Bills vs. Dolphins Postgame - Week 17

The Bills are going to the playoffs for the first time in 18 years, and a little early morning chill wasn't going to keep Buffalo from celebrating.

With the temperature at 2 degrees in the first hours of 2018, fans gathered to sing the Bills' "Shout!'' song and chant "Let's Go Buffalo!'' as they greeted the postseason-bound Bills at Buffalo Niagara International Airport. Some 400 die-hards gathered to cheer the team that on Sunday ended the longest active postseason drought in North America's four major professional sports.

39 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

The Bills are going to the playoffs for the first time in 18 years, and a little early morning chill wasn't going to keep Buffalo from celebrating.

With the temperature at 2 degrees in the first hours of 2018, fans gathered to sing the Bills' "Shout!'' song and chant "Let's Go Buffalo!'' as they greeted the postseason-bound Bills at Buffalo Niagara International Airport. Some 400 die-hards gathered to cheer the team that on Sunday ended the longest active postseason drought in North America's four major professional sports.

I wish I could've been there.

WATCH: BILLS REACH PLAYOFFS IN DRAMATIC FASHION (3:51)
The Bills took care of business against the Miami Dolphins, and then went inside the locker room and watched as they made the playoffs for the first time in 17 seasons.

WATCH: STATS THAT STOOD OUT IN WIN OVER MIAMI (2:11)
Chris Brown and John Murphy discuss three different stats that stood out in the Bills week 17 win over the Miami Dolphins.

BILLS TODAY: BILLS PART OF A POSTSEASON RECORD

bills-today-1-1-story.jpg

Here's the Bills news of note for Jan. 1st.

EDGE Jerry Hughes, Buffalo Bills, 95.0 overall grade

The Buffalo Bills sealed a dramatic return to the postseason on Sunday, and edge defender Jerry Hughes was disruptive as a pass-rusher, despite not registering a sack. From 32 pass-rushing attempts, Hughes racked up seven hurries, good for a 16.4 pass-rushing productivity rating.

CB E.J. Gaines, Buffalo Bills, 92.0 overall grade

Despite being targeted six times in coverage, Bills cornerback E.J. Gaines had an impressive day in coverage. Allowing just four receptions for 16 yards, on 48 snaps in coverage, he finished the day having allowed just 0.33 yards per coverage snap.

Buffalo Bills 22 at Miami Dolphins 16

Bryan Knowles: The Bills need a small series of miracles to slip into the playoffs, but that all starts by beating the Dolphins. This will help if the Dolphins continue to opt not to cover Nick O'Leary, who had a good 5 yards of wide open space in the end zone for a touchdown. That, at least for the moment, moves them into the five seed. Remember, they have professional sports' longest active playoff drought; they'd be in much, much better position if it hadn't been for the Peterman Incident.

Wouldn't that just figure. The Bills, hanging on to playoff position at the moment, just watched their one true offensive star go down. LeSean McCoy was carted off the field with what has been described as an ankle injury of some sort. It would just be Buffalo's luck to make the playoffs for the first time since 1999, only to have their star miss the game.

It would also be unfortunate for all of us having to watch that game, but that's neither here nor there.

Dave Bernreuther: Kyle Williams on a fullback dive gives the Bills a commanding lead. Darqueze Dennard brings a Joe Flacco pass back to the house. Everything is coming up Buffalo! Well, except the fact that their best player got carted off the field...

I have never seen so many defensive and special teams touchdowns in such a small window of time. They're everywhere this afternoon, with a few near-misses as well. The prettiest, and one of the better shows of awareness I've seen, happened in Miami. While rumbling down the sideline, Preston Brown came to a full stop, waiting for his blockers to catch up and do their jobs, before continuing on his way to the end zone.

Coaches seem to be doing a better job convincing players to actually block downfield on plays like that these days.

And then, upon review of the fumble, Jeff Triplette announced that Brown was out of bounds when he recovered it, so it all comes back, and Brown ... did a stupid little dance and celebration on the sideline. AFTER it was announced that Miami was keeping the ball!

So I will take back what I just said about Brown's awareness, I guess. He kind of canceled that one out.

Vince Verhei: So Buffalo's in the playoffs. Does that change things for the Bills and their fans? Are they still going to go out of their way to sabotage and get rid of Tyrod Taylor for 2018?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

The most telling comment from Terry is this:

"He did a great job," Pegula said. "These guys believed in him and he never asked them to do anything he wouldn't do himself. That's the quality of a leader."

Just love this comment.  This is the foundation of the "Trusting the Process"!!!!

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

me too. it was the wrong call, because it put us in a bad position late in the game. Most coaches would know to take the points.

Teams like Pittsburgh and New England go for the two in that situation.  I liked the aggression.  We didn't make it, too bad

24 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

you didn't like it and thought it was bad. that doesn't make the call "wrong".

it's wrong because it didn't work, and it was a point that they needed on that last drive. It made no sense at the time to risk 1 easy point to get 2 more difficult points. Yes, it was the wrong decision.

37 minutes ago, klos63 said:

it's wrong because it didn't work, and it was a point that they needed on that last drive. It made no sense at the time to risk 1 easy point to get 2 more difficult points. Yes, it was the wrong decision.

whether it worked or not doesn't make it wrong or right...by that logic, it was right because they won. i think it made some sense to risk the 1 easy point for 2.

PEGULA: "THESE GUYS BELIEVE IN HIM" (4:28)
Bills' Owner Terry Pegula talks about his emotions when the team clinched a playoff birth, the players' faith in Head Coach Sean McDermott and more.

RUSS BRANDON: "AN ANVIL WE CAN THROW IN LAKE ERIE' (3:48)
Bills' Managing Partner & President talks about the significance of earning a playoff spot.