Houston hires Bills VP of Player Personnel Brian Gaine as GM

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

And i am actually kinda glad we are not one of those teams that block interviews for promotions 

Not sure if that rule changed. They used to be able to. Either way if they could i am sure they asked him do you want to interview if the answer was no then the Bills decline the interview request. 

I think that happens more than just teams saying FU your not able to interview for a promotion. 

I read that teams can only block an interview for a GM job until their season is over (including playoffs). Teams can block for other lower front office roles (as they are considered lateral moves) but not a GM job. 

Same me goes for coaching. They can't block for a head coaching position but they can for any other coaching position under the HC.

OC, DC, QB coach etc. are all only considered assistant coaching jobs, therefore can be blocked (even though going from QB coach to OC is technically a promotion). 

Same goes for front offices. 

Teams can definitely turn down the interview if that person doesn't have interest in the job though. 

At at least that's how I understand the rules.

I think there is certain criteria that has to be met though. Like the GM has to have final say on the 53 man roster, or teams can say that even though it's a GM job it's still a lateral move. I know the Bears did that to the Browns a couple years ago. 

NFL rules can get pretty complicated...