Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

On 10/27/2019 at 5:41 AM, davefan66 said:

Don’t know if mentioned.

Amazon Prime “The Boys”.

Freaking good show.  Strange at times, but good.  First season just ended, 8 shows so an easy binge.  

I have superhero fatigue in a big way but this show was excellently done and surprising in a way Scorsese would approve of (see today's op.ed). 

On 11/5/2019 at 6:13 AM, Sundancer said:

I have superhero fatigue in a big way but this show was excellently done and surprising in a way Scorsese would approve of (see today's op.ed). 

I have not watched a single superhero film lately since Iron Man 3.  Except “Green Lantern”.   Have not watched a single Avengers or any other one.  That being said, this is a bit less of a superhero show for me.  Focus is more on the “regular folk”.

Special effects in the show are great.  When A-Train did what he did in the first episode, it was incredible.  Good actors, interesting story line.

Few  things...

Just finished Peaky Season 5 ..okay, not great, will watch season 6 when it hits.

I like history, Netwflix just put out Greatest Events in WW2 in color, and i have learned a few things..like meth amphetamines were very important to the  success of the Blitzkrieg strategy..hmm, never knew that.

I also enjoy the "Explained" series on Netflix..similar to Adam Ruins Everything" , but i think well done. Watch one last night on Meat..thought it well balanced, interesting etc.

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Few  things...

Just finished Peaky Season 5 ..okay, not great, will watch season 6 when it hits.

I like history, Netwflix just put out Greatest Events in WW2 in color, and i have learned a few things..like meth amphetamines were very important to the  success of the Blitzkrieg strategy..hmm, never knew that.

I also enjoy the "Explained" series on Netflix..similar to Adam Ruins Everything" , but i think well done. Watch one last night on Meat..thought it well balanced, interesting etc.

I'm not a fan of 'documentary' or information type movies out there anymore because I find that the line between them and propaganda is heavily blurred. It used to be you could watch something that was a 'documentary' and feel good knowing that the information presented is fact. Today it's so skewed towards the message they want to pass off as fact that you don't know the actual truth unless you just research it all yourself.

I watched Jeff Garlins standup special last night, it wasn't bad, really plugged John Mulaney at the end. Also was confused at the start because it didn't seem to have any real intro (unless I missed it), it just seemed to start with him on stage doing a joke. 

23 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I'm not a fan of 'documentary' or information type movies out there anymore because I find that the line between them and propaganda is heavily blurred. It used to be you could watch something that was a 'documentary' and feel good knowing that the information presented is fact. Today it's so skewed towards the message they want to pass off as fact that you don't know the actual truth unless you just research it all yourself.

I watched Jeff Garlins standup special last night, it wasn't bad, really plugged John Mulaney at the end. Also was confused at the start because it didn't seem to have any real intro (unless I missed it), it just seemed to start with him on stage doing a joke. 

the "explained" series is actually pretty fair i think...and historical documentaries from the BBC or PBS i tend to trust, but no doubt they present things based on today's values.....and i am sure history will look back at our generation and socital norms and they will look totally barbaric or misguided on a number of levels...its how we learn and progress i hope

7 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, which i can't believe it wouldn't have been, Schitt's Creek is a lot of fun to watch, i'm midway through season 3 and really enjoying it

I have to get back to it, as think I quit about mid way through season 2 but yeah I brought it up at one point but not sure if it's this thread or another one. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Poojer said:

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, which i can't believe it wouldn't have been, Schitt's Creek is a lot of fun to watch, i'm midway through season 3 and really enjoying it

I've watched the entire series, it's pretty good, Eugene Levy is good in it. He created it with his son who plays his son in the show. His actual daughter is the waitress in the cafe IIRC

5 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Loving this show.  Only on season 1, but it's a show both my wife and I love, which is a bonus because I get into a lot of shows that she just doesn't care for like Mindhunter.

Eugene Levy's been such a great character actor going all the way back to Splash in the 80s.

• Like (+1) 1

Bad blood (Netflix series, 2 seasons) is absolutely awesome and I highly recommend it. Just watched fractured (movie) on Netflix also, and thought it was quite good. Pretty entertaining all the way through. Netflix can be hit or miss with the way they end their movies, but this one was pretty good 

Finished season 1 of Another Life on Netflix, starring Katee Sackhoff of Battle Star Galactica fame. Set in the near future, an alien artifact lands on Earth which prompts a space journey by a large diverse group of 20-30 year olds to find out its origin and reason, led by Sackhoff. If you like the current versions of Lost in Space and Star Trek you’ll like it.