Dennison - Does He Stay On As OC For 2018?

Dennison  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Keep Dennison

• He’s fine. He wasn’t /isn’t our problem.
    • He’s not worth keeping around.
    • You don’t fire a coach when you make the playoffs.
    • Give him one more year.

Just now, The Guy In Pants said:

Bills part ways with Tyrod. Draft a QB. Do you trust Dennison enough to let him work with the new QB?

I don't think Dennison is so bad he will ruin a QB in one year. Goff looked awful last year but a new coaching staff gave him a miraculous recovery. Plus we'll have a QB coach for developing the new guy, Dennison just creates the offense.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....maybe it's me, but he seems to damn inconsistent in his love/hate relationship with TT and play calling...one week he takes advantage of the kid's physical attributes and then does a 180 the following week......Taylor certainly has his inconsistencies as well..........McD keeps him although I'd rather see Whisenhutt here as OC to develop QB's....

He did fluctuate it seemed. 

4 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Denny adjusted mid way through the year.

We've had coaches who don't adjust for 2 years.

I don’t know. Adjustments are fine and all but, they should be made in order to make things better. Did he really adjust anything to put them in a better position to win? Or could he have done more? Personally, I think he could have done more even though adjustments really aren’t easy to make at the drop of a hat.

Edited by The Guy In Pants

2 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Denny adjusted mid way through the year.

We've had coaches who don't adjust for 2 years.

I definitely credit Dennison for making the run game much better about halfway through the season. He listened to the players and brought back some of Romans playbook and you could see the difference.

1 minute ago, billsredneck1 said:

this would be the reason i think why they will keep him. i believe they like the match of peterman being the qb for him and i believe nate will be our starter next year and i'm fine with that.

I still prefer them to draft another QB. Peterman had a rough day but, had some good things to show too.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think Dennison is so bad he will ruin a QB in one year. Goff looked awful last year but a new coaching staff gave him a miraculous recovery. Plus we'll have a QB coach for developing the new guy, Dennison just creates the offense.

True. Assuming Dennison wants a pocket QB and he gets one, it may not be such a hard thing to watch.

1 minute ago, The Guy In Pants said:

I still prefer them to draft another QB. Peterman had a rough day but, had some good things to show too.

True. Assuming Dennison wants a pocket QB and he gets one, it may not be such a hard thing to watch.

i'm all for drafting a qb, but i hope they don't overspend to move up. i'd prefer mayfield but i think rudolph will be there when our pick comes up. i hope they make the most of their picks.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsredneck1 said:

i'm all for drafting a qb, but i hope they don't overspend to move up. i'd prefer mayfield but i think rudolph will be there when our pick comes up. i hope they make the most of their picks.

I share that. I don’t want them to neglect other positions but at the same time, if they have a guy that they just have to have, and they need to move to do it, I’m fine with that. I have more trust for Beane and McDermott than I did for Whaley. Of course, they could mess that trust up for me if they completely blow the draft. It has to be good. If they nail it, we have a good shot at really rounding this corner and a wild card berth would be just the beginning.

I want a complete 180. Relevancy for a decade and more.

1 minute ago, Juice_32 said:

I'd probably prefer we keep him and give him another year. He's frustrating at times but other times he's pretty good.

The TD to O'Leary was a thing of beauty.

At least he was willing to abandon that coveted Bills run/run/pass mantra that we had for 4 years.

Edited by The Guy In Pants

1 minute ago, The Guy In Pants said:

I share that. I don’t want them to neglect other positions but at the same time, if they have a guy that they just have to have, and they need to move to do it, I’m fine with that. I have more trust for Beane and McDermott than I did for Whaley. Of course, they could mess that trust up for me if they completely blow the draft. It has to be good. If they nail it, we have a good shot at really rounding this corner and a wild card berth would be just the beginning.

I want a complete 180. Relevancy for a decade and more.

with even slightly better qb play ,we wouldn't have needed a miracle to get in. josh mc cown would have had us at 10-6 or better. i think next year we will challenge for the division or control a wc. i really think we are going to start a string of playoff years.

I don’t like how little he adapted “his offense” to the skill sets he had in his players. Tyrod may not be the ideal QB, but use his strengths instead of forcing the square peg into the round hole.  He tried at times, but it was a step back from prior years. 

This one is hard for me. On defense, we know we are missing pieces so there an excuse for them. 

On offense, the pieces are there in theory. So either TT, Dennison, or both need to be changed up. 

Even with a better defense, our second half scoring is terrible and you can’t rely on the defense that much. 

Just now, Augie said:

I don’t like how little he adapted “his offense” to the skill sets he had in his players. Tyrod may not be the ideal QB, but use his strengths instead of forcing the square peg into the round hole.  He tried at times, but it was a step back from prior years. 

....dead on Augie...some weeks he did and other weeks he did NOT........look at how Schwartz adapted when he came here.......seemed to work out ok, right?......check your damn ego and system at the curb....Jimbo did just that IMO....

17 minutes ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Hard to part with him as he did do “just enough”. Let’s add a situation:

Bills part ways with Tyrod. Draft a QB. Do you trust Dennison enough to let him work with the new QB?

Bluntly: no. Maybe he is better with a traditional pocket passer but unless we get Andrew Luck in the offseason there is none of those without serious question marks. 

My question is who we get.

14 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

I'd probably prefer we keep him and give him another year. He's frustrating at times but other times he's pretty good.

The TD to O'Leary was a thing of beauty.

That TD was. I am annoyed at the lack of use of Tyrod's mobility, but he goes get some nice routes. O'Leary was wide open

Peterman is a better fit for this offense than is TT.  I would consider a FA QB like Smith for 2 - 3 years, get some line help, and a # 1 WR.  Then, when it's draft time, look for a QB that is a good fit/ bargain and if there, grab him.  If not, use the picks in this draft to fill the many holes that will help to make this team competitive for years to come.  Dennison and Frazier both had challenges this year and I would like to see what they could do with players that better fit what they are trying to accomplish.  We need another draft class like the one in 2017.  

Edited by richardb1952

Kinda torn on this. On one hand he is severely handicapped because of a very flawed QB. However on the other hand when i look at his play calling i am not sure if i want to keep him. 

One things for sure i want Juan Castillo gone. And leaning toward canning Dennison and not letting him near a rookie QB

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, McNubbins said:

I think you either keep Tyrod as the starter or keep Dennison, one of them has to go.

Leaning toward both have to go. Such a HUGE negative point differential and not sure all that can be put on TT

Now that Dennison has a full year as OC, he will have a whole off season to review what worked, what didn't, and who do they want to retain, who they might want to go after in Free Agency.  The offense should be better.  Whether they can become a top 15 offense is the real question that McDermott will have to evaluate.  One thing I do know for sure, the Pegula's will do everything possible on their end to give the team anything it needs to be successful.