Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

On 1/9/2020 at 8:19 AM, DCOrange said:

Didn't see it mentioned in here, but I got around to watching Dolemite Is My Name during one of my recent flights...man that movie is so good. Eddie Murphy and Wesley Snipes in particular are just awesome. Just a really well-made fun movie. I totally get why it's getting some award buzz.

One of my 2019 favorites. It could have been low-brow schlock but they created complex characters while making it entertaining and hilarious without using forced melodrama to propel the story.  IMO, Eddie Murphy deserved the Gold Globe Award. 

1 hour ago, zevo said:

Just finished up messiah...thought it was very good.

This is good to see. I'm 4 episodes in. Reminds me in some ways of The Leftovers, which is the best show I've ever seen in the "people dealing with the unexplained" category. 

Someone above mentioned Bloodline. That was a good show. Dark, but good. 

On 1/6/2020 at 10:49 PM, 4merper4mer said:

I liked S2 better because the main chick in S1 was annoying and the side characters in S2 were far better.  I didn't love how they handled the old girlfriend but I thought S2 was better.

I thought the general gist of the ending was very predictable and knew it about mid season.  I didn't know every specific detail of how it would play out but I was certain of the main component.

I also disagree on the too much Ellie.  I thought that made sense and was fine.

If they were setting up S3 at the end, it was weak and they should let it end anyway because the ending made sense.  

On 1/7/2020 at 9:17 PM, ricojes said:

Setting up S3 for sure...possible spoiler, so...

Hide contents

The new "You" is his mother?  Just a guess, but they mention her a lot and never say what happened to her.

Just finished S2 last night.  I didn't have it quite figured out (was actually headed in the right direction, but not really close with the details).  That's one reason I really liked S2.

Totally agree with 4mer re: Ellie.  I like the character and I think the kid is a good little actor, too.  

With the first girlfriend and the 2nd girlfriend (not naming names because I don't know how to do the spoiler thing) coming back to "haunt" him, we can expect more of that from others.  And the mom really intrigues me.  I have my guesses, but I'll hold onto them until S3 comes out.

All in all ... I really like this show.

On 1/17/2020 at 6:14 AM, westside2 said:

I heard season 3 of mindhunter on Netflix has been canceled. Anybody else hear this and why?

Fincher is busy with other projects   They may go back to it but not anytime soon.   I'm bummed, I thought it was a excellent series

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

All in all ... I really like this show.

Netflix has confirmed Season 3 for early 2021. The two leads in Season 2 will be returning. The first 2 seasons were based on books by Caroline Kepnes. She is nearly finished with a 3rd book in the series but unsure if the producers will wait for it.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 episodes into The Witcher... pretty weird but watchable. It's like one of those addictive B movies: bad acting and awkward storytelling, but plenty of action and intrigue to keep you watching and it makes just enough sense.

Loving The Outsider on HBO. Only 2 episodes up so far. It's one of Stephen King's latest books and I liked the book a lot. Show is pretty true to the book so far and has a good cast.

I'm enjoying but not in love with Peaky Blinders. Only about 5 episodes in, though.

Loved Jack Ryan.

Just looking for the next show to watch. 

I'll tell ya, nothing has really topped our experience watching the first 3 seasons of Fringe. It was probably 4 years ago now my wife and I dove into that and we've been looking for the next great experience since. We feel similarly the same way about Better Call Saul and did about Breaking Bad.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

On January 16, 2020 at 11:16 PM, 4merper4mer said:

3 episodes in to a SciFi show called The Feed on Amazon.  I could see it turning crappy but so far it is intriguing.

It sort of turned crappy.  It had the widest gap I've ever seen in a show between some very interesting premises and the lame way they were delivered.

There was some good stuff in the show but it was about a 6.  A few changes could have made it much better.

• Like (+1) 1

Recently watched a movie on Netflix from 2013 that I had completely missed when it came out called About Time. It is from the creator of Love Actually and has a bit of the same vibe. It’s stars Rachel McAdams and a very young Margot Robbie. The premise is: a young man turns 21 and his father, played by the great Bill Nighy,  lets him in on a little secret, namely that the men in his family can all time travel back to different parts along their own lifeline.

Most of the movie follows the typical romcom formula, but there is a pretty neat twist at the end that might cause you to get the sensation that you’re chopping some onions.

I highly recommend it, it was a terrific movie. 

83AECC15-31DB-415C-A990-0A0091AA4D1C.jpeg

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/17/2020 at 5:14 AM, westside2 said:

I heard season 3 of mindhunter on Netflix has been canceled. Anybody else hear this and why?

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/01/mindhunter-season-3-cast-contracts-cancelled-1202203667/

Fincher is working on another long-term project and the cast has been released from their contracts.  It hasn't been canceled as much as shelved indefinitely with no obligation to return.

So I haven’t seen many movies this millennium, but added Netflix to watch Aaron Hernandez documentary.

what films are must sees?  I will be watching with my lady

some films I’ve seen that I enjoyed- American Beauty, Usual Suspects, Being John Malkovich, Coen brother films, Butterfly Effect....

what else is good?  I like well written, plot twists, clever scripts

Im almost through season 2 of Titans (next I'm going to watch Doom patrol)

I completely forgot they filmed it in Toronto until there was mention of the FX guy that died while filiming

Then during season 7 when Robin is on the roof with the new Robin, you can see the lower section of the CN tower (while they are supposed to be in San Francisco)

Finished season 2 of Lost in Space on Netflix. I think it was more suspenseful than season 1, with many situations where it seems like someone isn’t going to survive. Parker Posey is a psychotic Dr Smith, much darker than the tv version.  Hopefully they’ll be another season as it ended with cliffhangers.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/23/2020 at 8:24 AM, Pete said:

So I haven’t seen many movies this millennium, but added Netflix to watch Aaron Hernandez documentary.

what films are must sees?  I will be watching with my lady

some films I’ve seen that I enjoyed- American Beauty, Usual Suspects, Being John Malkovich, Coen brother films, Butterfly Effect....

what else is good?  I like well written, plot twists, clever scripts

Have you ever seen the movie In Bruges? I know it's on Cinemax but probably purchasable on some streaming service.