Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

8 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Who else caught the first episode of "Allen v. Farrow" on HBO?

I thought it was well done and it's an interesting story.

New episodes air on Sunday nights.

Saw it.  Didn't realize about the other daughter.  My GF loves his movies, and Polanski's my favorite director... don't know what that says about us haha

30 Monedas was a Great series if you have HBO.   Well written, solid performances and the artistic concepts are stunning, and very Polanski-esque at times... except for the occasional spider-monster things- those were lame, but only played a small part.  

Two recommendations.  

Greenland on Amazon Prime ($5.99 rental) was a pretty good movie.  Best movie I’ve watched since the pandemic began.  Interesting apocalyptic theme.  Good story line.  Interesting ending.  Cool special effects.

Wu Tang Clan - Of Mics and Men on Showtime.  Documentary series about the group from the early years of rap battles and breakdancing in the Staten Island/Brooklyn projects.  Awesome, nostalgic footage of the early years.  They really go in great depth about the background of all the members.  If you were/are into the Wu Tang Clan, you’re going to LOVE this series. 

• Like (+1) 1

So @ScottLaw mentioned this in the book thread, but I was wondering what people's opinions are of The Stand on CBS All Access?

I actually just watched the first episode and I liked it.  To me, it appears to be very true to the book, but it jumps all over the place in terms of time, unlike the book.  I could see why that would make it confusing for anyone who hasn't read the book, but since I have, at least the 1st episode made sense and was pretty true to the book.

I'm just curious if anyone's watched the show?  If you have, did you or did you not read the book and do you think that helped or hurt your experience watching the series?

18 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

So @ScottLaw mentioned this in the book thread, but I was wondering what people's opinions are of The Stand on CBS All Access?

I actually just watched the first episode and I liked it.  To me, it appears to be very true to the book, but it jumps all over the place in terms of time, unlike the book.  I could see why that would make it confusing for anyone who hasn't read the book, but since I have, at least the 1st episode made sense and was pretty true to the book.

I'm just curious if anyone's watched the show?  If you have, did you or did you not read the book and do you think that helped or hurt your experience watching the series?

We just finished it this afternoon.  I have not read the book, my only experience was the original mini-series.  The jumping back and forth in time only lasts through the first 3 or 4 episodes.  In terms of how it compares to the original mini-series, it's pretty close, but there's the additional episode at the end.  

On 2/3/2021 at 3:51 PM, Nextmanup said:

I stumbled across a relatively new documentary series on HBO last night.

"Lady and the Dale."

I saw parts 1 and 2.  It will be a 4 part series.  I don't think parts 3 or 4 have aired yet.

Sucked me right in; very well done and interesting story I was not familiar with.

Definitely recommended!

HBO this Sunday premieres a four-part documentary called "The Lady and The Dale" that traces the story of one of the biggest cons in auto industry history. It tells the tale of the Dale, a three-wheeler promoted as a cheap, light, and fuel-efficient commuter in the 1970s — and the story of the car's biggest promoter, the company founder who wound up in jail.

I remember a segment on Unsolved Mysteries about "The Dale"

https://www.pajiba.com/tv_reviews/what-the-unsolved-mysteries-segment-about-liz-carmichael-tells-us-about-the-lady-and-the-dale.php

On 2/27/2021 at 3:04 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Two recommendations.  

Greenland on Amazon Prime ($5.99 rental) was a pretty good movie.  Best movie I’ve watched since the pandemic began.  Interesting apocalyptic theme.  Good story line.  Interesting ending.  Cool special effects.

Wu Tang Clan - Of Mics and Men on Showtime.  Documentary series about the group from the early years of rap battles and breakdancing in the Staten Island/Brooklyn projects.  Awesome, nostalgic footage of the early years.  They really go in great depth about the background of all the members.  If you were/are into the Wu Tang Clan, you’re going to LOVE this series. 

Thanks for the "Greenland" recommendation.

I just read a synopsis, looks interesting.  79% fresh at RT.

Will probably watch tonight!

• Like (+1) 1

New Netflix movie I Care A Lot was a fun watch.  I thought it was highly original.  White Tiger was also a solid Netflix original.  Netflix normally tries to check off as many boxes as possible with their story lines but the two listed above were focused cohesive films.

Anyone watch the TV show Banshee? Originally on Cinemax. It has very good reviews and I'm about four episodes in. I've been told that it gets very clever but I'm afraid it won't shake it's cheesy, testosterone fueled characters and storyline that focuses on casual violence and sex that would excite a 14-year boy.  

2 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Anyone interested in Coming 2 America?   Pretty much the ads seem inescapable.

The 1st was all right, funny enough.  I'm thinking it might be worth a look 

Oh man... the 1st was just "all right?" Could be an age thing, but I consider that movie a classic.

Wife and I love the 1st movie and have watched it several times. We're going to watch the 2nd tomorrow with her parents like it's going to the movies. I already know it's going to be a bunch of similar/recycled jokes, but we're bound to enjoy it. Coming to America was peak Eddie Murphy to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/5/2021 at 8:09 PM, Another Fan said:

Anyone interested in Coming 2 America?   Pretty much the ads seem inescapable.

The 1st was all right, funny enough.  I'm thinking it might be worth a look 

It sucked. Was very disappointed in it myself. Was really looking forward to seeing it too. But yeah, turned out to be a dud.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think I asked this already, but anyone watching Ray Donovan on Showtime?

My wife and I just started the 2nd season and we both really like it.  I think the show balances itself as kind of a dramedy.  It's MUCH heavier on the drama and there are some intense sequences.  But it also seems fairly self aware and for every seriously intense moment/episode it tries to follow it up with one that's a little more lighthearted.

Liev Schreiber and Jon Voight are fantastic as the 2 main leads.

On 3/5/2021 at 7:58 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

Oh man... the 1st was just "all right?" Could be an age thing, but I consider that movie a classic.

Wife and I love the 1st movie and have watched it several times. We're going to watch the 2nd tomorrow with her parents like it's going to the movies. I already know it's going to be a bunch of similar/recycled jokes, but we're bound to enjoy it. Coming to America was peak Eddie Murphy to me.

Prepare the royal bathers