Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

3 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

I had high hopes for this show but found it unimaginative and dull.  Don't think I made it to the fourth episode.  

:beer:I hear you. I found the first season uninspired and a weird re-imagining of Clancy characters like Greer. Hoping for better with a season under their feet. We'll see though. 

6 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

I had high hopes for this show but found it unimaginative and dull.  Don't think I made it to the fourth episode.  

6 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

:beer:I hear you. I found the first season uninspired and a weird re-imagining of Clancy characters like Greer. Hoping for better with a season under their feet. We'll see though. 

My favorite part of the first series of Jack Ryan was the Dilly Dilly King as a Special Forces Operator :lol:

7 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Agreed about the series.  

As far as I'm concerned, there's only three branches of the Jack Ryan tree; The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games and Clear & Present Danger.  All other miss the mark.   

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, stony said:

Agreed about the series.  

As far as I'm concerned, there's only three branches of the Jack Ryan tree; The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games and Clear & Present Danger.  All other miss the mark.   

Yup. 

If you've read the books, they're in the middle of production on my favorite one: Without Remorse. The John Clark origin story basically. They cast Michael B Jordan as Clark, and moved it from the 60s/Vietnam/Baltimore to the 00s/Iraq/Baltimore. Very, very curious about how it's going to turn out. It's a project I killed myself trying to get made (ha - I never had a chance but I digress). I like Jordan a lot as an actor, I think he could make it REALLY interesting... but I'd feel better if I knew more about the script. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Yup. 

If you've read the books, they're in the middle of production on my favorite one: Without Remorse. The John Clark origin story basically. They cast Michael B Jordan as Clark, and moved it from the 60s/Vietnam/Baltimore to the 00s/Iraq/Baltimore. Very, very curious about how it's going to turn out. It's a project I killed myself trying to get made (ha - I never had a chance but I digress). I like Jordan a lot as an actor, I think he could make it REALLY interesting... but I'd feel better if I knew more about the script. 

It actually sounds good.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't on Netflix/Amazon but season 2 of Mr.Inbetween just started on FX. Thought the 1st season was great. First couple of shows started off a little slow but it picked up and is quite funny also.

Episode 1 of season 2 was a really good start to the season. Has anyone checked this show out yet? If not, give it a try and see what you think. I really like it myself.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

2 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

This isn't on Netflix/Amazon but season 2 of Mr.Inbetween just started on FX. Thought the 1st season was great. First couple of shows started off a little slow but it picked up and is quite funny also.

Episode 1 of season 2 was a really good start to the season. Has anyone checked this show out yet? If not, give it a try and see what you think. I really like it myself.

Mr InBetween and Snowfall are the best.  

Fx all day 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/5/2019 at 2:42 PM, Max Fischer said:

Sorry if there was already a conversation, but anyone watch "Dark" on Netflix. A German show. Don't want to give anything away but amazed by the writing and storyline.  Very complex but kept the twists coming at rapid clip.  

Just finished season 2. Really enjoyed it.

I was late to HBO's "The Night Of" but it was well worth the wait.  Very well-done, complex eight episode drama that grinds methodically through a crime. The mystery is very good but almost secondary to the effect a crime has on people. I hope the writing/directing team create another show.  Rate: 9/10

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/14/2019 at 9:19 AM, plenzmd1 said:

Reminder "Country Music" by Ken BUrns starts tomorrow night. I am not a fan of country music per se, but i like his films. PBS at 8 .

I liked country music back in the 50's and 60's, not so much now, but Burns has done it again.  I found it very entertaining and filled with interesting facts, typical Burns.  The part where they start calling "Country Music" Country Music could be listed in TIL.  Some of the artists they feature are amazing, and I would never have thought there were so many great ones over the history of Country, and they didn't even hit the 60's yet.  And by artists I mean writers and musicians.  The 60's and 70's in rock had nothing over some of these guys.

1 minute ago, Greybeard said:

I liked country music back in the 50's and 60's, not so much now, but Burns has done it again.  I found it very entertaining and filled with interesting facts, typical Burns.  The part where they start calling "Country Music" Country Music could be listed in TIL.  Some of the artists they feature are amazing, and I would never have thought there were so many great ones over the history of Country, and they didn't even hit the 60's yet.  And by artists I mean writers and musicians.  The 60's and 70's in rock had nothing over some of these guys.

I am struggling with it...i justr have no interest in country music, but I like his stuff. Just finished episode 1 last night.

The only other film he has done i did not get engrossed in is The War..the WW2 doc. Just did not pull me in either

8 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I am struggling with it...i justr have no interest in country music, but I like his stuff. Just finished episode 1 last night.

The only other film he has done i did not get engrossed in is The War..the WW2 doc. Just did not pull me in either

I'm a documentary junkie, so I find most of them interesting.  The fact that many of them were dirt poor before hitting it, the links between Country, Folk and R&B, the skill I never realized existed at the time and the fact that three of the biggest country stars at the time, learned their trade from black musicians.  There are even more that I can't recall.

Oh yeah, one more I just thought of.  The hit that Scruggs had with a song he had worked out with Bill Monroe after he left Monroe's band, with only one chord change from the original. That must have happened before Copyright.

3 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

I was late to HBO's "The Night Of" but it was well worth the wait.  Very well-done, complex eight episode drama that grinds methodically through a crime. The mystery is very good but almost secondary to the effect a crime has on people. I hope the writing/directing team create another show.  Rate: 9/10

Watched it when it first aired and really enjoyed it as well.

50 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I am actually not a huge fan of Ken Burns, despite the critical acclaim he seems to receive.

I did enjoy The Civil War, but it has mostly been downhill since then.

For those who may have watched his recent Vietnam documentary and enjoyed it, or walked away wanting more...

I would urge you to look into an earlier PBS Documentary series first aired in 1983 entitled "Vietnam: A Television History."

In many ways, it's a lot better than Ken Burns' work.  

13 parts. 

Pretty sure the entire thing is on Youtube for free.

• Like (+1) 1