue what I am talking about. Last response you bring up salary cap...now we are down to impact on field. Neither of which was what I was talking about. Next I suppose you will discuss how many hot dogs the vendors sell, or where parking attendants like to grab a beer after the game?  

24 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

They went 12-4 last year with numerous all pros by accident. They lost Musgrave. That hurt a lot. Del Rio’s time there ran its course. Carr broke his back. Perfect storm for a bad season. 

Between first and second team, they had 2 all pros... You're really using numerous their to make it seem like they have talent loaded all over the roster. They had a couple all pro's would be more accurate, oh yea, and their punter, but who cares.

They also went 9-2 in games decided by one possession. 

They are fools gold.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

6 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Exactly. We like to act like amateur GMs, commenting on personnel moves. This signing or that extension will come back to haunt them because it will suck up too much money under the cap, etc. But signing a coach, or GM for that matter, is purely about how an owner decides to spend his money. Was buying the Bills the optimal use of Pegula's spare billion? The Sabres?  Wouldn't he have been better off sticking that money in a Vanguard index fund? (it would have almost doubled in value by now).  Wouldn't the Pegulas be better off not paying Doug Marrone for coaching for someone else, then paying Rex Ryan for not coaching for anyone this year?  In other words, the same old "what a dumb move" logic doesn't apply to this kind of decision. It's Mark Davis's money ...

On 1/5/2018 at 5:47 PM, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Not insinuating anything. Straight up saying it. You pay a coach 100 million dollars you better get some damn good results. 1 Super Bowl...not even close to a good return on the investment.  Especially if he leaves the Raiders in the same situation the Bucs have been in for the last decade.

As a Bills fan this just floors me.