What is there to do in Jacksonville?

CBD

Greetings,

Non Trolling Jags season ticket holder (by way of Boston)chiming in. For those staying close to the stadium, Downtown Jax is pretty weak but the Urban neighborhoods around downtown are pretty cool for  breweries,Bars and restaurants. Riverside (just west of DT) more for bars/casual dining and a younger crowd, and San Marco just south of DT(across the river)  has a very nice small town center and is more upscale dining / cocktail bars but does have a cool brewery in AArdwolf.

There is not much near the stadium but Intuition Ale Works is an excellent brewery and has good food as well. Note, An upscale steakhouse just opened up DT after a massive renovation of an old bank--Cowford Chophouse and also has a great roof top bar with nice views .It is across from the Hyatt which is the large hotel relatively close to the stadium.Mortons is in the Hyatt but if going expensive, I recommend Cowford.

If you prefer to stay near the beach, there is a nice town center that is split between Atlantic Beach/Neptune Beach that has a decent amount of Bars( including the referenced Pete's) and restaurants.

• Thank you (+1) 3

Well, you can go to the Metro Diner or Clark's Fish Camp to eat.  I really advise you to go grab a bite to eat at Clark's.  Budwieser has a plant there and they give tours.  Oh and the Gentleman's club is across the street from the Bud plant.  

4 hours ago, Augie said:

Beware, yes it’s Florida but highs in the 40’s on Saturday and a bit warmer Sunday. 

My son spent a couple years at UNF. There are some very nice parts of Jacksonville......and then there are the other parts. Like most places I guess, but I occasionally wandered into places I wished I hadn’t before I knew what had happened. 

Agree-  most cities have good and bad. I think thats why it is a smart move as a tourist to stick to an area like the Landing etc... thats friendly and a good experience.

TI_a4IZk_normal.jpg Red Pinto Tailgate (@PintoTailgate)
JACKSONVILLE INVASION:

Jacksonville Invasion 

Saturday Night Party (7pm - close)

Wing It
11018 Old St Augustine Rd
Jacksonville, FL

**Same game day menu and beer specials***

Sunday Tailgate (9am)

LOT X (Cash/Parking Pass Lot)

Bring your own food and drink of choice. pic.twitter.com/kpk8ywIqjY

Also Wing it allows pre order of wings to be licked up as early as 730am Sunday if you need tailgate food

Edited by MAJBobby

11 hours ago, Carey Bender said:

Headed to Jacksonville for the game, does anyone have any experience with Bars, Restaurants or any other fun things to do in the city?

J'ville isn't Florida..you don't get a tropical feel there.The food is terrible,good luck trying to find good Italian or polish food.Lots of Marines visit to raise some hell..it's a easy travel. St. Augustine is unique..cool architecture from the Spanish..no beach..no solid pizza/wing joints worth a mention...it ain't  Miami.

2 hours ago, JaxPatriot said:

Greetings,

Non Trolling Jags season ticket holder (by way of Boston)chiming in. For those staying close to the stadium, Downtown Jax is pretty weak but the Urban neighborhoods around downtown are pretty cool for  breweries,Bars and restaurants. Riverside (just west of DT) more for bars/casual dining and a younger crowd, and San Marco just south of DT(across the river)  has a very nice small town center and is more upscale dining / cocktail bars but does have a cool brewery in AArdwolf.

There is not much near the stadium but Intuition Ale Works is an excellent brewery and has good food as well. Note, An upscale steakhouse just opened up DT after a massive renovation of an old bank--Cowford Chophouse and also has a great roof top bar with nice views .It is across from the Hyatt which is the large hotel relatively close to the stadium.Mortons is in the Hyatt but if going expensive, I recommend Cowford.

If you prefer to stay near the beach, there is a nice town center that is split between Atlantic Beach/Neptune Beach that has a decent amount of Bars( including the referenced Pete's) and restaurants.

yeah, yeah.......that's fine.

Marcell. Hate him yet?

10 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

J'ville isn't Florida..you don't get a tropical feel there.The food is terrible,good luck trying to find good Italian or polish food.Lots of Marines visit to raise some hell..it's a easy travel. St. Augustine is unique..cool architecture from the Spanish..no beach..no solid pizza/wing joints worth a mention...it ain't  Miami.

LOL.....WUT!? Been here 22 years now. Basically everything you wrote is a crock of cow dung. Love the "no beach" claim. I'm literally LMAO.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

LOL.....WUT!? Been here 22 years now. Basically everything you wrote is a crock of cow dung. Love the "no beach" claim. I'm literally LMAO.

Nah..it is what is.Did you go to the beach today? Sure..there is a beach but after mid October ,roll up the carpet.

13 hours ago, JaxPatriot said:

Greetings,

Thank you very much for this response. If there's anything else worth checking out please let us know.

Any good spots for breakfast? I'm considering bringing subs or some sort of takeout for the tailgate, any good places or ideas for that? 

Edited by Carey Bender

11 hours ago, John in Jax said:

But you cant get good Polish!!!!

Cracks me up when Buffalonians travel and they want to find a good wing place..WTF, thats why you are traveling, try something new and try something that that locale is great d

I was in Jacksonville years ago and i'll tell ya that if you wander off the beaten path, there are some pretty scary areas around town.

Stick to the main streets and you'll be fine..........unless you're looking for crack, looking to become someones temporary "date", suicidal, etc, then by all means, wander the glorious filth that Jacksonville has to offer.

I have been asked to provide some more details so here it goes. Keep in mind, Jax is huge so I will be keeping it close to the DT area.

Breakfast:

DT is empty on the weekend so will need to venture a little outside of hotel offerings. For a variey of good/ closest/easiest option, I would recommend go  south over the river (Main St bridge) and follow 13(becomes Hendricks ave) and within about two miles you will get:

BB's (higher end brunch Sat only, obscene desserts)

Panera (for people who like chains)

Good Dough ( crazy good homemade doughnuts, local coffee)

Bold Bean (local coffee/pastries)

and in the San Marco Town Center:

Beach Diner ( classic breakfast)

Taverna ( higher end brunch)

Rue St Marc ( higher end brunch, Sat only)

Maple Street Biscuit Company ( Sat only but if you like biscuits,a must)

Metro Diner is about a mile further and is a famous JAX offering but recently sold out and went corporate but still good.