Report on Pete Carroll retirement

MAJBobby

On 12/31/2017 at 1:21 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Funny - another reporter, can’t remember who - called this a week or so ago. Didn’t report it but just predicted it as the “surprise” HC change. Thinks their window is closing and he’s not into a rebuild.

I never thought about Pete retiring, but I was just talking about their window "closing" to a friend of mine several weeks ago. It's been evident dating back to last season (no SB hangover at all). Lynch gone, O line was terrible, defense (their biggest strength) getting older, etc. They struck gold in Wilson and took full advantage while he was playing on his 3rd rounder rookie deal. Now, guys are older, banged up, and paid, and there are holes all over. They are clearly going into rebuild mode.

He's a Niners fan, which is how the conversation came up. It's going to be Rams/Niners in the west for several years. Aside from Jimmy G (he calls him Jimmy Gesus), Hyde, Shanahan, etc., their defense will soon be one of the best in the league. Front 4 is stout, and Foster is a beast. Address WR and secondary, and they're on their way.

On 2017-12-31 at 10:21 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Funny - another reporter, can’t remember who - called this a week or so ago. Didn’t report it but just predicted it as the “surprise” HC change. Thinks their window is closing and he’s not into a rebuild.

He’s also the oldest coach in the NFL. Prob just wants to take it ease.

35 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

His team is starting to fall apart.  I think their window has closed and could see him hanging them up before a full rebuild is needed.

Their window began closing with the Unger for Graham trade. It is one of the very worst NFL trades in my memory. 

But that team is beginning to come apart now and the Rams and 49ers are on the rise. 

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Their window began closing with the Unger for Graham trade. It is one of the very worst NFL trades in my memory. 

But that team is beginning to come apart now and the Rams and 49ers are on the rise. 

Yup;  that was almost as bad a decision as not giving the ball to Lynch in the Super Bowl.

That's why you run the ball in the Super Bowl.

Run it and you go back to back SB wins, which is next to impossible in today's NFL.

As great as that team was, as other worldly as they seemed, that was probably their last shot. When you are in the SB you never know if you'll ever be back, so you have to make the most of the opportunity.

Matt Ryan will never have a SB ring because Atlanta got cute instead of playing Martyball with the lead.