Keep the picks or just get a QB?

Virgil

There will not be 5 QBs in the top 10. My guess is Rosen goes #1, Darnold goes top 5 (the Giants are in play at #2 but are not a lock to go QB). 

There is a chance a 3rd Quarterback goes in the top 10 - most likely to the Jets at 6. I think the Broncos are going to go hard for Cousins or Manning in FA that is a vet team that still thinks it is in win now mode. It's not but it thinks it is. Do the Jets like Mayfield enough to pick him at 6? Maybe they are one of the teams who like Josh Allen?

Now I do see a trade up in play for the Bills.... but not into the top 10. I see them in a Houston style trade up into the teens. That is much more affordable and much more the range where they might still be in play for a Rudolph, Allen or Mayfield. Personally I hope its not Allen but I expect 2 of those 3 to be available outside the top 10. Washington at 13 and Arizona at 15 are the next teams likely to be big players in the QB market. 

Darnold & Rosen aren’t ‘McBeane Types’, if last years Draft was any indication. All our picks were 4 year starters, team captains and conference recognition plaudits. The deck is stacked against underclass QB’s delivering Pro Bowl seasons in the  Bigs. I think they’re not going to be on the Bills Board, which is fine as their likely early selections push ‘our guys’ closer to our picks. 

I have no idea who ‘our guys’ are, but we have great Draft capital and some big holes to fill roster-wide. I hope we don’t mess with our Draft bank.

58 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Darnold & Rosen aren’t ‘McBeane Types’, if last years Draft was any indication. All our picks were 4 year starters, team captains and conference recognition plaudits. The deck is stacked against underclass QB’s delivering Pro Bowl seasons in the  Bigs. I think they’re not going to be on the Bills Board, which is fine as their likely early selections push ‘our guys’ closer to our picks. 

I have no idea who ‘our guys’ are, but we have great Draft capital and some big holes to fill roster-wide. I hope we don’t mess with our Draft bank.

Mason Rudolph is a senior, he has been a 3 year starter, he has improved year on year, has been a team captain in 2016 and 2017 and he plays from the pocket in the way Beane has described.  Maybe Beane and Gaines were at the Camping Bowl by coincidence...... but I think the white smoke at this stage suggests that Mason Rudolph is very much in play for the Bills in April.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Now I do see a trade up in play for the Bills.... but not into the top 10. I see them in a Houston style trade up into the teens. That is much more affordable and much more the range where they might still be in play for a Rudolph, Allen or Mayfield. Personally I hope its not Allen but I expect 2 of those 3 to be available outside the top 10. Washington at 13 and Arizona at 15 are the next teams likely to be big players in the QB market. 

Further to this... the Houston trade last year from #25 to #12 cost them just their 2018 1st rounder.  Pick #12 by the trade chart is worth 1,200 points.  Pick 21 (if the Bills were to lose this weekend) is worth 800 points.  Pick #32 is worth 590 points so even if the Chiefs won the Superbowl (they won't) that would seem purely by the chart to be a price the Bills can afford without digging into their two seconds and their other picks later on.  

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

Don’t underestimate teams trading up. 

In your top 10 right now you have the Browns, Giants, and Jets.  They could and should all go QB. Thankfully the 49ers are set now. 

But don’t discount the Redskins, Cardinals, or Cardinals trading up. 

Everyone is going to want their guy and at least 4 of them could the top ranked player on a teams board.  

I think it’s going to be a frenzy with the most trades we’ve seen so far. The Colts, Browns, and 49ers could all be looking to trade back and get picks. 

Or the Cardinals.  They could trade up too.

they need the picks.  if them and/or the chiefs were lower in the standings i could be enticed to trade up.  not now.  

i would go with alex smith maybe to bridge another year (or tyrod)... and if they still see some potential in peterman, or if their scouts have identified an off the radar qb that has the mental goods... they can have on the shelf for a year or 2 to season.  

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills have a plan and need to wait and see how things shake out. Several good FA's may be available and I think that is their preferred course as well as drafting a QB if one falls into their lap that they like. I don't think anyone can say for sure at this point.

• Like (+1) 2

GET THE QB AT ALL COSTS. 

I’m sick of the Bills spending their time trying to concoct ways to win without a QB rather than spending their time trying to figure out how to get a QB. 

Im excited. There are stellar options this year. Cousins, Keemun, and the Draft all present solid options. 

We can bundle picks and trade way up though I warn you it will have to look something like this; both firsts, both seconds, and a first or second from 2019 to pull that ascent off. We could also hold fast with both of our firsts for somebody like Mason Rudolph who fits “the process” to a t. 

• Like (+1) 1

Get a Vet QB in FA and let the chips fall where they may in the draft.

If there is a guy Beane likes when the Bills pick then pull the trigger.

I don`t think trading up is a good move when this team needs so much and has the picks to get better quickly.

Unless they strike gold in FA and fill all the needs then lets go get a top dog.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Mason Rudolph is a senior, he has been a 3 year starter, he has improved year on year, has been a team captain in 2016 and 2017 and he plays from the pocket in the way Beane has described.  Maybe Beane and Gaines were at the Camping Bowl by coincidence...... but I think the white smoke at this stage suggests that Mason Rudolph is very much in play for the Bills in April.

love it.  great post.  but his arm is weak and he plays in an Air Raid system.    those guys don't make it in the pros.  Keep the picks, go get a veteran like Cousins.  Pay for a guy you know can play.  

Edited by 8-8 Forever?

4 minutes ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

love it.  great post.   Keep the picks, don't trade up, get Rudolph at 22?

You mean 32, right? :)

Seriously though I think the Bills ideal will be the draft coming to them on QBs..... but if there is an early run on QBs I think they will be willing to give up the 2nd first rounder to trade up into the teens.  I suspect they don't want to use their extra 2nd or their later picks to do it though.  

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

Given the topic, this seems to bare repeating (from another thread):

Just food for thought, here is Matt Miller's synopsis regarding Rudolph:

Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State

Senior | 6'4", 235 lbs | No. 41 overall prospect

"The lone senior on this list, Mason Rudolph has incredible numbers operating in Mike Gundy's wide-open Oklahoma State scheme. He carried a Day 3 grade into the season but has shown improved accuracy, decision-making and pocket presence. He also has the most experience of all the quarterbacks listed here. If you follow Bill Parcells' quarterback rules, you'll love Mason Rudolph. Of Parcells' four rules, Rudolph checks the box on all of them. You know who follows Parcells' rules? Tom Coughlin. Rudolph is the type of smart, accurate quarterback the Jaguars need to balance out a great run game and dominant defense."

Also consider, as someone mentioned his lack of accuracy, he has completion % of 62.3% as a Sophmore, 63.4% as a Junior, and 65% as a Senior. He's gone up each year by a percentage point while throwing 21, 28, and 35 TDs respectively. Also his INTs have virtually remained unchanged, at 9,4, & 9... while his yards have also gone up, from 3,770 to 4,091, and this year as a Senior 4,553. He's improved over 800 yards in three seasons, kept his INTs the same, while increasing his TDs by 14. I don't know what kind of NFL Rudolph will be, but IMHO, in a WCO that has a lot to do with timing and giving receivers ability to do YAC, he seems like a good prospect. 

Edit: He also won the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

YOU GO AND  GET THE QB. Every year we keep having this convo "If we only had a QB."

Look at all the teams that win and win big - THEY ALL HAVE A  TOP FLIGHT QB. ALL OF THEM. 

We need a top flight QB to be a superbowl contender. Period.

4 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Mason Rudolph in the 2nd round, move up to 33-34 and take him there or potentially trade one of our 1sts for an early 2nd and multiple draft picks. He is projected as a 2nd-3rd round pick, probably won't go in the 1st but it's possible he moves up after the Senior Bowl and Combine.

I’ve seen mocks with him going in the top 15. Don’t underestimate the panic that kicks in when the 3 of the top 5 are drafted. 

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

This is why I think Mayfield is the guy.  Wasn’t there a report about us heavily scouting him? 

And we definitely need to trade up to get him

• Like (+1) 2