Houston hires Bills VP of Player Personnel Brian Gaine as GM

YoloinOhio

On 12/29/2017 at 2:47 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Bills hired Brian Gaine away from the Texans last year which was a lateral move for him as Director of Player Personnel. Depending on which side if the fence he was on with O’Brien vs Smith, could see him going back there as GM if O’Brien wins this power struggle.

If the reporter is correct and it's one or the other I think that the Texans would regret letting Smith walk (much as Bills fans lament Bill Polian's exit from Buffalo).

10 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

It would suck to lose him before he even got to be here for one off season. With that being said I find it hard to imagine him packing up his family again after less a season.

I agree but the $ difference between his current title and GM role is typically pretty significant.  I think it might be more about whether he wants to work with O’Brien as he would be initimately familiar with how he operates. Wherever and whenever he takes s GM job I assume he will want to be in a situation where he feels relatively set up for success and may wait out the right opportunity. It’s usually hard to get back into a GM job if ever fired. Gettleman seems to be an exception. If he feels comfortable with O’Brien, it’s a good situation imo because they already have their QB on a rookie deal for 3 more years plus the option and many pieces in place. 

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree but the $ difference between his current title and GM role is typically pretty significant.  I think it might be more about whether he wants to work with O’Brien as he would be initimately familiar with how he operates. Wherever and whenever he takes s GM job I assume he will want to be in a situation where he feels relatively set up for success and may wait out the right opportunity. It’s usually hard to get back into a GM job if ever fired. Gettleman seems to be an exception. If he feels comfortable with O’Brien, it’s a good situation imo because they already have their QB on a rookie deal for 3 more years plus the option and many pieces in place. 

think you are correct, all rests with O'Brien. Good situation there with the QB in place. 

And he would be nuts not to take a GM role, no big deal moving. 

And Dorsey for the Browns was also fired and then rehired

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

think you are correct, all rests with O'Brien. Good situation there with the QB in place. 

And he would be nuts not to take a GM role, no big deal moving. 

And Dorsey for the Browns was also fired and then rehired

Dorsey and Gettleman seem to have bucked the recent trend. 

7 minutes ago, Nanker said:

The Polian kid perhaps? :unsure:

Honestly he’s really good as long as he’s behind the scenes and not the face of the FO. He’s like Whaley. 

That said I think he’s in a similar role now and won’t move from Jax to Bflo. Only move he will make imo is for another GM role or maybe a lateral move to Charlotte where his wife is from.

Edited by YoloinOhio

On 2017-12-29 at 3:12 PM, YoloinOhio said:

That has been rumored (not the NYG part, which is interesting) but that he wants out of Houston. I think going back to last year.

IF he wants out of Houston I find it interesting as he probably doesn't love Deshaun Watson.