What is there to do in Jacksonville?

CBD

Moved to Jax in 1995, the same year they got the Jags.  Never forget the first time I went to a sports bar to watch a Bills/Phish game, and virtually no one in the bar had on any Phish swag, but when the Phish scored, virtually the whole bar started hooting & hollering and jumping up & down....and they were wearing Jags gear. LOL Yeah, they were still diehard Phish and/or Buccaneer fans.

Ok, so like others have noted, it's going to be cold down here this week (highs on Fri & Sat only in the 40s/Sunday high of 60, tailgating at 9 am will be around 40 degrees, 70 on Monday though if you're still here)...they're saying it's the coldest week here in about the last 10 years...so "normal" Florida things like going to the beach, playing golf, going out on a boat for pleasure and/or fishing....will be curtailed. Although Canadians (we get a TON of Canuck visitors down here) & Northeastern thick-skinners don't seem to be bothered by the cold temps. We spent last Saturday & Sunday in an oceanfront hotel in Daytona Beach, and the temps were in the 50s, and there was still some people in their skimpy bathing suits going in the pools & in the ocean.....LOL

Like some others have noted, if you've never been to St. Augustine, it's an interesting place to visit. If any of you saw the special on Spanish history last week on PBS, you'd know that St. Augustine is one of the most historic cities in this country, and many historians think that the first Thanksgiving was there, and not in VA. Be advised though that the place has become very popular, and is usually crowded/congested EVERY weekend of the year now.  If you're up for it, climbing up to the top of the lighthouse is worthwhile. Just an an FYI, the Alligator Farm is basically across the street from the lighthouse.  St. Augustine beach is fun to visit (we spent our Honeymoon there), but again, it's going to be cold. The Sunset Grille is a very good place to eat in SA Beach. Not too far up the road from the lighthouse is the Conch House, it's right on the water (also a marina there), and is also a good place to eat (kinda pricey though).  As mentioned by someone else, walking up & down St. George Street is required if you do go to SA (it's pedestrians only)

The Landing in downtown Jax has never really become what they have envisioned, but if you're down there, you might as well check it out.

A single friend told me that some of the strip clubs are full nudity (no alcohol served) and some are partial nudity (alcohol served). He said that The Doll House on Philips Hwy (about a mile north of where Butler Blvd dead ends into Philips Hwy) is one of the full nude places, and is enjoyable. ;-)

There is a zoo-like place very near the airport called the Catty Shack Ranch. They have full-size lions, tigers, and other big cats. It's $10 to get in, and this week they are open: Thursday at 1pm, and both Friday & Saturday nights at 6pm for "Night time Feeding." I have been there a handful of times, and you get to see these animals at a closer range than you would in a regular zoo....just don't get them angry, not sure how strong the chain-link fences are. LOL Check out their website at cattyshack.org.

The "bad" parts of Jax are the west side, and the north side, and the northwest side.  I don't see any reason why any of you will be going to those areas of town, but who knows. 

3 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

The "bad" parts of Jax are the west side, and the north side, and the northwest side.  I don't see any reason why any of you will be going to those areas of town, but who knows. 

WRT your last paragraph, isn't Wing It up on the north side?

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

WRT your last paragraph, isn't Wing It up on the north side?

No, not at all. Wing It is in an area of town known as Mandarin, which is almost directly south of downtown. It's about 14 miles directly south of the stadium, as the crow flies; 18 miles by road.

ETA: OK, so the "new" location of Wing It is up near the airport, technically on the north side, but THAT LOCATION IS NOT THE ONE WE GO TO! Please NOTE this.

Edited by John in Jax

1 minute ago, John in Jax said:

No, not at all. Wing It is in an area of town known as Mandarin, which is almost directly south of downtown. It's about 14 miles directly south of the stadium, as the crow flies; 18 miles by road.

Ah, ok. They have a second location, or something, that comes up on Google. Thanks!

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

You can go to the stadium dressed up like an empty seat!  From what I can tell that's a really popular thing to do in Jacksonville.

LOL....Everybody loves a winner, and now that they are winning, the stadium has been near capacity every week. Hell, they even pulled off the tarps to free up 3500 more seats!

But to be honest, in my watching of a lot of games this year, I saw A LOT of empty seats in A LOT of NFL stadiums.

4 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

LOL....Everybody loves a winner, and now that they are winning, the stadium has been near capacity every week. Hell, they even pulled off the tarps to free up 3500 more seats!

But to be honest, in my watching of a lot of games this year, I saw A LOT of empty seats in A LOT of NFL stadiums.

That's true, but most of those cities don't cover entire sections with tarps!

• Like (+1) 1

When I was stationed in Pensacola me and a few friends made the quick trek to J-Ville for a Bills game. It was a fantastic experience. We stayed at the Omni at the Landing. The Landing is on the St Johns River and has plenty to do- Bars, restaurants, etc etc.

There was a water taxi that comes to the Landing and takes fans right to the stadium. I dont know if thats an option now but it was super cool- drinks were allowed. Once at the stadium, there was a nice outside area that had beer/food and a band playing- again, alot of fun.

On a side note, at the Omni I met Paul McGuire, Joe Theisman, and Suzy Kolber- all were super nice!

Hope this helps- Go Bills!