Bills' dreadful run defense could lead to offseason makeover

I still think McD and Beane are gonna grab their QBs. Meaning on both sides of the ball.

QB to lead the offense and ILB to run the defense. I’d look for 2 if the first 3 picks to be a QB and ILB.

Throw in OL and DT Maybe OLB to complete our first 5 picks.

QB, ILB, OL, DT, CB/OLB (no particular order)

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1

13 minutes ago, BillsFan1 said:

No question Dareus did not want to play for McD.  Did not even have enough respect for him to call him Coach.  Two interviews I saw Dareus called him McDermott.  He was as good as gone at that point.

He referred to every coach that way in interviews as far as I remember.  Nothing to be drawn from an interview regarding that.   

Really???  If I was in charge I would draw something from that.  Go call your boss by his last name - see what he says.  C'mon guys. 

McDermott said something.  He told Dareus to pack his bags and get out.

If Dareus was a team guy who bought into what McDermott was selling, he would still be on the roster - regardless of salary.  Same for Watkins.  Watkins has said he was selfish while he was in Buffalo.  Dareus too.  The biggest reason they are both gone is because McDLT went to Beane and said get these two headaches off the roster.

McBeane already made over the D...last off season, during the season and, who knows?, maybe even further this week. If you watch other teams, you could put together a pretty solid D just from former Whaley picks and FAs starting all around the league. Makes me sick.

1 hour ago, SaviorPeterman said:

We can no longer ignore the metrics that say this was a much better defense with Marcel Dareus in the lineup. And no matter how Beane and McD spin it, there was no real reason to unload Dareus when they did and simply could have waited until the offseason. And in hindsight this very well may be the move that kept this team out of playoffs:

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/30614/bills-dreadful-run-defense-could-lead-to-offseason-makeover

Dareus has 1 sack (while he played for us)  and 19 tackles on the year.  While stat line isn't everything and he does help on the run.  Paying someone around $1 million per tackle during a season is insane.  

Better to have rid ourselves of him earlier and at least got something for him.

5 minutes ago, yungmack said:

McBeane already made over the D...last off season, during the season and, who knows?, maybe even further this week. If you watch other teams, you could put together a pretty solid D just from former Whaley picks and FAs starting all around the league. Makes me sick.

Whaley's picks?

Adolphus, Shaq

Panties Brown, Kiko, Ragland, R. Johnson

Has all the makings of a bad front 7. Whaley makes me sick too.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Who would have guessed? 

I predict the Bills will target a "Star".

In other Buffalo news, snow is cold...

31 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He referred to every coach that way in interviews as far as I remember.  Nothing to be drawn from an interview regarding that.   

Except for the fact that he's a disrespectful prick.  Have a little professionalism, Marcell.

It will be fun to see the kick off of next season - will Marrone be stoked when Dareus shows up out of shape and unmotivated? :D :beer: 

47 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

While Dareus hasn't done anything flashy since his monster 2014 season, he was still one of the most naturally gifted players on defense. It's unfortunate that he's had to deal with so much outside noise in his life which has clearly affected his approach towards football, but at a certain point, there's only so much mentoring teammates can do, only so much extra coaching the coaches can do and only so many conversations to be had before you gotta cut ties and give the guy a fresh start somewhere else. It's a bummer he wound up in Jacksonville too because it's pretty evident that he isn't a fan of Marrone. 

Remember, they locked him up with the big contract after he came off his best seasons in '13 and '14. Had they not extended him at that point the fan base would have lost their marbles, screaming, "They let another top player just walk for nothin!" The way some fans see things put this team in no-win positions time and again. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

But, regarding this years defense, I do think they may have done a little better if they'd hung onto him. I'm certain his playing time was low because McD wasn't seeing consistent effort from play to play. That aside, even if he wasn't racking up huge numbers, he's the type of player who opens things up for players around him. OLs usually have to put two guys on him, that frees up an LB or a DE somewhere which helps the pass rush and it also makes it difficult to run up the middle. I dunno, maybe he wasn't happy playing that role. Maybe he wanted the big plays and the big numbers and didn't want to put the team first and be a guy that helps the team by allowing other guys to make plays. I'm sure his passion for the game was also questioned by McD as it's clear he and Beane intend on fielding a team full of players who prioritize winning, a team first and a "do your job" mentality. Did Dareus fit that description? Maybe to a point. He certainly had a lot of love for his teammates but I think it's been pretty easy to see that he's not the easiest player to coach. He's probably a tough egg to crack in terms of trust. He's obviously not going to respond well to an "in your face" aggressive coaching style. I actually thought McDermott would be able to get through to him but I think at the end of the day, Dareus just wasn't buying into enough of what they wanted to do here. Maybe he didn't like the idea of a rotating DL and figured he should be in there for the majority of the game. Something definitely went down though because at the start of training camp, John Murphy had Kyle Williams on his show and Williams had high praise for Dareus at that point. He said Dareus was in great physical shape, the best shape he'd seen him show up for a camp, and he also said Dareus came in extremely focused and ready to go. Then the guy can't make the bus for a pre-season game in Baltimore and it goes downhill from there. It's a bummer, seems like the guy just can't get out of his own way.

Agreed.

MD's  flaws are obvious.  But - considering how atrocious we've been - it's hard to imagine that  our run D wouldn't have been better with Marcel.

We can no longer ignore the metrics that say this was a much better defense with Marcel Dareus in the lineup. And no matter how Beane and McD spin it, there was no real reason to unload Dareus when they did and simply could have waited until the offseason. And in hindsight this very well may be the move that kept this team out of playoffs:

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/30614/bills-dreadful-run-defense-could-lead-to-offseason-makeover

A competent offense would wipe those concerns away.  Time of possession, rested defense that's not on the field all the time, not playing from behind, etc. 

Dareus was quite a dominant force against the 5 win 9ers on Sunday. 

Marcell Dareus
1/0 tackle'assist, 0.0 sacks,  

This still doesn't change my overall opinion of Dareus. He's obviously a very good player on the field when he wants to be but in no way was worth the ridiculous money Whaley gave him. But at the end of the day we essentially traded a much stouter defensive unit and better shot at the playoffs for a 5th round pick that could amount to nothing.

And I still think Dareus opened things up for the pass rush as well which has markedly declined as the season went on and also exposed KW as being finished and mostly a liability this season especially against the Run.

Wow! The reason we are out is because of the qb, not because of losing the fat child on defense.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsFan1 said:

Not necessarily, but what difference does pass protection make if Tyrod wont throw the ball down the field?

It will when they put in a perfect west coast QB for their west coast offense.  Go back and watch the Chargers game, Peterman didn't stand a chance because of how poor the right side of the line is.  Accept it or not, but Tyrod's ability to evade incoming pressure has taken pressure off the offensive line.

Is anybody comfortable putting a rookie like Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, or please god no Josh Allen behind this line?

Edited by Julio Hopkins

I didn't feel that bad that Dareus got traded. I thought that his suspensions, the sloppy attitude and his meagre pass rush sealed his fate. However his run stuffing ability or even the fact that his humungous size made RBs run around him and be tackled by others I completely missed. His value was there and nowhere else. Too bad the monster contract made Beane nervous. Had he been signed to something reasonable he might still be there. In any case the run defense has been absolutely abysmal since. You would think though that Beane and McDermott would have  been aware of this strength of Dareus and at the very least had a plan B for the run stopping.