ESPN Replay of Bills vs Titans 1999

TFBillsfan

Was in my late 20’s when this game occurred so rewatching it really made me question a few  things regarding the controversial ending.

1. Why did Wade elect to kick the FG with 20 seconds remaining when it was first down? I know they were out of timeouts but a Peerless Price had just gotten out of bounds for a first down.

2. They could of ran one or two more plays and gotten closer leaving just a few seconds to kick the FG. No time would of remained the game if              they chose this path.

3. Surprised they didnt kick it deep and the coverage during that play was atrocious.

Sad seeing a game end this way as it seems it all could of been avoided. Wade was a good coach but this one has to haunt him with his decision making the last 20 seconds.

Running more time off was questioned at the time as well but without a TO they didn't have full control of the clock.......and even if one second was left on the clock after the FG and they still kick off and potentially get MCM'd.

I am glad they replayed that,  hopefully some of the revisionists got a peek at what transpired that game.

The Bills had gotten surprisingly good OT play that year and in an unexpected twist both starting OT's(John Fina and Robert Hicks) were sidelined and replaced by backup guards Marcus Spriggs and Dusty Ziegler.    As a result the Titans pass rush just totally teed off on an undermanned OL that lacked any kind of pass blocker on the outsides. 

They got it together offensively in the second half and should have won the game.  Defensively they destroyed Steve McNair.   He looked great the rest of the playoffs but he was powerless against that Bills D.  Rob Johnson was far from awful in that game.........he made some big time throws and lead them to victory.

Had they won that game they likely face Indy and Jax and they were much deeper, more physical and more talented than those teams..........that Bills team should have had homefield advantage in the first place but unfortunately Flutie was simply awful in two inexcusable home losses against bad, non-playoff teams NY Giants and Raiders.   The Jags had a great record that year but they had an epically easy schedule.......the Titans were better than them.........they proved it.    The Bills were better than the Titans.

Should've been Bills/Rams in that SB.    That was no ordinary wildcard team, one of the more loaded teams in Bills history.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

with 20 seconds to go they could have run a draw play and spiked the ball with about 3 seconds to go.  That would have done it, no throw back.

Agree. 20 seconds is an eternity in the NFL. With it being first down they could of ran a quick pass or run and then spiked the ball as you suggested. Ballgame over.