Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

Just finished season 3 of cobra Kai, and thought it was the best season so far.  

This may just be me, but the nostalgia was at an all-time high, with the references to KK1 and 2, and bringing back a lot of the same characters, themes, music, subtle references. When they re-did the song “feel the night” for a golf n stuff scene, felt like it was 1984 all over again!

I also can’t believe that Martin kove (aka John Krease) is still such a brute. The guy is like 75 years old. 

say what you will about the cheese factor, but for us karate kid die-hards, this is an amazing trip down memory lane. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Just finished season 3 of cobra Kai, and thought it was the best season so far.  

This may just be me, but the nostalgia was at an all-time high, with the references to KK1 and 2, and bringing back a lot of the same characters, themes, music, subtle references. When they re-did the song “feel the night” for a golf n stuff scene, felt like it was 1984 all over again!

I also can’t believe that Martin kove (aka John Krease) is still such a brute. The guy is like 75 years old. 

say what you will about the cheese factor, but for us karate kid die-hards, this is an amazing trip down memory lane. 

After reading about this show on here I started to watch S1.  Initially, the childhood nostalgia drew me in, but it just got too cheesy for my liking.  Reminded me of some of the shows my daughter watches on Nickelodeon.  Not my cup of tea, but I can see why many of you have enjoyed it.

Wife and I are now watching the Night Stalker.  Holy hell...😳

I just finished the 6 part HBO documentary "McMillions" about the McDonald's Monopoly contest scandal that lasted for more than a decade.

Really interesting and genuinely FUNNY documentary.  The producers of the doc were lucky to get a really interesting, dynamic group of people to help tell the story.  The Mob guy, the Mob guy's little brother, the Mob guy's wife, the FBI guy, and a few others.  Charismatic people.  

I think the show is better for the characters we get to know really well, more than the actual scandal itself.

What can be nice about streaming services is finding old shows you never had time to watch in their first run.

Skimming through Netflix 2 weeks ago, I saw they had Twin Peaks listed.

I was busy starting a career and dating my eventual wife when it first aired, so I never really watched it.  I knew what it was of course, and like anyone who was around in 1989-90 knew the phrase, "Who killed Laura Palmer?".

I had an hour to kill one night and watched the pilot episode.  I was hooked.  For the younger generation who aren't familiar with it...there probably hasn't been anything on TV like it before or since.  In one murder investigation, they crammed about 2 dozen subplots, an entire cast of eclectic characters, weird dream sequences, giants, log ladies and beautiful off the wall humor. The amazing thing is they did it in a season and a half. 

David Lynch's masterpiece.

42 minutes ago, CookieG said:

What can be nice about streaming services is finding old shows you never had time to watch in their first run.

I was busy starting a career and dating my eventual wife when it first aired, so I never really watched it.  I knew what it was of course, and like anyone who was around in 1989-90 knew the phrase, "Who killed Laura Palmer?".

I had an hour to kill one night and watched the pilot episode.  I was hooked.  For the younger generation who aren't familiar with it...there probably hasn't been anything on TV like it before or since.  In one murder investigation, they crammed about 2 dozen subplots, an entire cast of eclectic characters, weird dream sequences, giants, log ladies and beautiful off the wall humor. The amazing thing is they did it in a season and a half. 

Twin peaks will suck you in. In college, my buddies and I binged it— it was so memorable. 

I have thought about re-watching. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I just finished the 4 part Night Stalker docu-series on Netflix.  Was very good

If you liked that, watch Ripper on Netflix. It’s about a British serial killer in the 70’s/80’s....the police completely botched the investigation and the killer was eventually caught by luck.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, CookieG said:

I'm a gigantic Lynch and Twin Peaks fan.

It has to be the in the top 2 or 3 TV shows ever aired on network TV in America, along with "Northern Exposure" and a few others.

Top shelf entertainment!  

The second season was a bit of a disaster and then they ended it prematurely.

The show is really all about Season 1, which is utterly fantastic.

5 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Twin peaks will suck you in. In college, my buddies and I binged it— it was so memorable. 

I have thought about re-watching. 

Twin Peaks is a great example of how important good music can be to a movie or TV show.

I can't imagine Blade Runner without Vangelis' masterpiece soundtrack, for example.

The music in Twin Peaks is just fantastic.

Fans of the show must watch this video, if you haven't done so already!  

37 minutes ago, Special K said:

If you liked that, watch Ripper on Netflix. It’s about a British serial killer in the 70’s/80’s....the police completely botched the investigation and the killer was eventually caught by luck.

Thanks for mentioning this.  I will investigate it tonight if I can.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm a gigantic Lynch and Twin Peaks fan.

It has to be the in the top 2 or 3 TV shows ever aired on network TV in America, along with "Northern Exposure" and a few others.

Top shelf entertainment!  

The second season was a bit of a disaster and then they ended it prematurely.

The show is really all about Season 1, which is utterly fantastic.

Twin Peaks is a great example of how important good music can be to a movie or TV show.

I can't imagine Blade Runner without Vangelis' masterpiece soundtrack, for example.

The music in Twin Peaks is just fantastic.

Fans of the show must watch this video, if you haven't done so already!  

Thanks for mentioning this.  I will investigate it tonight if I can.

don’t get me started on Angelo Badalamenti. What an epic soundtrack. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Special K said:

Just finished the 4th part of "The Ripper".  It was enjoyable enough to binge watch all the way through, but it was kind of slow and plodding at times.  Still good though!

The insights about the ineptness/institutionalized misogyney of the police force were more interesting than the crime aspect of the story.  

28 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The insights about the ineptness/institutionalized misogyney of the police force were more interesting than the crime aspect of the story.  

I agree. The cops were obsessed with making him the second coming of “Jack the Ripper” instead of just doing good police work. If they could’ve put that to the side, they actually would’ve caught the killer a lot sooner, and many of the victims would never have lost their lives.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Watched The Little Things with Denzel and Jared Leto on HBOMax.  Started off kind of interesting, and then fell flat on its face.  I guess worth a watch if you’re bored, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

That was one the wife and I were considering seeing in the theater Friday night.  Ended up seeing Our Friend instead. 

17 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Watched The Little Things with Denzel and Jared Leto on HBOMax.  Started off kind of interesting, and then fell flat on its face.  I guess worth a watch if you’re bored, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Ill watch almost anything with denzel in it, but he was only going through the motions in this film. the movie dragged on to nowhere, almost literally.

34 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

That was one the wife and I were considering seeing in the theater Friday night.  Ended up seeing Our Friend instead. 

Good choice, I’m sure.

20 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Ill watch almost anything with denzel in it, but he was only going through the motions in this film. the movie dragged on to nowhere, almost literally.

The movie had a cool vibe to it initially.    Denzel’s performance was disappointing to say the least, and the writing for his character was dull.  Jared Leto’s character was intriguing.  Overall a very unsatisfying 2 hours of “entertainment.”

I stumbled across a relatively new documentary series on HBO last night.

"Lady and the Dale."

I saw parts 1 and 2.  It will be a 4 part series.  I don't think parts 3 or 4 have aired yet.

Sucked me right in; very well done and interesting story I was not familiar with.

Definitely recommended!

HBO this Sunday premieres a four-part documentary called "The Lady and The Dale" that traces the story of one of the biggest cons in auto industry history. It tells the tale of the Dale, a three-wheeler promoted as a cheap, light, and fuel-efficient commuter in the 1970s — and the story of the car's biggest promoter, the company founder who wound up in jail.

• Like (+1) 1