Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

I stumbled upon this Brit comedy panel/game show on YouTube.  ‘Would I Lie to You’ or WILTY has many seasons of entertainment too if you do find it funny.  

There are a couple of highlight shows that first got me into it.  They are labeled ‘WILTY Best Bits’ if you do YouTube search 

show description:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/would_i_lie_to_you/

from the article

The aim of the game is to fool the opposition into mistaking fact for fiction and fiction for fact. To do so, panellists need quick-wit and a poker face. Only those who can think on their feet will survive interrogation from the other team.

Edited by Bob in Mich

The new Melissa McCarthy movie on Netflix, Thunder Force, is absolutely dreadful.  Wife was asking all week to watch and I finally caved last night.  Brutally not funny.  Jason Bateman was in a few mildly entertaining scenes.  Overall, I wish I had those 2 hours of my life back.  Fair warning.

On 3/22/2021 at 1:09 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

I have Paramount Plus. What are those shows abou? True crime?

I'm watching The Stand on Paramount Plus and I'm on episode 5. I really don't understand why people don't like this show. I think it's excellent.

Interrogation was based on a True crime, One Dollar was fictional but very intriguing and well done IMO. 

Confessions of a time traveler...man from 3036. This is very interesting to me. I can't find anything on this about being one of those fake/etc type documentaries like you can about any other one.

Anyways, it's a very interesting watch.  This will really have you thinking and it certainly seems legit. Kinda scary in a way. Check it out, saw it on Amazon 

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

I enjoyed This Is A Robbery on netflix.  Docuseries about an art heist.

The Q Anon docuseries on HBOMax is also fascinating.  I feel like its really bringing me a lot closer to understanding many of my fellow TBDers. 

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Haha (+1) 1

I haven't seen "Gangs of London" discussed.

An AMC import, one season (so far), 10 episodes. It's by the same guy who did the "The Raid" movies, so while action is his hallmark, it's fairly tight story of what happens when the boss of the biggest crime family is assassinated (not giving anything away), the hunt to find out who did it and the repercussions on the business relationships of all the other gangs.  

I'm six episodes in and it really leaves an impression. Its most obvious characteristic are the action scenes that tend to highlight each episode. Hyper violent, somewhat "realistic" (yes, some are superior fighters but cartoonish, more like Bourne movies) and propel the plot (not just gratuitous). Frankly, some of the best action sequences I've seen and I'm surprised they haven't become a viral phenomenon.  

Best way to watch is on AMC's app (on iPad or through Roku, etc). It's $4.99 month, but you could cancel anytime and it has no ads. 

On 4/19/2021 at 11:18 AM, Jauronimo said:

I enjoyed This Is A Robbery on netflix.  Docuseries about an art heist.

The Q Anon docuseries on HBOMax is also fascinating.  I feel like its really bringing me a lot closer to understanding many of my fellow TBDers. 

I thought that doc was fascinating and really well done!

On 11/23/2020 at 3:38 PM, teef said:

i just learned that mind hunter will not have  a season 3.  it's not canceled, but the creator really wants nothing to do with it right now.

I was late to the party and binged all seasons last month. Was crushed when I heard there are no plans for season 3 and all actors have been released from their contracts.

I guess thats the risk you run when you have Hollywood A list director do a series. He wants to focus on his upcoming film projects.

One of the best shows I have ever seen

48 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I was late to the party and binged all seasons last month. Was crushed when I heard there are no plans for season 3 and all actors have been released from their contracts.

I guess thats the risk you run when you have Hollywood A list director do a series. He wants to focus on his upcoming film projects.

One of the best shows I have ever seen

honestly...i don't remember being this disappointed with a show now coming back.  as you mentioned earlier, we like the cecil hotel show on netflix as well.  

• Like (+1) 1

Can't wait for Shadow and Bone to come out tomorrow!!!

And I'm halfway through the final season of Homeland... which is a fantastic show for anyone who hasn't seen it.  I've been doing monthly subscriptions to Showtime solely for that show for the last few months.  I set my subscription to cancel on May 3rd because I'll be done by then and there's nothing else on Showtime I really wanna watch.

I have mixed feelings about Ray Donovan... also on Showtime.  Good acting, interesting storylines.  But the people in there (including the main character himself) are just so often lacking in redeeming characteristics to make up for their terrible--and often vulgar-- mistakes.  I'm no prude... but there's just a gratuitous nature to the show and almost every character is despicable in one way or another other than Ray's 2 brothers.  Kinda sad about that.  Made it all the way up through the 4th episode in season 2 and my wife and I mutually agreed at the same time the show wasn't worth watching anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/17/2021 at 10:39 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

The new Melissa McCarthy movie on Netflix, Thunder Force, is absolutely dreadful.  Wife was asking all week to watch and I finally caved last night.  Brutally not funny.  Jason Bateman was in a few mildly entertaining scenes.  Overall, I wish I had those 2 hours of my life back.  Fair warning.

Wish I read this before my wife and i watched it to other night. Almost as bad as the other Melissa McCarthy movie from earlier this year, Super Intelligence. Gotta stop watching Melissa McCarthy movies.

To add some recommendations to this list:

- Letterkenny (Hulu) - life in a VERY small Canadian town...it's the hicks vs. the skids vs. the hockey players. It has a unique cadence to it, so give it a few episodes

- Mr. Mercedes (Peacock) - based on Stephen King book(s). Brendan Gleeson is stellar in this

- The Nevers (HBO Max) - Just watched the first episode but really intriguing premise and am interested in seeing where this goes

- The Boys (Amazon Prime) - I know it has been discussed in this thread, but the whale scene in season 2 alone is worth the price of admission. If you are easily offended (especially by the use of the C word), stay away.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the Starz streaming app for the past few months, and there are a number of good series on it.

Some of my favorites are:

"The Missing": A detective searching for abducted children. Season 1 was inspired by the Madeline McCann abduction case, but I think season 2 was the better of the two seasons.

"Boss":  Kelsey Grammer plays the mentally deteriorating Mayor of Chicago trying to keep his grip on power, and his sanity!

"Luther": Idris Elba as a rule-bending London detective....I'm only through Season 2 of this, but its one of the better cop dramas I have seen in a while(its 10 years old, so I assume many people have already seen this one!).

On Netflix, I just wrapped up a show called "Imposters" which I thought was really good. Apparently, this show was originally on Bravo.....I thought that channel only made Real Housewives and crap like that...I bet this show would have gotten more praise or attention if it was on a regular channel, definitely worth a try. Its about a group of scammers who marry people, steal everything their mark has, then disappear without a trace. The show revolves around three "marks" who band together to find the woman who scammed them(of course they are all still into her). The lead actress who is the scammer is a real beauty....never seen her in anything else before, but man she was a perfect pick for the part!

Edited by Special K