Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

On 5/30/2021 at 9:29 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

Weather has been miserable here the last two days and I was scrolling around Amazon and came across "Tough Guy" the Bob Probert documentary. Well worth an hour of time. Sad that he could never pull it together. 

Thanks for this recommendation.  Didn't know about this one until you mentioned it.  Just got done watching it, it was very good although pretty sad.  

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, shrader said:

Shows like this really make me hate the weekly release strategy that Disney uses.  That first episode was entertaining, but in the big picture, absolutely nothing happened.  The show could go off in any direction from here.

Disney does it to ensure you keep coming back, I agree with you but that is why I wait for all episodes and then binge watch whole thing.

I am not a huge Star Wars fan, but watched all the movies with my kids in the past few months on Disney+, and sort of got into it a little.

we started on mandelorian (about 5 episodes in). It seems okay, but I have been sort of confused by it— seems like a bunch of disjointed events of mando carrying baby yoda around. I was expecting a more coherent and compelling story line. But maybe it gets better? 

On 6/12/2021 at 9:44 AM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am not a huge Star Wars fan, but watched all the movies with my kids in the past few months on Disney+, and sort of got into it a little.

we started on mandelorian (about 5 episodes in). It seems okay, but I have been sort of confused by it— seems like a bunch of disjointed events of mando carrying baby yoda around. I was expecting a more coherent and compelling story line. But maybe it gets better? 

It pretty much is a lose episodic show and then they tie it all together down the home stretch.  I forget exactly when that starts, but I want to say the last two episodes.  The second season is structured very similarly.

So I finally got some time last night and watched Tenet on HBO Max. Now, I consider myself a reasonably intelligent guy...but WTF did I just watch? Cool "set piece" action scenes, but seriously if you put a gun to my head and asked me what that movie was about, well I've had a good life. Nolan was being too clever for his own good.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, DD4Bills said:

So I finally got some time last night and watched Tenet on HBO Max. Now, I consider myself a reasonably intelligent guy...but WTF did I just watch? Cool "set piece" action scenes, but seriously if you put a gun to my head and asked me what that movie was about, well I've had a good life. Nolan was being too clever for his own good.

Ditto…may try shrooms the next time I watch it…perhaps I need a wider brain to understand it.

This guy from GQ tried to explain it but my head hurt just reading it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gq.com/story/tenet-explained/amp

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Tomorrow war wasnt bad at all. and i think its probably been mentioned, but JA17 has an uncanny resemblance to chris pratt in this film. 

It was "OK" to me. Did have an interesting story line and all with time travel and future war etc. Just thought some scenes were poorly done and a few of the actors wasn't that good (Not Pratt really), just overall some scenes and actors could have been better. So was just "meh"to me.

Was worth watching I guess, the story, or "plot" I guess you could say, is what made it interesting enough to me. Anyway, my 2 cents.

On 7/3/2021 at 1:33 PM, Gene1973 said:

The Tomorrow War was a great movie. No woke BS. It's on Amazon Prime.

It was. Great Summer blockbuster in the Independence Day spirit.

On 7/5/2021 at 2:50 PM, The Jokeman said:

Anyone watching Kevin Can F*** Himself on AMC/Hulu? It's with the daughter from Schitt$ Creek. It has its funny moments but also quite dramatic at same time.

Looks too dark. I get what they're doing, but if I'm gonna watch a comedy, I want to laugh, not cringe.

5 hours ago, Heitz said:

Paramount probably doesn't qualify at "premium", but Yellowstone is one of the best shows on TV!  Definitely worth checking out...

Paramount plus is premium. This is a show I've been meaning to get to... thanks!

As for other shows... has anyone watched Sweet Tooth? Fantastic show!

I also am 5 episodes in to Mr. Mercedes on Peacock and I'm hooked!

Loki is awesome... although right now I'm wondering what's happened from the last huge cliffhanger episode and I've gotta wait to find out!

I watched the 1st episode of The Wire because I've heard so much about it. Honestly... wasn't inspired to keep watching. And I do like crime stuff as I liked Bosch and LOVED Justified.

For All Mankind on AppleTV has been a good watch.  It begins with the 1950s-1960s space race and continues on in time but reimagined with a background of semi-historical events and fictional twists.  I'm no space expert so it all seems plausible to me.   There is no real continuous story through episodes or seasons, more just a bunch of stuff that happens, but I still get sucked in a for a few episodes at a time.

36 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Paramount plus is premium. This is a show I've been meaning to get to... thanks!

As for other shows... has anyone watched Sweet Tooth? Fantastic show!

I also am 5 episodes in to Mr. Mercedes on Peacock and I'm hooked!

Loki is awesome... although right now I'm wondering what's happened from the last huge cliffhanger episode and I've gotta wait to find out!

I watched the 1st episode of The Wire because I've heard so much about it. Honestly... wasn't inspired to keep watching. And I do like crime stuff as I liked Bosch and LOVED Justified.

Give it a few more episodes.  

• Agree 1

On 6/11/2021 at 9:49 AM, shrader said:

Shows like this really make me hate the weekly release strategy that Disney uses.  That first episode was entertaining, but in the big picture, absolutely nothing happened.  The show could go off in any direction from here.

I like it and I would posit that it is better for the brand. I completely understand wanting to see the whole thing in one go, in the case of Loki you could always just tune in 6 weeks after the show premieres and watch the whole thing. Now my argument for weekly releases versus the netflix all in on dump

Why it's better for the show:

1. Good shows build up buzz. The time between episodes is filled with youtube easter egg and theory videos, articles written about the show and general discussion between friends, who can discuss the show on equal footing because they are all at the same point in the series.
  2. Shows like Mandalorian and Loki create a buzz that can last for several months. Witcher was a decent show, but the buzz with that show lasted about a week and then everyone forgot about it.

Why it's fun for us:

1. Level playing-field - everyone can only have watched up to the same point, you can't do that with dump shows.

Has anyone mentioned Patriot on Amazon Prime? I love that show.

• Agree 2

On 7/3/2021 at 4:33 PM, Gene1973 said:

The Tomorrow War was a great movie. No woke BS. It's on Amazon Prime.

On 7/4/2021 at 11:35 PM, GETTOTHE50 said:

Tomorrow war wasnt bad at all. and i think its probably been mentioned, but JA17 has an uncanny resemblance to chris pratt in this film. 

I thought it was great for about 75%. The final act felt rushed and just plain goofy. Like they didn't know how to end it, so they just ripped off Alien.