Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

On 10/1/2021 at 9:42 AM, TBBills said:

The Many Saints of Newark out today on HBO Max

Interested to hear what folks thought about this movie.  I watched Friday night and enjoyed it a lot.  Love how they paid extra attn to characters like, Tony’s mother, Uncle Junior, and Dickie Moltisanti.  Thought Ray Liotta was horrible as the Moltisanti twins, IMO.  

I almost feel like there could be an additional prequel made.  I really need to watch this again.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Interested to hear what folks thought about this movie.  I watched Friday night and enjoyed it a lot.  Love how they paid extra attn to characters like, Tony’s mother, Uncle Junior, and Dickie Moltisanti.  Thought Ray Liotta was horrible as the Moltisanti twins, IMO.  

I almost feel like there could be an additional prequel made.  I really need to watch this again.

I like it alot but I thought it was going to be a different type of story more on Tony. In reality it's about all the people around him and pretty much how they were manipulative to the family before Tony even came to the realization of wanting to be in power.

On 9/2/2021 at 4:59 PM, Bad Things said:

We watched the first two episodes of the new Steve Martin / Martin Short / Selena Gomez show, "Only Murders in the Building" last night and really enjoyed it.

It's very well-made, with great writing and acting.  We'll see how the rest of the season goes, but so far it's been really good.

On 9/3/2021 at 4:58 PM, Bad Things said:

Yeah, same here.  I felt that way when I typed it!

I've heard of her before, but never heard her sing or see her act.  It was a pleasant surprise. 

On 9/8/2021 at 8:38 AM, The Jokeman said:

Me and my wife are watching it, Steve Martin is the best part of the show by far.. 

Just started watching “Only Murders in the Building” over the weekend. On episode 5 and really enjoying it. Same re: Selena Gomez but liking the character depth & her comedic delivery and the mix of boomer & sardonic-millennial interplay. Has a lot of artistry that might be rewarded come awards time.

Yeah, Steve Martin kinda dropped off the acting & comedy map for quite awhile in pursuit of his banjo stuff. Don’t know the backstory there. Similar to Chevy Chase wrt depression? Nice to see a return and hoping🤞🏼for more.

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

Just started watching “Only Murders in the Building” over the weekend. On episode 5 and really enjoying it. Same re: Selena Gomez but liking the character depth & her comedic delivery and the mix of boomer & sardonic-millennial interplay. Has a lot of artistry that might be rewarded come awards time.

Yeah, Steve Martin kinda dropped off the acting & comedy map for quite awhile in pursuit of his banjo stuff. Don’t know the backstory there. Similar to Chevy Chase wrt depression? Nice to see a return and hoping🤞🏼for more.

I'd love a Chevy Chase drop in to make a Three Amigos joke/reference but doubt it would happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/4/2021 at 9:29 AM, May Day 10 said:

I like it too.

I have no experience watching Korean content, but I really dig it.  I like how everything is shot, acted, and looking into a different culture as part of the background.

Anyway.  The Squid Game is great.  3 Episodes in and I like it.  

There are so many good movies out of South Korea. 

The Man from Nowhere

Burning

I Saw The Devil

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

Oldboy

These are just a few, great content from Korea if you don’t mind subtitles.

2 hours ago, Rockpile233 said:

The Man from Nowhere

Burning

I Saw The Devil

Oldboy

Obviously Parasite as well was fantastic, though that's not on Netflix.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Rockpile233 said:

The Man from Nowhere

Burning

I Saw The Devil

Oldboy

My son was big on Korean movies and gave me a list to watch.

The Chaser

Memories of Murder

The Chase

The Admiral: Roaring Currents -- Based on a battle in Korean history

He also gave me an odd Japanese movie -  Departures.  It is about how the Japanese handle funerals, I found the cultural take on this very interesting.

The tough thing about these is finding them.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/6/2021 at 1:10 PM, Rockpile233 said:

The Man from Nowhere

Burning

I Saw The Devil

Oldboy

If talking Korean movies, Train to Busan is wonderful.

On 10/6/2021 at 10:51 PM, Greybeard said:

My son was big on Korean movies and gave me a list to watch.

The Chaser

Memories of Murder

The Chase

The Admiral: Roaring Currents -- Based on a battle in Korean history

He also gave me an odd Japanese movie -  Departures.  It is about how the Japanese handle funerals, I found the cultural take on this very interesting.

The tough thing about these is finding them.

The only thing I know about Japanese funerals is that they wear all white and not black to them.  Everything is pretty much 180 degrees the opposite in that culture, which is why I've been fascinated by it since I was a young teenager.

I'll check out "Departures."  Thanks! 

I highly recommend "Stranger," a Korean mystery on Netflix. It's very complex with 16 one hour episodes. However, it's very involving and every episode is good. It's about a district attorney who lost his sense of empathy and a detective who doesn't get respect from her peers. Very well done, great characters and plot. 

Unfortunately, I could not get into the second season. 

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

What is it about?  What's it on?

Honestly I don't even want to ruin the show. If you don't know anything about it and you like good and really unique storylines and great acting, watch it.

The creator/director also did Haunting of Hill House.

It's a bit of a slow burn, but it's amazing.

Also... plenty of social commentary mixed in there... specifically of a religious nature.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/6/2021 at 10:10 AM, Rockpile233 said:

The Man from Nowhere

Burning

I Saw The Devil

Oldboy

To add to this list, The Handmaiden is one of the best things I've seen this decade