Matt Milano graded out among top rookie LB's

18 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Huh. I would say exactly the opposite...

IMO I thought he struggled in preseason and early in the year.

And I don't know if you remember, but at that time Humber was playing really well. It's hard to say that Milano earned the job over Humber early in the year.

I thought Milano developed as the year went on, and did very well filling in for Humber when he got injured. Then Humber came back and didn't play nearly as well as he had earlier in the year, while Milano continued to improve. So he was then given the starting job. 

I think things went exactly as they should. Why should Milano, a late round rookie, have been handed a starting job to start the year when it was pretty clear to everyone that Humber earned it? 

But when it became clear that Milano should be starting, he was named the starter. Isn't that how things should work? A rookie shouldn't just be handed a starting job he hasn't earned just because he was a draft pick of the new regime. 

So, I'd say that first, it was a great evaluation move to snag Milano late in the draft. And then I'd say it was a good evaluation/personnel move to let him develop and name him starter when he had truly earned it. 

I definitely done see this as some quesrionable move to comp,win about, that for sure... 

Agree with everything you said here. My only issue has been the subbing of Humber in random spots. Ramon looks like a clear down grade when he is in there. 

51 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Putting Zay Jones aside (who I still believe is gonna get it turned around) this was an EXTREMELY successful draft.....if Bean can work this magic next year we are cooking with fire

...agree John.......Zay will get it......and I thought Milano was a bit smallish....WRONG as usual........Beane certainly has some formidable horsepower on his staff at Pegula's expense...this gang had better perform even know the draft is not and never will be an exact science....

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

He didn't say Beane selected those players, he said if he could make the same kind of magic happen from last year's draft...i think you just assumed he meant that Beane drafted those players.

Either way, McDermott certainly had a hand in drafting those players.  Matt Milano doesn't look like a Whaley pick does it?  I believe McDermott had a large hand in that class.  Especially with the linebacker picks that scream McD type players.

Had a hand in, sure. But they were still using Whaley and Co.'s scouting reports and draft board. Whaley scouted and drafted LBs like Bradham, Alonso, Brown, and Ragland (check his play on the Chiefs), so yeah, Milano does look like a Whaley pick.

36 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Whaley's drafts were never as good as this last one. Maybe he had some influence, but I think this was a joint operation.

Yes they were. But constant turnover at HC, OC, and especially DC (EVERY year) undid any good. There are plenty of Whaley draft picks still playing, and starting, for other teams.

Either way, even if McDermott was making the final call, they were still using the scouting info that Whaley and his crew put together. McDermott was not doing his own scouting throughout the 2016 NFL season while DC in Carolina.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Had a hand in, sure. But they were still using Whaley and Co.'s scouting reports and draft board. Whaley scouted and drafted LBs like Bradham, Alonso, Brown, and Ragland (check his play on the Chiefs), so yeah, Milano does look like a Whaley pick.

Tough to say either way honestly.  Milano is different than all of those players in size by a lot.  6'0" 220.  All of the other guys you mention are a lot bigger than that.  He's more similar to Kiko in playing style with his speed.  Carolina drafted Shaq Thompson to play linebacker at 6'0" 230 a few years ago too.  I think both can be credited but I think McDermott had the final say.

46 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

We'll find out more about who called the shots on the 2017 draft over the course of the next couple seasons.

Donahoe's first draft was bananas........Clements, Schobel, Henry and Jonas Jennings all in succession.   People forget Jonas Jennings but when he wasn't getting carted off the field he was every bit as good as Cordy Glenn, IMO.

We later came to find out that draft was about the work of Dwight Adams.........who, like Whaley, was cast aside after that draft.  

Donahoe never came close to repeating that kind of draft.

Right on. And I hope Beane can and does scout as well.

I have no doubt that McDermott "had a hand" and even a major role in the 2017 picks. Just like Ryan had a hand in the previous 2 drafts, and Marrone in the 2 before him. As coaches should. The GM should be picking players that fit the specific scheme their coaches run. Whaley picks Ragland for Rex's D in '16, and Milano for McDermott's D in '17. Same as previous years and coaches.

But for anyone to assume McDermott showed up at OBD totally prepared, with an entire scouting departments worth of his own reports, and he didnt use Whaley's information... is just flat crazy.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Tough to say either way honestly.  Milano is different than all of those players in size by a lot.  6'0" 220.  All of the other guys you mention are a lot bigger than that.  He's more similar to Kiko in playing style with his speed.  Carolina drafted Shaq Thompson to play linebacker at 6'0" 230 a few years ago too.  I think both can be credited but I think McDermott had the final say.

Whaley didnt have one type of LB. He always drafted for his HC's scheme. When the scheme changed (every year), his type changed.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Right on. And I hope Beane can and does scout as well.

I have no doubt that McDermott "had a hand" and even a major role in the 2017 picks. Just like Ryan had a hand in the previous 2 drafts, and Marrone in the 2 before him. As coaches should. The GM should be picking players that fit the specific scheme their coaches run. Whaley picks Ragland for Rex's D in '16, and Milano for McDermott's D in '17. Same as previous years and coaches.

But for anyone to assume McDermott showed up at OBD totally prepared, with an entire scouting departments worth of his own reports, and he didnt use Whaley's information... is just flat crazy.

Whaley didnt have one type of LB. He always drafted for his HC's scheme. When the scheme changed (every year), his type changed.

I understand that but I believe McDermott had his pick with linebacker.  Being a defensive coach and looking for something in particular...I think he chose the pick

5 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I'm going to go with everyone knew Whaley was going to be fired after this draft. McD 100% ran that draft with tidbits of input from Whaley who would be fired after the draft.

You think McD showed up knowing all about every prospect and who he wanted to draft, and disregarded Whaley and Whaley's team's information? Do you have any idea how much work goes into scouting each year? One man can not do that on his own. Especially when his primary job is DC of a pro football team.

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You think McD showed up knowing all about every prospect and who he wanted to draft, and disregarded Whaley and Whaley's team's information? Do you have any idea how much work goes into scouting each year? One man can not do that on his own. Especially when his primary job is DC of a pro football team.

I understand, but everyone of Whaley's drafts sucked and this one is looking promising. I'm pretty sure McD had the final say on who the Bills drafted. 

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Just got a Milano jersey for Xmas. Hopefully he is around for a long time. He and Gaines make a huge difference in the D.

Great,now for sure they are trading him,jk.

That kids a player,always around the ball,in the backfield and not bad in pass defense.

This last draft has yielded some good players for us. Let’s hope we can parlay this next draft into something special.

50 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I understand, but everyone of Whaley's drafts sucked and this one is looking promising. I'm pretty sure McD had the final say on who the Bills drafted. 

This is flat wrong.

44 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I almost wonder if Beane tipped McD off to some of the prospects we drafted last year. I think there was an agreement between the two long before the move was made.

You guys would rather believe that McD and some guy who hadnt even interviewed with the Pegulas yet, risked ending their career with tampering and cheating, and are such geniuses they somehow slid just enough of the perfect information over, to result in a merely decent draft.

Lay off the crazy pills.

McD got here. Worked the draft with Whaley, and Whaley's scouting staff, and scouting information, and after the first year seemed to do ok. That's it.

Believe it because scouting has always been Whaley's strong point. He and his staff were good at identifying talent. Where things went wonky was with contract negotiations, and overspending to trade up for a WR.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I wouldn't say it was a questionable decision not to start him early in the year.  He didn't flash that much in the preseason.  Later in the year he did and he saw play time after that.  I wish he'd have gotten in a few games earlier but I believe he got better week to week.  A fifth rounder that starts for you before the year is over is tough to argue with.  I even made threads saying he should start but I also take stock in what he's doing on the practice field as a young player.  They made him earn it instead of just handing the job over to him, I have a respect for that.  Either way, we got a rookie 5th round linebacker to become a starter within his first year, that's pretty darn good.  I'm not going to be complaining too much about that.  

I really do not care to be contrarian.
But the issue might better be stated. what were the Bills thinking starting those OLBs and thinking we would be good for the season ?
Certainly happy for the Rookie. And he does shine at times for sure !
But Bills went into this season weak at LB imo. And I am a fan of Preston Brown ( mostly)

Go Milano