Houston hires Bills VP of Player Personnel Brian Gaine as GM

YoloinOhio

20 minutes ago, Buffalo Blues said:

So damn I was really loving what we had built in the front office. I really wish McD was jerk and told Houston "hell nah" but oh well. My question for you guys was wondering if you think he did anything for us at all while here. He had a year so had to be working during that time. I wonder if he visited any games and what he scouted. Also now do we keep his notes and tell him he cant pursue his grading. Will what happened with Carolina happen to us because of Gaine leaving and knowing what we are doing this just blows.

And i am actually kinda glad we are not one of those teams that block interviews for promotions 

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

I don't think Beane can really block Gaine from interviewing for a GM job.

He could have blocked him until our playoff run was over. But Gaine didn't interview until after we were out of the playoffs anyway. 

Not sure if that rule changed. They used to be able to. Either way if they could i am sure they asked him do you want to interview if the answer was no then the Bills decline the interview request. 

I think that happens more than just teams saying FU your not able to interview for a promotion. 

• Like (+1) 1

Beane knew it would happen eventually.  Probably agreed when he signed with the Bills they wouldn't block interviews.  Hopefully they also agreed that Gaine wouldn't take any office staff with him.

30 minutes ago, Buffalo Blues said:

So damn I was really loving what we had built in the front office. I really wish McD was jerk and told Houston "hell nah" but oh well. My question for you guys was wondering if you think he did anything for us at all while here. He had a year so had to be working during that time. I wonder if he visited any games and what he scouted. Also now do we keep his notes and tell him he cant pursue his grading. Will what happened with Carolina happen to us because of Gaine leaving and knowing what we are doing this just blows.

Yes and maybe last spring all these other teams could have also been jerks (as you seem to favor) and prevented the Bills from speaking to their people too.

25 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And i am actually kinda glad we are not one of those teams that block interviews for promotions 

Totally agree.  Allowing your people to interview for promotions is a good culture to have internally AND plays nicely in the sandbox with other teams.

I think Green Bay is the only team that takes a hard line in the sand on not allowing most interviews.

3 minutes ago, Manther said:

Totally agree.  Allowing your people to interview for promotions is a good culture to have internally AND plays nicely in the sandbox with other teams.

I think Green Bay is the only team that takes a hard line in the sand on not allowing most interviews.

Ravens have done it FOR YEARS with DeCosta (though i think that might be them saying No for Him so he doesnt piss off with a turn down) 

Philly does it routinely 

doesnt happen as move from the FO i guess. It does a ton with coaching staffs like QB coach blocked from OC jobs etc

Edited by MAJBobby

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Ravens have done it FOR YEARS with DeCosta (though i think that might be them saying No for Him so he doesnt piss off with a turn down) 

Philly does it routinely 

doesnt happen as move from the FO i guess. It does a ton with coaching staffs like QB coach blocked from OC jobs etc

Thanks, good to know.  Never noticed with Baltimore.  Now that you mention it I recall seeing it in Philly a couple times.

I could understand the QB coach blocked since they are probably similar (on some teams) to being the 2nd OC and a very integral part of the team! 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Blues said:

I get the sentiment, but I’m think it is good for an organization to show they are willing to let people advance their careers when opportunities arise. Talented personnel will be less likely to come here if they feel we are hesitant to allow them to advance their careers outside of the organization.

It sucks to lose him but this may also help us recruit other front office talent in the future.

Thats been my whole point is what happened with Carolina. We found out that they liked Dawkins and Zay Jones and we jumped them for the players. I know mostly he was pro scouting but some college in there and he has some idea of what we look for and like. So I don't know feel like everybody on here thinks im jerk because I want to keep a good fo person and continue "the process" instead of saying hey no worries we will figure out and good luck. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Blues said:

His notes came from the directors of college and pro scouting, who remain. He oversaw those areas. He was essentially  assistant GM if you want to look at it that way. Every organization varies with different titles and duties but Gaine was doing the same thing here as he was doing previously with the Texans. It is possible Beane may not even replace him until after the draft, or at all. 

He did go to at least one game with Beane to scout... the Ok St-Va Tech bowl game 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Damn thanks YoloinOhio for clearing that up. Wish I could say that makes me feel better but actually worse with that kinda knowledge. So wonder what his notes say about Rudolph? Not trying to get that conversation going just curious. I just wonder what his input would be seeing how they drafted Watson when he was with them and yes we havent seen full year but we all can agree that he produced.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

I am not sure why a guy would take a Job as a seat warmer until the guy he didnt get along with comes back. 

But is a Promotion so theres that

Smith will return to the Texans in the EVP role only. Gaine just got a 5 year GM contract, they're not going to pay him GM money for 5 years just to kick him back down to AGM when Smith returns from his leave of absence.

I would assume Gaine will run the day to day and work directly with BOB and staff. When he returns, Smith would have the "football czar" role. All football ops report up to him, he reports directly to McNair

27 minutes ago, Buffalo Blues said:

Damn thanks YoloinOhio for clearing that up. Wish I could say that makes me feel better but actually worse with that kinda knowledge. So wonder what his notes say about Rudolph? Not trying to get that conversation going just curious. I just wonder what his input would be seeing how they drafted Watson when he was with them and yes we havent seen full year but we all can agree that he produced.

Beane would know what his evaluations are on anyone he saw live. I doubt they keep any notes on paper. It’s all uploaded and shared in meetings.

Edited by YoloinOhio

59 minutes ago, Buffalo Blues said:

Texans have 2 - 3rd round picks, one each in the 4th, 6th and 7th.  Nice to know some of his notes and discussions will be rendered less concerning by going there.

• Like (+1) 1