Enough's enough - This team went 9-7......

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again I was posting an interesting fact.  The tie-breaker that got the Bills in was Strength of Schedule.  If I'm correct 4 teams were tied.....

1. Head to head (didn't all play each other so moot).

2. Conference (8-4 Tenn, 7-5 Balt & Buff, 6-6 LAC).

3. SOS (Buffalo was better then the other three all of whom played Cleveland).

So yes Cleveland sunk Baltimore & would have too Tenn & LAC.......

ok.  so what?

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again I was posting an interesting fact.  The tie-breaker that got the Bills in was Strength of Schedule.  If I'm correct 4 teams were tied.....

1. Head to head (didn't all play each other so moot).

2. Conference (8-4 Tenn, 7-5 Balt & Buff, 6-6 LAC).

3. SOS (Buffalo was better then the other three all of whom played Cleveland).

So yes Cleveland sunk Baltimore & would have too Tenn & LAC.......

As 26 posted....you're wrong.

You weren't just posting an interesting fact...you were finding a negative again because we traded Sammy Watkins.

7 minutes ago, flmike said:

Did anyone notice that the refs seemed be helping us out for a change? They were killing Miami. Also in the Bengals game, they seemed to helping the cats along on that last drive. I'm a little suspicious....

Well, if you are a conspiracy theorist it makes sense. The Bills are certainly a better feel-good NFL story than the alternatives this year ....

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Well, if you are a conspiracy theorist it makes sense. The Bills are certainly a better feel-good NFL story than the alternatives this year ....

I'm not, but it seemed weird. I think they were trying diffuse the issue from last week!

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

But that doesn't help us.

He was probably still butthurt.  Just saying a lot of calls were going our way that usually don't. Maybe the NFL has forgiven us for those SB losses.

Not going to beat up on the OP too much.

He clearly suffers from a form of Bills Fan Syndrome, which is similar to Stockholm Syndrome. That is, so much has gone wrong these last 17 years that it is almost impossible to see anything that happens for this team in a positive light.

Heck, many of us are probably still in denial:

1. Were the Bills really able to hold on for dear life after Miami recovered that on sides kick?

2. Did Dalton really throw that TD pass with about 40 seconds to go?

3. Was the Cinci defense really able to prevent Flacco and the Ravens from answering back?

4. Were the tie-breaker scenarios for all the 9-7 teams correct to REALLY allow the Bills to get in?

Yeah whatever... we all get it.....

But this staff and players as flawed as they are, somehow found that elusive nut, that others could not for almost 18 years.

They have to get some credit.

Edited by cba fan

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And yes the 18 year curse was lifted.  

The Bills won the tie-breakers and we're in the playoffs with the best possible first round opponent (something I predicted btw).

The point is (and I keep repeating) is that this is pretty much the same records as 2014-2016, so quit thinking this coaching staff & HO turned water into wine.

What it did do was create such low expectations that some consider it a miracle.

What was miraculous was winning 6 games where the opposition had the ball at the end of the game with a chance to win & the Bills winning each and every time.  

I am as excited as anyone that they are in the playoffs and planning my Sunday, but I am not getting ahead of myself and anointing this coaching staff as an all time great.

However I am a fan and don't get stuck on the minutiae wrt to drafts, schemes and philosophy.

It is quite simple for us fans.  If a team is 8-8 for 3 seasons in a row, you look at it and say 2 more wins and you're in the playoffs.  I look at the skill positions and how they are utilized (and yes was pissed at Watkins, the trade and not targeting him enough).  I thought better coaching and tweaks to properly utilize Taylor and we'd see a huge improvement.

On the defensive side, it did not take much to see that they were undisciplined, took way too many penalties, and disorganized under Rex, which could be fixed easily to the point they would be competent.

So as said I will be here and cheering Sunday & hopefully beyond & will leave shortly thereafter while you argue about the draft, personnel moves & free agency.

I will return when Sammy signs and when a decision is made on Tyrod.

Again would we fans be so excited if they went 8-8, or 8-7-1 (as McDermott tried vs. Indy) and no playoffs.  

It is the Playoffs that has created this euphoria, not a record that matches those the prior 3 years......

Flame away!!!!!

Does happiness make you sad?

31 minutes ago, Virgil said:

If it was so easy, why didn’t it happen in the past 17 years?  

If it’s luck this year that 9-7 made it, were we always just really that unlucky?  Is luck the deciding factor?

Yes, we were 9-7, but we were a better 9-7 than two other teams.  We won games we normally lost. 

I’m sorry, but I’m not buying what you’re selling. This was a special season and we saw glimpses of it at times.  We aren’t great...yet. 

There is an element of luck (good), just as there was an element of luck (bad) that with the same record in 2014 and a better D, we were #4 of 4 teams tied at 9-7 who also didn't get in.  The best teams that year, were not quite as good (12-4, 11-5 instead of 13-3) meaning there was more competition in the middle.  I felt, in 2014, we were a better team - more competent on offense than this year, and seriously good on D.  And we were paying for it, too, handsomely on the DL.  We had an open window then, and by hiring Rex and trying to re-make the D in his image, we wasted it especially after the 2015 spending spree on offense (Clay, McCoy etc) left us in a bad cap position and some of our top-paid Big Men started phoning it in.

This year, a lot of the higher-paid (or desiring to be higher-paid) talent got shipped out of town and the team (for the most part) is younger and seems grittier.  We seem, overall, to be doing "more with less".  So we seem to be in a better position to build on this year's success.  There are things to concern one - some coaching decisions, some personnel decisions.  I still feel we're playing checkers against the Belichick*** chess. 

But hopefully, our young coach and GM will learn from their mistakes and develop along with the level of talent on the team.  May it be a start!

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And yes the 18 year curse was lifted.  

The Bills won the tie-breakers and we're in the playoffs with the best possible first round opponent (something I predicted btw).

The point is (and I keep repeating) is that this is pretty much the same records as 2014-2016, so quit thinking this coaching staff & HO turned water into wine.

What it did do was create such low expectations that some consider it a miracle.

What was miraculous was winning 6 games where the opposition had the ball at the end of the game with a chance to win & the Bills winning each and every time.  

I am as excited as anyone that they are in the playoffs and planning my Sunday, but I am not getting ahead of myself and anointing this coaching staff as an all time great.

However I am a fan and don't get stuck on the minutiae wrt to drafts, schemes and philosophy.

It is quite simple for us fans.  If a team is 8-8 for 3 seasons in a row, you look at it and say 2 more wins and you're in the playoffs.  I look at the skill positions and how they are utilized (and yes was pissed at Watkins, the trade and not targeting him enough).  I thought better coaching and tweaks to properly utilize Taylor and we'd see a huge improvement.

On the defensive side, it did not take much to see that they were undisciplined, took way too many penalties, and disorganized under Rex, which could be fixed easily to the point they would be competent.

So as said I will be here and cheering Sunday & hopefully beyond & will leave shortly thereafter while you argue about the draft, personnel moves & free agency.

I will return when Sammy signs and when a decision is made on Tyrod.

Again would we fans be so excited if they went 8-8, or 8-7-1 (as McDermott tried vs. Indy) and no playoffs.  

It is the Playoffs that has created this euphoria, not a record that matches those the prior 3 years......

Flame away!!!!!

I agree with some of the things your saying but McD and his staff in his 1st season as HC got us to 9-7. Whether we made the playoffs or not takes nothing away from what this staff that McD assembled has accomplished. In his 1st year he identified and traded for players that would be productive in his system. McD coached up these players and had them ready to play every week, he is only going to get better as a HC. 

Once they get their QB in place and upgrade the trenches we are going to be a force again. We have the cap space and the draft picks to have a epic offseason, this team has me excited again.