Enough's enough - This team went 9-7......

57 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And yes the 18 year curse was lifted.  

The Bills won the tie-breakers and we're in the playoffs with the best possible first round opponent (something I predicted btw).

The point is (and I keep repeating) is that this is pretty much the same records as 2014-2016, so quit thinking this coaching staff & HO turned water into wine.

What it did do was create such low expectations that some consider it a miracle.

What was miraculous was winning 6 games where the opposition had the ball at the end of the game with a chance to win & the Bills winning each and every time.  

I am as excited as anyone that they are in the playoffs and planning my Sunday, but I am not getting ahead of myself and anointing this coaching staff as an all time great.

However I am a fan and don't get stuck on the minutiae wrt to drafts, schemes and philosophy.

It is quite simple for us fans.  If a team is 8-8 for 3 seasons in a row, you look at it and say 2 more wins and you're in the playoffs.  I look at the skill positions and how they are utilized (and yes was pissed at Watkins, the trade and not targeting him enough).  I thought better coaching and tweaks to properly utilize Taylor and we'd see a huge improvement.

On the defensive side, it did not take much to see that they were undisciplined, took way too many penalties, and disorganized under Rex, which could be fixed easily to the point they would be competent.

So as said I will be here and cheering Sunday & hopefully beyond & will leave shortly thereafter while you argue about the draft, personnel moves & free agency.

I will return when Sammy signs and when a decision is made on Tyrod.

Again would we fans be so excited if they went 8-8, or 8-7-1 (as McDermott tried vs. Indy) and no playoffs.  

It is the Playoffs that has created this euphoria, not a record that matches those the prior 3 years......

Flame away!!!!!

The difference is they did all this while ridding themselves of talented malcontents from the previous regime who did not fit in with what they were building and stockpiled draftpicks in the process. To the point some people and the media said we were tanking.

Those seasons they were adding pieces and acquiring talent...nobody ever thought they were tanking...this is a point you conveniently overlook.

Edited by matter2003

Did anyone notice that the refs seemed be helping us out for a change? They were killing Miami. Also in the Bengals game, they seemed to helping the cats along on that last drive. I'm a little suspicious....

Many of us believed that there was plenty of talent on this team the last couple of seasons but the coaching held us back. This season, our new coach took that talent, got rid of some of what we considered out "top" players, and got enough out of them to make the play-offs for the first time in 17 years.

If nothing else, this should get us all excited for the future and wanting to see what this staff will do when they have a couple of seasons to get things where they want them and start moving forward. Not the right time to complain in my opinion. We never were going to become an NFL powerhouse in just one season, but it feels damn good to be heading in the right direction.

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Interesting stat is that the Bills had the 12th easiest schedule, but Baltimore, Tennessee and LAC all were easier, and that was the second tie-breaker.  

A big thank you to Cleveland for being so bad and NYJ for not being as bad...... 

what does this matter?

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Interesting stat is that the Bills had the 12th easiest schedule, but Baltimore, Tennessee and LAC all were easier, and that was the second tie-breaker.  

A big thank you to Cleveland for being so bad and NYJ for not being as bad...... 

I'm confused. Which grumpy old man in the balcony are you again? I'm betting it's Waldorf.

37 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

I was expecting 5 wins and ended up getting a pretty damned entertaining season.

Are you not entertained?

I predicted 9-7 and a wildcard berth.

Can someone dig up the Season Prediction thread?

46 minutes ago, Virgil said:

If it was so easy, why didn’t it happen in the past 17 years?  

If it’s luck this year that 9-7 made it, were we always just really that unlucky?  Is luck the deciding factor?

Yes, we were 9-7, but we were a better 9-7 than two other teams.  We won games we normally lost. 

I’m sorry, but I’m not buying what you’re selling. This was a special season and we saw glimpses of it at times.  We aren’t great...yet. 

Atlanta and Kansas City are the 2 games the Bills of old would lose. Or if all else succeeded the last Dolphins game. Nothing flukey about it IMO. Winning close games is what good teams do.

Brave maybe, but really bad take OP.

This staff did it with HALF the roster of the previous 3 seasons.

And without the benefit of Brady not playing in a game.

And with Peterman literally throwing away a game vs. the Chargers.

And with a tougher schedule.

McD AND McD staff >>>>>> Rex/Marrone and their staffs

8 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
  2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in conference games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Worst 

EVER

Why don't you take a little time to watch the mood of the fans and the players when they finally made it. I don't give a rats XXX if they don't have a shot once in the playoffs, I care about what Andy Dalton's TD throw did to the team and the city of Buffalo alike. That moment is exactly why we are all such die-hards and will be until the end...no matter what.

1 minute ago, teef said:

what does this matter?

Again I was posting an interesting fact.  The tie-breaker that got the Bills in was Strength of Schedule.  If I'm correct 4 teams were tied.....

1. Head to head (didn't all play each other so moot).

2. Conference (8-4 Tenn, 7-5 Balt & Buff, 6-6 LAC).

3. SOS (Buffalo was better then the other three all of whom played Cleveland).

So yes Cleveland sunk Baltimore & would have too Tenn & LAC.......