Dennison - Does He Stay On As OC For 2018?

Dennison  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Keep Dennison

• He’s fine. He wasn’t /isn’t our problem.
    • He’s not worth keeping around.
    • You don’t fire a coach when you make the playoffs.
    • Give him one more year.

He drives me crazy. I’d like to see him gone next year. Even though we made the playoffs, I don’t think it’s indicative of a quality offensive coordinator. 

Two problems though; who replaces him and do the players have to start all over again?

If it’s not broke, don’t fix it. I get it. But, it is broken. Even a car with a check engine light will get you to your destination, sometimes. But, at some point, you have to fix it. 

Edited by The Guy In Pants

We made the playoffs, and should continue this momentum and get better. That said Dennison needs to go. We will never find success running his style of offense. Go out and hire Bruce Arians if he is still wanting to coach. 

Or pick a QB coach from a high powered offense. Someone that can groom a future franchise QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

If the Bills decide to retain Tyrod I think they must get rid of Dennison.  They are a mismatch and Tyrod clearly can’t run Dennison’s offense.

Keep in mind, I’ve been very open about my opinion of Tyrod.  I think he needs to go.  However, I am coming to the realization that there simply may not be a viable alternative.

• Like (+1) 4

[This is an automated response]As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.Thank you.

Our new OC need to be able to develop a QB as well as call game and make in game adjustments. That Tyrod bootleg yardage lost in the 4th qtr lost me when Tolbert and Murphy were accumulating yards running right at them. I'm also not a fan of this zone blocking scheme. Want to see more man on man/power blocking schemes. 

• Like (+1) 1

We're winning despite Dennison, not because of him.  Imagine how much better the offense would be if we had and OC that would actually utilize the strengths of the players?  Regardless of what you think of Tyrod as a QB.

• Like (+1) 3

New OC, New scheme, lack of WR availability, QB that doesn't quite fit the new scheme, Line challenges with Glenn out most of year.  I think he deserves another year, but in the end McDermott will decide if this is what he wants for the long term.  With all the coaching changes that will be going n across the league, this might be a good year to hold on to what they have and strive to improve the system already in place.  It will be more interesting whether they decide to keep TT for another year or look to replace him with a FA that is more a fit for this kind of scheme.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Yeezus said:

We made the playoffs, and should continue this momentum and get better. That said Dennison needs to go. We will never find success running his style of offense. Go out and hire Bruce Arians if he is still wanting to coach. 

Or pick a QB coach from a high powered offense. Someone that can groom a future franchise QB. 

We will need someone who can work with a rookie QB. Definitely. 

48 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

If the Bills decide to retain Tyrod I think they must get rid of Dennison.  They are a mismatch and Tyrod clearly can’t run Dennison’s offense.

Keep in mind, I’ve been very open about my opinion of Tyrod.  I think he needs to go.  However, I am coming to the realization that there simply may not be a viable alternative.

I doubt a rookie QB in this class will sniff the playoffs next year, if the Bills go that route. However, as our luck is apparently changing, a rookie QB and a new OC could spell immediate success. But, I don’t think think so ? 

42 minutes ago, Magox said:

Much like Ducasse, he got this reputation that didn't align with his performance.  The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see another year of continuity to build off of this year.

Can’t argue against continuity. But, allowing a stale coach to remain, can also hinder growth.

36 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Our new OC need to be able to develop a QB as well as call game and make in game adjustments. That Tyrod bootleg yardage lost in the 4th qtr lost me when Tolbert and Murphy were accumulating yards running right at them. I'm also not a fan of this zone blocking scheme. Want to see more man on man/power blocking schemes. 

You’re right. That bootleg was after Tolbert ran through their linebacker wasn’t it?

34 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

We're winning despite Dennison, not because of him.  Imagine how much better the offense would be if we had and OC that would actually utilize the strengths of the players?  Regardless of what you think of Tyrod as a QB.

Dennison certainly got in the way. He stymies their play. Replace him, we may. Send him to go roll in the hay. Mold an OC out of clay. What do you say?

20 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

He probably isn't the best OC McD could have hired, but I'd like to see him run an offense with an accurate pocket passer, which is why I think he gets to keep his job another year and Tyrod doesn't.

Interesting take. Tyrod certainly isn't a pocket passer and Dennison didn’t adjust to that idea very well.

19 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

He probably isn't the best OC McD could have hired, but I'd like to see him run an offense with an accurate pocket passer, which is why I think he gets to keep his job another year and Tyrod doesn't.

i think this will happen as well, but i would get rid of him because of castillo, ducasse and horrible, constant inability to make second half adjustments as well as bad late game play calling.

10 minutes ago, richardb1952 said:

New OC, New scheme, lack of WR availability, QB that doesn't quite fit the new scheme, Line challenges with Glenn out most of year.  I think he deserves another year, but in the end McDermott will decide if this is what he wants for the long term.  With all the coaching changes that will be going n across the league, this might be a good year to hold on to what they have and strive to improve the system already in place.  It will be more interesting whether they decide to keep TT for another year or look to replace him with a FA that is more a fit for this kind of scheme.

Pocket passer with quick release. That’s what Dennison needs. A couple times, Peterman showed exactly that.

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm as critical of Dennison as anyone. But in a playoff season you can't fire a coordinator after one year. You just can't. I'd like to see Castillo let go and give Dennison a chance to make improvements next year.

2 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It's hard to move on from a guy when he did enough to get us in the playoffs. There are mitigating factors too with not a lot of WR talent for most of the year. With Benjamin, the offense really looked better. I would like to see him with another year, with better recievers. 

Hard to part with him as he did do “just enough”. Let’s add a situation:

Bills part ways with Tyrod. Draft a QB. Do you trust Dennison enough to let him work with the new QB?

1 hour ago, The Guy In Pants said:

He drives me crazy. I’d like to see him gone next year. Even though we made the playoffs, I don’t think it’s indicative of a quality offensive coordinator. 

Two problems though; who replaces him and do the players have to start all over again?

If it’s not broke, don’t fix it. I get it. But, it is broken. Even a car with a check engine light will get you to your destination, sometimes. But, at some point, you have to fix it. 

....maybe it's me, but he seems to damn inconsistent in his love/hate relationship with TT and play calling...one week he takes advantage of the kid's physical attributes and then does a 180 the following week......Taylor certainly has his inconsistencies as well..........McD keeps him although I'd rather see Whisenhutt here as OC to develop QB's....

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Pocket passer with quick release. That’s what Dennison needs. A couple times, Peterman showed exactly that.

this would be the reason i think why they will keep him. i believe they like the match of peterman being the qb for him and i believe nate will be our starter next year and i'm fine with that.

• Like (+1) 1