Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Watching Class Action Park on HBOMax right now, and this ***** is hilarious.

A documentary about a crazy water park in 1980s New Jersey.

Rides that caused injuries and deaths, and a staff of partying teens. The good ol days.

I watched this last week.  I was too young and we never made the way out to Action Park.  The story is pretty good.  I have mixed feelings about the park.  On one hand I think it is cool the owner just did what he wanted and designed all sorts of rides/attractions.  On the other hand, the blatant disregard for safety resulting in injury and death is brutal.  Flip flopping, if customers signed some waiver while entering my sympathy is reduced.

On 9/5/2020 at 10:14 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Rides that caused injuries and deaths, and a staff of partying teens. The good ol days.

23 hours ago, IslandBillsFan said:

I watched this last week.  I was too young and we never made the way out to Action Park.  The story is pretty good.  I have mixed feelings about the park.  On one hand I think it is cool the owner just did what he wanted and designed all sorts of rides/attractions.  On the other hand, the blatant disregard for safety resulting in injury and death is brutal.  Flip flopping, if customers signed some waiver while entering my sympathy is reduced.

Thanks for these comments.  I am always looking for new documentaries to watch, and about to turn this puppy on.

• Like (+1) 1

I was curious, had never heard of it before. Some of the "rides" they had there were nuts... especially the black tube ride lol. I found an 18 minute documentary on the place:

• Like (+1) 2

As kind of an aside, I never did watch the HBO documentary.  Turns out it's at "HBO MAX" which appears to be their version of Netflix, a subscription service you have to pay for, despite already paying for regular HBO!

Yeah, forget that nonsense. 

This doc is not on Netflix unfortunately.

As these content providers all fight with each other over exclusive content, the viewer is the loser.  We are going to have to subscribe to half a dozen services to be able to see all the stuff out there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

As these content providers all fight with each other over exclusive content, the viewer is the loser.  We are going to have to subscribe to half a dozen services to be able to see all the stuff out there.

I agree. The consumer is the big loser every time another streaming service is launched....especially in regards to older content.  Any of them can launch new content...good or bad. 

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

As kind of an aside, I never did watch the HBO documentary.  Turns out it's at "HBO MAX" which appears to be their version of Netflix, a subscription service you have to pay for, despite already paying for regular HBO!

It's funny because people thought they would be smart and ditch cable for Netflix and streaming services. Then the networks got smart and started their own streaming services and started pulling their content from the others like Netflix, leaving those ones to have to rely on making original programming. With all of these service being created, your now required to have to subscribe to a bunch of them to see what you want and paying close to what it cost for cable before, or balance subscribing and unsubscribing every month the ones that have something you may want to see. The problem I have is that there are now some that offer different tiers to their service to get their premium shows or stuff as it airs. There's one here that you can get older and less popular shows from the premium networks (HBO, Showtime, etc.) For one cost, then have to pay double that for the next level to get their current and most popular shows. 

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

It's funny because people thought they would be smart and ditch cable for Netflix and streaming services. Then the networks got smart and started their own streaming services and started pulling their content from the others like Netflix, leaving those ones to have to rely on making original programming. With all of these service being created, your now required to have to subscribe to a bunch of them to see what you want and paying close to what it cost for cable before, or balance subscribing and unsubscribing every month the ones that have something you may want to see. The problem I have is that there are now some that offer different tiers to their service to get their premium shows or stuff as it airs. There's one here that you can get older and less popular shows from the premium networks (HBO, Showtime, etc.) For one cost, then have to pay double that for the next level to get their current and most popular shows. 

It all depends on what people want. I don't watch much TV really... she does, but its usually the cooking channels, news, crime shows, and movies. Had DTV for 17 years and ditched it for Sling Blue. Basically the same stuff we watched anyways for a $130 or so a month saving. Granted, I'll be watching more tv now that the season is upon us so I added Sling Orange. $50 a month. There is a ***** ton of content on there.

Not to even mention the dozens of channels we get OTA. Bills games/any NFL games are no problem to watch, hockey too.

Its crazy to think of how much tv people watch nowadays... for the first 20 plus years of my life we had like 6-7 channels to work with. Now people want 500. Lets binge!

3 hours ago, T&C said:

It all depends on what people want. I don't watch much TV really... she does, but its usually the cooking channels, news, crime shows, and movies. Had DTV for 17 years and ditched it for Sling Blue. Basically the same stuff we watched anyways for a $130 or so a month saving. Granted, I'll be watching more tv now that the season is upon us so I added Sling Orange. $50 a month. There is a ***** ton of content on there.

Not to even mention the dozens of channels we get OTA. Bills games/any NFL games are no problem to watch, hockey too.

Its crazy to think of how much tv people watch nowadays... for the first 20 plus years of my life we had like 6-7 channels to work with. Now people want 500. Lets binge!

As someone who enjoys sports, movies, Documentaries, tv series I find it frustrating almost with how much stuff is out there all at the same time.  I just feel like there's never enough time to watch everything I have an interest in.  I know it sounds silly but it actually gives me anxiety in a way lol.  

Thanks, I found this very enjoyable.   Last I knew, some water parks still had some rides like some of those mentioned.  I didn't think the Wave Pool was that dangerous.

I can attest to the Alpine Slide being capable of giving you a good burn.

• Like (+1) 1

Watching Lovecraft Country on HBO Max. I really like it.

I'm curious about their other new show Raised by Wolves.

Sneaky Pete was a fantastic show and ended perfectly.

Cobra Kai on Netflix is shockingly good for a guy and his wife who loved Karate Kid.

On a side note, there's too much good TV out there for a guy like me who generally doesn't binge watch. I'm currently somewhere in the midst of watching The Expanse, Peaky Blinders, Ozark, Bosch, The Umbrella Academy, The Boys, Cobra Kai, and Lovecraft Country and am liking all of them but slowly getting through them.

Today I watched 2 1/2 hours of TV and had to do other stuff.

Fringe and Breaking Bad are the only 2 show my wife and I have ever truly binged.

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Cobra Kai on Netflix is shockingly good for a guy and his wife who loved Karate Kid.

my favorite movie of all time is the karate kid, and just started watching cobra Kai. It’s been great so far. I love the small things they do to take you down memory lane, with the same music, scenes at Daniel’s old apartment building, interspersing the flash backs.  

11 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

my favorite movie of all time is the karate kid, and just started watching cobra Kai. It’s been great so far. I love the small things they do to take you down memory lane, with the same music, scenes at Daniel’s old apartment building, interspersing the flash backs.  

I just finished watching it and thought it was pretty bad. All of the characters just seem to be annoying and the belief that anyone still remembers or cares about an under 18 Karate championship from over 30 years ago is stretching things. Then you have all of these karate fights breaking out with kids and adults fighting and no one is in trouble with the Law after them?

On 9/7/2020 at 1:23 PM, Nextmanup said:

Weird, MAX access was included with my family's HBO subscription on Verizon. Check with your provider, you may be able to get in through them.

I haven't seen Ted Lasso on Apple TV discussed. It's my surprise show/movie of 2020.  I put off watching because I assumed it would be a run-of-the-mill "fish out of water" show about an American college football coach hired to manage a English Premier League team. It has all the trappings of dumbed-down "Major League" but I was pleasantly wrong.

Jason Sudakis is outstanding as a relentlessly optimistic and good-natured guy whose success is based on his ability to bring out the best in people. That sounds like a annoying CBS sitcom but the show has a great deal of depth, a terrific, well-drawn cast of characters and appears to embrace a somewhat predictable story to toss a few curve balls.  I could not help but root for Ted Lasso and liked how they developed each character throughout the show. It's a "feel-good" show based on hope that does not get into hokum.  Special shoutout to "Coach Beard" who could join Ted Lasso as an all-time character. 

Another Apple TV program is "Greyhound" with Tom Hanks, who also wrote it. I'm surprised this compact, tense story about WWII destroyers protecting a convoy hasn't received more attention. I think it's well-done, good visuals and tight storytelling. 

Edited by Max Fischer

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

I haven't seen Ted Lasso on Apple TV discussed. It's my surprise show/movie of 2020.  I put off watching because I assumed it would be a run-of-the-mill "fish out of water" show about an American college football coach hired to manage a English Premier League team. It has all the trappings of dumbed-down "Major League" but I was pleasantly wrong.

Jason Sudakis is outstanding as a relentlessly optimistic and good-natured guy who's success is based on his ability to bring out the best in people. That sounds like a annoying CBS sitcom but the show has a great deal of depth, a terrific, well-drawn cast of characters and appears to embrace a somewhat predictable story to toss a few curve balls.  I could not help but root for Ted Lasso and liked how they developed each character throughout the show. It's a "feel-good" show based on hope that does not get into hokum.  Special shoutout to "Coach Beard" who could join Ted Lasso as an all-time character. 

I heard about that show, a former football coach with issues who goes to Europe and ends up coaching soccer. It was based off some commercials that were made for NBC I believe?

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Weird, MAX access was included with my family's HBO subscription on Verizon. Check with your provider, you may be able to get in through them.

Thanks for this comment.  I have Comcast cable, and MAX is not included in my regular TV package!  

I will revisit this again, though, to make sure.